1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well here it is the work has begun on the Kombi of Hope!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Kombi of Hope, Aug 31, 2008.

1. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Awesome job guys, it's coming along nicely. :cool:
    Look forward to seeing more progress pics.

2. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I'm so proud of you two (and Ian and Nathan of course!). :D

At least when you're all at Bonnie Hills and we're all sitting around admiring the KOH, you'll be able to talk about her as if you know every square inch of her. You probably will by that time. :lol:

3. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Time to get some serious welding done - on with lower inner front panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then time to line up the lower outer front panel in preparation for cutting off the excess. Fingers crossed we measured it all up correctly .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Perfect job!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kombi of Hope is beginning to look like a kombi again!

[​IMG]

And that was it for the welding for the day - Nathan and his Dad Ken rock! Next job is to fix up the windscreen part.

5. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Meanwhile Ian got busy with the front brake resto

Machined disks and replaced pads and seals.

[​IMG]

New master brake cyclinder and repainted vaccuum chamber

[​IMG]

Just need to buy some new bearings and front brakes can be put back together.

Custard and Ollie had a ball whilst all this was going on - we'll be able to judge our progress on KOH by how quickly these two trouble makers grow!!

[​IMG]

And that's all for now. Another day planned for next week. More welding, do front brakes. Kelly and Celia are back on Wednesday - might have sandpaper handy :)

6. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Get them working verity

Rev.

7. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

It looks like time to buy more T shirts for more of my family.

8. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Are you going to post a photo of yourselves wearing your t-shirts? They are the first to go overseas after all :)

9. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

I want to wait for the better half of Two Yanks to get to feeling better so we can do them justice. (As good as we can anyway) Lue wears hers all the time but I will have to get her a smaller size soon.

10. Animal

Animal Active Member

re resto

Good to see your project coming along guys, its not the best job in the world but its the satisfaction you get from restoring something thats a little worst for ware I reckon.

I would like a shirt if they come in white.
    cheers Shaun.

11. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Girls
    I still haven't forgotten about my Tshirt pic.
    My tshirt is being altered for me by Faye ...
    when I get it back I will post the pic for you...promise
    Judy [​IMG]

12. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Ian finished off the front brakes whilst I was away communing with nature up in Bellingen last week. I'd already cleaned off all the grease and crap from under the wheel arches, so he applied rust treatment and sprayed it all shiny black.

From this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front brakes reassembled today and wheels back on - one job FINISHED. He's a champion.

13. greenbay

greenbay New Member

hope he didn't paint the bunny wabbit

14. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

He also got stuck into the underneath whilst away and finished off the job we started before Christmas!!

From this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photos don't really do the transformation justice since our camera died and we had to use mobile phone instead.

15. komuter

komuter Guest

does'nt that look better,well done

16. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Yeah sorry..i think we have your camera charger...oh BTW...did celia leave her bra there?..lol...shes lost it and she only had one..Hahahahaha.

17. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Today we dismantled the back brakes - just as crappy a job as the front ones! Need new pads, brakes cylinders, hoses - good job Perry at Penfolds generously donated them. He's a superstar.

[​IMG]

Verity spent the afternoon cleaning off the grease and dirt - she must love this kombi coz it's a shite job. Photos still on mobile phone of finished product. Wire brushing, rust treatment and shiny new paint to follow ..... woo hoo.

Ian, meanwhile got stuck into the engine bay and by the end of the day had a pile of bits on the ground - alternator, tin ware, exhaust, distributor, and hundreds of nuts and bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual, Verity has been defeated by PhotoBucket and apologises for photos being upside down and rotated :mad:

Verity wasn't there to hear but I'm sure there was heaps of swearing happening . . . everything was seized up after years of neglect.

Plan is to clean up engine bay and tinware, paint inside, fix battery tray, and redo alternator. Decided it wasn't worth the effort to take out engine coz it seems to be running fine . . .

Driver's side heat exchanger appears stuffed - anyone got a spare one handy or can they be fixed where the exhaust pipes enter the exchange unit?

Wish she was ready to drive to Nimbin but Bonnie Hills it will have to be!

18. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

I've had a look through all my underwear and no interloper bras to be found :lol:

19. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

P.S. Back bumper is stuffed - would try to beat out kinks and dents but sure to make it worse. Anyone got a spare one they don't need hanging around taking up space? Thank you :)

20. davidp.

davidp. Member

Hi Guys,
    Geez, this ain't no quick makeover is it...you are no turning it a major resto...it'll all be worth it. You'll have an excellent van and you'll know it really well.
    Can't help with the bits you need at the moment.
    Good luck.
    I''m with Shaun...I'll have a t-shirt if you do any in white.....purple?...nah.
    Although, my colour blind mate wore a really bright purple t-shirt for years - he thought it was a really cool dark blue.
    Cheers,
    David