1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Explorer Road in Kombi?

Discussion in 'Tas' started by Doody, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Doody

Doody Member

Hi

Travelling to Tas in January and planning to take the Western Explorer road from Zeehan to Arthur River.

Just wondered if anyone had done the trip in a Kombi and how they found it.

The dirt itself is not a problem but just wondering about the hills and tight turns.

Thanks

Doody

2. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Myself and Amanda have done it but we broke an IRS bolt so the wheel was at a funny angle along the way, you'll want good shocks tho; plenty of corrugations. We did it in a 1600 too.

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

We did it in 1999 in the '82 camper with no dramas. Can vouch for the rough track.

Ian

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Did the northern part of it in a loop from marrawah and the road is rough. Pay to check everything is tight before and after as you will get shaken.

Adrian

5. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Where abouts in Tassie are you visiting?

6. Doody

Doody Member

Heading down the centre to Hobart then back up to Strahan, up the Western Explorer, across the tio and then the East coast. What do you think? We have nearly 3 weeks.

7. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

you'll see alot but you'll wish you had more time.

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

We spent a month down there and still have to go back to see the rest. I reckon a couple of months would be ideal but doubt that you would see all. There is just so much to see and do.

Ian

9. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

Don't let Stevie's IRS bolt story scare you off - I'll admit it was probably my rough driving :) The western Explorer is a part of Tassie that a lot of Tasmanians don't see, so all the more reason to go! Corinna (at the Zeehan end of the Explorer) is worth a day or two. Old miners cottages are set up for accommodation or you can camp and spend the days canoeing the Pieman, hiking etc. Another world. The Arthur River Forest Drive just south of Smithton is worth a look too if you're into camping in the real wilderness! This is where the controversial Tarkine loop road would be built....there's lots of forestry roads and dirt tracks leading to some awesome spots.

10. Doody

Doody Member

A bit of dirt and a few hills? Nothing in a Kombi!

Well we did it. The newly named (little red) Rooster conquered the Western Explorer Road without a niggle:)

We had a great three weeks touring beautiful Tasmania. Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to wave.

Hightlights inlcuded Bruny Island, 'The Edge of The World' (Arthur River) and 'The End of the Road' (Cockle Creek).

Spent one memorable night camped in the rain 25 metres from the surf on the East Coast. Snug as bugs :)

Pieman River Ferry - Corinna Tasmania

[​IMG]

Cockle Creek - Southern Most Road in Australia

[​IMG]

11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I am sure we saw you on the way back from the run down to Cygent. You were driving past a burnt out car on the laft on the climb to Vinces Saddle which is the big hill before Huonville. You seemed busy with the corner when we saw you but you had probably passed the other headed the other way a few minute befoe.

Adrian

12. Doody

Doody Member

Passed at least holf a dozen buses heading north on our way down to Huonville. Guessed it might be a Kombi Klub run.

Thought we waved at everyone, apologies if we missed you Adrian :)

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I like the satellite dish on your roof - makes for good communication in the bush hey??

Also - i really like your roof bag - where did you source that from?

Any more kombi on dirt road/ camping would be great - love the photos.

Cheers,

14. Doody

Doody Member

I was planning to do a separate post on the bag because I was so happy with it. Will do so now.

Thanks for the feedback on the photos. Will post some more of the trip when I finally convince 18yo son to share his with me :lol:

Clare

15. volma1

volma1 Member

Road a bit rough after leaving the Fatman Barge on the Zeehan side eh Clare. volma1

16. BryceBusDriver

BryceBusDriver Member

This post is definitely inspiration for a Tassie trip later this year

17. 1972bay

1972bay New Member

Hi guys,
    We're going to Tasmania this year on 21st Dec 11 for 3 weeks. Can't wait. At the moment, we're sorting out measurements for a little cupboard behind the drivers seat for fridge etc, and we're sorting out the dual battery set up to run fridge, lights, 12v gear. Also making an awning to give a bit more weatherproofing as our Wolf Turbo Tent only attaches with rope. Lots of other little bits to do & get working properly as well, but we're getting there. Will post itinery and get feedback soon! Cheers, Tricia