WEBBERS - advice please

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Summer75, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Summer75

Summer75 Member

Hi. We're considering having our 43 year old twin Solex carbies replaced on our 2lt Kombi with Webbers after hearing good things about them. Can anyone tell us more about doing this, your experience with them, and do you know if it can be a straight replacement? We've heard conflicting advice about needing internal engine modifications to accommodate the Webbers?? Thanks!

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Can't help re Weber's but a properly reconditioned set of solex assisted by a good record vac dissy work well.
    Don't use a worn set as a guide.
    Vw king.( Andrew) is recommended go to for this.

An option that will cost less than the weber swap.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I prefer Dellorto DRLA 40's over Weber IDF 40's. Mainly because they take a larger idle over Weber IDFs

I would also be buying rebuilt Italian carbs as a first choice. Alfa1750 on eBay is your man.

New Spanish Webers next.

Personally I don't like the HPMX and other IDF copies out there.

Get a quality linkage as well. CSP Bell linkage is my preference. Aluminium hex bar are a waste of time.

I would also learn about jetting carbs. Otherwise you will be paying $$$ to set them out.
    Especially the Chinese copies are no where near the right set up.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Ask 1500king;).
    Cheers

Summer75 likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. That's who I meant.
    He will advise stock.

6. Summer75

Summer75 Member

Thanks. Yeah that’s our other option to have the Solex overhauled. I’ve been quoted about half the coast of new Spanish Webbers, so doing our research on both options.

cbus likes this.
  7. Summer75

Summer75 Member

Ok good to know, thanks. Gives us something more to look in to. Yeah been told to avoid the Chinese Webbers at all cost!

David H likes this.
  8. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

I’m running reconditioned Italian Webber’s on my 1800 & couldn’t be happier ! :cool:

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good advice provided and budget you have may be decider and consider standard engine and standard carbs (with a complete overhaul) could cause less issues overall for you.

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I have run two engines with Dual Kadrons on them. They are brilliant too.
    So another option depending on what you can get and what price.

I don't know enough about them internally to be much help but I will say that a good linkage is worth the money. You want a nice solid bar and connection points so everything opens and closes perfectly.

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Well I have the Gen3 40 HPMX carbs on my kombi and have finally got them dialled in and they are better than the Italian 40 IDF carbs that I took off.

I run the CSP bell crank linkage but it involves re-routing the accelerator cable.

I think if your engine is stock then stick with the stock carbs. If you have bigger valve heads, increased bore, free flowing exhaust then you can consider a carb upgrade as part of a package.

Keep in mind that the Solex will give the best overall start up, warm up and economy.

oldman, 68BUS and rstucke like this.
  12. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Totally agree

13. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Let me know if per chance you are considering a RPR 40mm IDF Carb Kit, as I'll probably be selling one. They are probably Chinese, but made to the specifications of and recommended by Rod Penrose Racing. Have been jetted and had a manifold tapped as appropriate.
    http://rodpenroseracing.com.au/rpr-...-kombi-bolt-on-kit-includes-free-jetting.html

27661-0771c27282bcb5199e0875d9882959a2.jpg IMAG4308 (478x800).jpg VW 09_09_2017 006 (800x600).jpg

They have been bolted on, but not fired up and as such are unused and completely brand new.
    I'm expecting I won't need them as I'm now looking into doing a complete engine rebuild/upgrade and in doing this I'll probably change over to EFI with a full on Haltech engine management system and as such I won't need Carbs at all.

Not looking to make my money back and happy to sell for a good price if you want to try something alternate to Webbers at significantly less cost. I paid full price, but they won't be worth anything to me if I switch over to EFI and as such I'm happy to move them on cheaply to another KC member if you just want to give them a go (i.e. and significantly limit your loss if they don't end up being what you want).

Send me a PM if interested. I'm in Sutherland so delivery is not an issue.

Cheers
    Euan

P.S. Mods - Apologies if not considered totally relevant and please delete if not appropriate.
    Didn't post in "For Sale" section as I'm not selling yet and I only raised it here as RPR is prob a 30min drive from this KC member and as such will probably come up in her search for options.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    oldman likes this.
  14. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

I advise both!

Stockies are perfect for a stock to mild motor. It really also depends on driveability and fuel economy you want too.... like ..... fuel economy.....and.... starting on cold days... tuning consistency...etc.

cbus likes this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Euan, post ok as provides another option :cool: