Welder Advice

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Farky66, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey, Im thinking of buying a welder so i can practice and hopefully get good enough to do some panel work on my van. Just wondering what welder would be best for thin sheet metal? I was thinking a mig welder would probably be my best bet. I know that you need gas for a stronger weld, i.e structural, but i was wondering if a gas less mig welder would do the trick for panel work?

Thanks
    Lochie

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

No
    save yourself the hassle and get a gas one

StevieVW likes this.
  3. Farky66

Farky66 Member

ok no worries thanks cbus, quite pricey im guessing?

4. Nutta

Nutta Member

What did you get? I would always recommend gas, always make sure your metal is clean (no paint or rust, bare metal) and practise practise practise to ensure your weld penetrate properly. If you have to weld really thin sheet try and get a thick of brass behind the weld area to absorb the heat (brass won't stick). I have a BOC 175 welder with size E gas cylinder, it can weld from car body material to 10mm, when I first bought it the size E gas cylinder lasted 6 years as I only welded on occasion (bought it when I was flush with cash!!) started to repair my Kombi, ran out of gas quite quick! Now I think I am on my 3rd gas cylinder!! (only got a new one last week, I think Size E from supagas has 4.9 cubic meters of gas in it) so have used a bit over the 4 year resto (still not finished!!), if you are only welding on occasion perhaps a small throw away cylinder is appropriate as you don't have to rent the cylinder, if you are doing a nuts and bolts complete resto a lager rented cylinder will be more feasible.

5. grantw

grantw Member

Just doing a bit of thread digging and I too am interested in getting a Mig welder to expand on my skills and inevitable rust repairs. My reading says that I will likely need something around 180amp with gas, but it's very confusing out there in first time mig buyer land and my question is not so much what spec but which one in that spec .

I was looking at a CIG Transmig 175i today which was around $1200, but I also saw a CIG Weldskill 185 for half that price. They appeaer to be almost the same on paper (well on the box). Am I right in assuming that Weldskill are a chinesium grade welder (like Hobart and the really cheap ones you see at Bunnings)? Or are they decent and the Transmig would be overkill?

Any suggestions?

6. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Grant
    I like the Transmig 175i (if I was buying another MIG) - not only is it a MIG welder but its also a stick welder and a TIG as well.
    The Weldskill as far as I can see is only a stick welder.

The 175i takes a 5 kg wire roll which is good
    Be aware - the 175i comes with a 15 amp power lead.
    The duty cycle is reasonable -
    -Duty cycle is a welding equipment specification which defines the number of minutes, within a 10 minute period, during which a given welder can safely produce a particular welding current. For example, a 150 amp. welder with a 30% duty cycle must be "rested" for at least 7 minutes after 3 minutes of continuous welding.
    Don't use a gas cylinder from bunnings, cheaper to rent one from Supagas
    My welder is a Transmig 200, running .8 wire and supagas mix for mild steel.
    My latest buy for the welder is a auto shield - great stuff, get one with a large viewing window.
    Peter

grantw likes this.
  7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I’ve got the 175i had it for about 7 years now

Very easy to use and very fine adjustment.

Just be aware that it’s DC output only which apparently is not suitable for Aluminium TIG welding.

grantw likes this.
  8. grantw

grantw Member

Thanks for that Peter and Saabman. That's encouraging to hear that the Transmig is decent and easy to use.

9. peter915

peter915 Active Member