1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well here it is the work has begun on the Kombi of Hope!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Kombi of Hope, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat Member

It's so exciting to see you girls getting this happening! Keep the pics coming :)

2. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Pouring with rain and windy enough for Mary Poppins to arrive on the doorstep so no resto work this weekend :( Kombi is sitting out in the driveway since we knocked down the garage to put in an above ground pool .... all seems a bit hasty in hindsight!!!

3. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Perfect weather for swimming too, by the sounds of it. :p

4. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

More like mud wrestling i think :p

5. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat Member

Rain and restos just don't go together. I swear as soon as I started ours it started raining for 6 months! Hope the weather fines up for you, we are heading down south in a few weeks, probably only make it as far as Coffs though. Wish you lived further north!

6. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Good to see it all happening, hope the rain stops down there soon.
    If you moved up this way you wouldn't have the rain issue for at least 8 months of the year :)
    keep up the good work for the good cause

jono

7. Diddlie

Diddlie New Member

What a great effort - good luck with it, not that you'll need it. :heart:

8. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Did it rain today girls ?

9. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Well it was a busy day again on the KOH:) .The husbands had a huge day of grinding and made lots discovery's.
    We post some more info and photo's tomorrow as after such a big day they have had a well deserved few beers.:p
    Some how i don't think we will have her ready in time for tomorrows konvoy though...:rolleyes:

10. greenbay

greenbay New Member

C'mon guys you still have 12 hours or so:lol:

11. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

I think if i told the guys that they would think that would mean 12 more drinking hours.:lol:

12. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Day 2 in the KoH Resto !

Well, here it is, day 2 of the Kombi of Hope resto.

Verity and I had a very busy day selling cakes for school (local elections) and then taking all the kids off to a birthday party. It was a very tiring and strenuous day as you can imagine.

While we were off doing all that, our lovely husbands had another grueling but very productive day of KOH resto.

So here we go….
    The day started out with the removal of the bull bar and then the bumper bar. We were unsure as to what we were going to find … or not. Turns out the “or not” bit was a tad hopeful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we thought there was a huge amount of rust under the bumper with most of the lower front apron gone. Also lots of rough looking bog work happening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

[​IMG]

Then out came the windscreen. We knew that we’d find some rust but found a little more than expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

We even the kids got involved again...

[​IMG]

Dash out and all the wiring went into a plastic box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After looking a little closer with a screw driver at the bubbles of rust above the air vent intake, this was not surface rust as first thought.

There was only one solution for this……:eek:

15. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

[​IMG]

Did a bit of clean up with the gurney inside

[​IMG]

So here is her home under the stars, well the makeshift tarp “garage”

[​IMG]

We also made another discovery today – seems like the KOH had previously been in an accident being hit in the sliding door, that’s why we had trouble closing it.

We’re not discouraged by any of findings as we would rather get all the rust repaired so the old girl can be around for many more years to come doing her bit for the Cancer Council.

We’ve had a huge breakthrough this week with one very generous offering from a KC member. Komuter / Peter has donated $500 to the Kombi of Hope. As we’ve told him many times - thank you, thank you, thank you. Words can’t express how much this means to us all.

Perry at Penfolds Automotive is on board as a sponsor too, so the project has been given a major kick-start. With their financial backing, our willingness to have a go and the help and advice from KC, our bus is definitely a few steps nearer to being a reality.

Plus, there will some Kombi of Hope t-shirt wearing KC members around soon.:heart:

16. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Wow

Believe it or not, I think that the KoH and Rocky are very closely related, very close in colour, same model, scarily similar rust, except that I have it around the side windows where the pop outs have been leaking, My front apron is very similar, and the windscreen is a little scary to poke at. I am still driving it at the moment until we have the beetle up to the standard of being a reliable driver. Every time we think we are there, something weird happens as if she gets worried about what will happen to Rocky, so she has a dummy spit and we have to keep Rocky running a little longer.

I look forward to following your progress with a lot more interest now that I have seen the same similarities.

Cheers, Chris

17. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I just did some reading about the Kombi of Hope and what it represents, Congratulations guys on getting it started, we will be certainly following with a lot of interest and look forward to seeing you guys on the road.
    Cheers, Chris

18. komuter

komuter Guest

pitty about the rust. these things are only sent to test us, so you may need some panels after all .make sure those boys get a beer tonight .keep up the good work

19. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Oh no - we've yet to take out the windows .... thanks for all the nice words and we hope to see your resto up here keeping ours company Chris :)

20. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

WoW your lads have got there fingers out, youre putting me to shame!!

Now for the welder guys!