1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well here it is the work has begun on the Kombi of Hope!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Kombi of Hope, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Melly

Melly Member

Thanks for the update ladies! Coming along nicely, I can't wait to see the finished product in person. You both (and the KOH team) should be very proud of yourselves, you are doing a fantastic job and the Bank Statement is growing wich is awesome to see! I'm sure the Rally will help increase that total too :)

After expressing my interest to Verity on how I can help increase the KOH funds; I have decided to donate 5% of all profits made from my Kombi related T-Shirts and Canvas Prints for the months of April and May. (I will more than likely extend this date) At the moment this may not be a lot but I figure every dollar helps.

Best of Luck to the Kombi of Hope!!! :)

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Incredible job guys.

I have to say it, I think 1972 yelowy coloured cars must have had common rust points, as ours was a shocker, a lot of rust in very similar places to yours, great to see it has not turned you off and great to see everyone getting stuck into it there. I wimped out and sent mine away for surgery, so I take my hat off to you guys.
    I think I did win the "most rust for a 72" prize though!!!!!

Great job, looking forward very much to seeing the real purple when it comes through and will certainly be looking to catch up when we come south.

Cheers, Chris

3. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

woooo hooooo update!!!! good onya

4. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Thanks - how's Merlin coming along?

5. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

EEEEEERRRRRRRMMMMMM not much happening because the workshop is soooooo busy atm. Merlin keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue! POOR THING!!!
    We have two big jobs finishing this week and the merlin is going to get hit hard!!

i Think!

6. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Well that's a positive thing in the current economic climate :)

Although it is reassuring to know that someone else's lowlight resto sometimes has to take a back seat too ;)

Good luck with it Jay - i hope you get to do some work on Merlin soon.

7. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

Yes, everyone of my costomers keeps asking "hows the kombi coming along?" so i need to do some more work on it so that i can silence them!

Gotta pay the bills first i supose, and being a relatively new busines we have to keep our costomers happy!

8. Archeress

Archeress Guest

I have seen the kombi of hope up close and personal and it is coming along fine. A worthy cause and is well on the way to completion.:)

9. Archeress

Archeress Guest

I think i might have to come down when its purple time.

10. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

i might have to come down when its purple time....

Unvaling of another "purple" one...I am SOOO there!!! :)
    Judy

11. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Just a quick update - rust almost finished, pop top off and about to be sanded back, holes filled. Going to have a go at making a new pop top canvas ourselves.

Now for the bogging and sanding and then . . . some purple!!!! Think we may have found a keen spray painting guru (he even spray painted the front door of his house!)

Will try and post some photos soon. Just wanted to keep eveyone in the loop.

Cheers, Verity and Meg

12. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Hey guys! :D

So good to hear from you. And equally as good to hear that the KoH resto is still ticking along nicely. You know the rules too - once there are pics, they have to be posted! :p

Keep well.

Julian. :)

13. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Just the other day I wondered what was happening in the KOH world.
    Glad to hear you are still going with it.
    Keep at it guys.
    Oh and don't forget to take lots more piccies :)

jono

14. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

So here's what's been happening in the KOH world recently

Welded in a new passenger side tray

[​IMG]

I'm not sure anymore what this bit is - front pillar I think where door attaches.

[​IMG]

We decided to take the pop top off. We need a new canvas, the pop top itself needs some fixing up and a nice new coat of paint will have it looking like new.

[​IMG]

So Megan and I got stuck in. The screws were all rusted tight. We made sure we took lots of photos of the inside to show us how to re-attach the canvas!

[​IMG]

15. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even Custard came to help!

[​IMG]

The canvas is just one big piece with one seam down the back. Surely it can't be that hard to sew one up? Fitting it back in properly will be the problem methinks.

So the pop top came off but what did we find lurking underneath it in the roofline????

16. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

More holes! More welding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Off to get the kids from school so will post rest of photos later this afternoon. Come back to see just how bad Megan and I are at bogging!!! :lol: :lol:

18. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

So Nathan and Ian cut out all the rust and welded in some new panels. We figured it didn't have to be a A1 job since it would all be hidden under the pop top and the roof lining inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

[​IMG]

Over the weekend, we got stuck back into the front. Sanded off all the little bubbles of rust and dabbed on the rust kill.

[​IMG]

First layer of bog . . .

[​IMG]

This is the end result after Verity's attemps - might let Ian be the chief bogger!!

[​IMG]

20. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Megan's attempt at the back left hand corner wasn't much better and Ian has told all of us, whoever does the bogging, does the sanding. Good luck Megan!

[​IMG]

This was the end result after a very long Sunday. Put some grey undercoat on to stop bits rusting again and looking forward to the next layer of bog . . . :rolleyes:

We also decided to take the windows out to see if there were any nasty surprises under the seals.

[​IMG]

We only found this little bit

[​IMG]