1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well here it is the work has begun on the Kombi of Hope!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Kombi of Hope, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

So the pop top is now on the verandah for some TLC.

[​IMG]

Any helpful hints on how to fill in holes in the fibreglass, fix up the crazy cracking and generally refurb an old pop top would be very much appreciated.

Plans for this week are to vacuum the inside, scrub all the dirt off with sugar soap and elbow grease and finish the front panel. Think we might be spending some money at Roy's on some new bits and pieces too :)

There are twelve weeks to our launch at the Newcastle / Lake Macquarie Relay For Life. Nothing like a tight deadline that has to be fufilled in front of a 1,000 strong crowd to get you motivated ;)

Cheers, Verity and Megan

2. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Oh, and we meant to say a big thank you to Melly for her donations of 5% of her sales of her fantastic t-shirts to the KOH. Every little bit helps us towards having our purple dream on the road xxx

3. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Good progress Girls - looking forward to November!

Rev.

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

For the fibreglass, I would be asking a boat builder or surfboard shaper for any hints/tips/tricks.

5. davidp.

davidp. Member

Hi Guys,
    You can fill any cracks and crazing with fibreglass putty (as used in bogging up ya rust). The top is fibreglass after all. Sand down till smooth.
    Then lightly sand the whole top
    Then you can paint it with a good quality oil based enamel. The light sanding will make the paint stick (like the proverbial _ _ _ _ on a blanket). I rolled mine with high density sponge rollers...still as glossy as when I did it 18 months ago.
    I'll show you when I come over to show you the new canvas.
    Cheers,
    David

6. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Thanks David. Wasn't sure if we could use the same stuff as we have for bogging the rust. Spent the day yesterday with my rubber gloves on, a bucket of sugar soap and some groovy tunes on in the background . . . and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. The front cab is looking pretty clean now . . .

And NO jokes about scrubbers please :)

7. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Give the inside a scub with some Jiff, works a treat!

8. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Jiff is great Kombirod! Got rid of a lot of the grot!

Anyway, to continue the KOH resto thread . . .

Wonderful - we now have a sign (decal) sponsor who has been a long term Relay For Life sponsor. Thank you heaps to Harvey from Formation Signs. All sponsor logos and any other signange will be donated by Harvey.

It's fantastic - we now have a tyre sponsor - Ken Bonwick from Bob Jane T-Marts, Parry Street, Newcastle. Thank you heaps to Jay for setting this up for us.

And guess what, our spray painter who is behind us 100%, has organised a spray booth and his company he works for is willing to sponsor us for the paint job!

With 7 weeks to go until KOH launch, we are all sleeping a little bit easier and wish to thank everyone who has helped us along to the eventual launch of Kombi of Hope to defeat cancer!

We will save the last lot of photos for one final resto post - KOH from rust bucket orange to shiny purple and white :)

Best wishes . . . KOH team xxxx

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

It sometimes feels like we are posting into a vacuum - we post and no-one comments hence the lack of recent posts. We freely admit that finding a cure for cancer is our primary goal here, not the Kombi (as much as we love her) and if this offends some of you, then we are truly sorry.

We are so very close to finishing our resto now and would like to say a huge thank you to all of those who have supported us loyally throughout, despite the gainsayers and personal events they know or care nothing about. It has been a hard 16 months of slog that many of you will identify with but all worth it in the end.

This project means everything to us and our families, especially our children, who have learnt about hard work, commitment, generosity, charity and community giving through this project.

KOH is off to the spray painters on Saturday. Who cares about painting Newcastle red, we're going to paint her PURPLE

So thank you once again to everyone who has organised fundraisers for us, designed our website, bought our t-shirts and Karma the KOH pig, donated money, given us advice and support, found us sponsors, come to stay, sung Singstar, read to our children and made us laugh. You all know who you are and you will always be a part of Kombi of Hope and her journey into the future :heart:

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Well said.

I know how demoralising it was for us at times to post up and try try try to get a response but nothing would come. I just had to keep on reminding myself to check out how many people are looking.

There are a lot of us following this resto and I know that I for one am watching with keen interest.

Keep up the hard work, nearly there now, we can not wait to see the finished purple beast.

Will be awesome to see KoH for real when we pass through Newcastle in a couple of months.

Chris:cool: :D

11. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

I only just got onto this resto and probably only because I noticed that somebody had posted today, which caught my eye.

Anyway, what I found is nothing short of brilliant. What an accomplishment people. I'll be attempting a general tidy up and fit-out of my Kombi over the Christmas/New Year period and can only hope that mine will come any where near the standard of work that's gone in the Kombi of Hope, especially the underneath. Not so easy fixing and cleaning things when you're working under a vehicle. A real credit to you!!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished project and hopefully we'll meet up some time.

12. greenbay

greenbay New Member

I have been watching the thread and reading every post.sorry for my lack of input ,but you know how it is with us strong silent types:eek: .The koh is a credit to both of you girls(and your families) and to all of the wonderful people who have assisted in any way.
    Let us hope that one day in the not too distant future a cure can be found for this terrible disease.
    Keep up the great work Megan and Verity you are both champions.:heart:

13. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Okay – here’s an update that covers August / September and this weekend! We think we may have posted some of these pics before . . . oops!

Got stuck in with the grinder and got rid of all the tiny rust bubbles – the front was the worst! KOH has measles.

[​IMG]

Verity’s bogging! Anyone want an apprentice . . . NOT!

[​IMG]

Megan’s bogging. It really is bog, not icing. Note: she owes Ian one since she didn’t sand it off.

[​IMG]

Niamh after a hard day’s sugar soaping. Looks like the spare tyre will have to go elsewhere now.

[​IMG]

14. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Measles clearing – calamine lotion applied.

[​IMG]

Measles cleared. Coat of primer applied from spray can to stop rust coming back.

[​IMG]

Nathan got into grinding /sanding the doors and back panel. Original bog appeared. Someone had side swiped her in the past which is originally what we thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pop top proved to be a trickier job than we’d anticipated. Thought bog was bad enough but fibre glass repair stuff sets so hard. Nightmare to sand off without removing even more gelcoat. Verity gave up. Put pop top in too hard basket for the moment, but it makes a great work bench.

[​IMG]

Roof sanded back to metal and then primed. Phew, no holes.

[​IMG]

16. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Ian starts to spray on primer. PPG Industries are now a major sponsor of the KOH, supplying all the paint. What champions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More measles. Seems M and V’s bogging and sanding wasn’t quite up to scratch. And don’t even get the spray painter started on our efforts. But then he’s a perfectionist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

[​IMG]

How to fill up a hole – mix bog with fibre glass strands and you are left asking “Hole? What hole?”!

[​IMG]

October Friday 2nd October
    KOH is about to go PURPLE! Primer is all done and Meg, Verity, Nathan and Ian are pretty happy coz they are completely over the sanding part! We know each and every bit of KOH intimately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

She started first go in the driveway after months of sitting idle. She must be keen to have a change of scenery and colour.

[​IMG]

Doors will go later. Still a few last minute bits of sanding and bogging to do, especially where a plant pot threw itself at the back left corner just before KOH left the driveway . . . aaaagh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off she goes . . .

[​IMG]

19. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

She’s already taking on the big boys . . .

[​IMG]

It was a rush to get her inside before the rain hit. She’s as grey as the sky but tomorrow she will be PURPLE. Imagine – purple rain would have been cool.

[​IMG]

Safe and sound in the spray booth. Big thank you to Tony of Race Art (Maitland) for the loan of the booth and all his equipment (especially over a long weekend).

[​IMG]

Now, which colour shall we choose???

[​IMG]

20. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Oh, Cadbury purple seems fitting considering Megan’s love of chocolate! Here’s Peter, our wonderful spray painter. Nice outfit Pete!

[​IMG]

Kasper the Kombi – getting ready for a ghostly Halloween. Kids thought KOH should be called Tinky Winky off the Tellytubbies. The jury is still out on that one!

[​IMG]

And on goes the white on the top half.

[​IMG]

Ooooh, she’s all SHINY

[​IMG]