1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westfalia paddock restoration - Shitbox Rally 2013

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by JayBone, Mar 27, 2013.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

No need to be ashamed of the KC scene.......If you disagree with some folks' posts - as I do.......just let it ride.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion & within a forum you'll get a lot !!
    I, for one, admire you fellas for what you are attempting & wish you all the best.

Focus on the positive, not the negative otherwise the dark will envelope you quicker than you'll realise........
    Cheers, Mark

2. JayBone

JayBone Member

Thanks Oldman, I like your style:cool:

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Recently there have been moments where you have to just bite your tongue and let other peoples comments go through to the keeper and not type a reply...

4. wasabi

wasabi New Member

Thanks for being positive, we wont be consumed by the negative forces from the darkside,because this shitbox kombi is all about good and doing something for a good, we still need more donations because its hard to do something when funds are only what the guys doing it are putting into it. Maybe more people can help with something constructive like a donation to help keep the kombi safe on its journey raising money for cancer.

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

As Col said, if you dont like the kombi - just donate to the cancer council - they are the ultimate goal here.

I am sure Jon can look after himself and thats what this rally is all about - they only want you to take 1 passenger so the cars (and possibly kombis) that die along the way can have their occupants re-distributed amongst other rally punters. Adds to the interest if a few dont make it - after all they are supposed to be old crap barely legal cars.

I was hoping Jon would do the Bush Mechanic thing and wire a couple of tree branches to the front as "A"-Pillars - that would be proper shitbox - actually Jon I would recommend watching a few episodes of that before you leave for the rally - some really good tips if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with just a few tree braches the odd cow scull and some tie wire.

Keep us posted on the progress and what happens in the lead up to the start.

Cheers,

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Jon/ Col,

Any updates on the Shitbox?

Getting her rally prepped?

What are you doing with the interior for sleeping/ travelling in?

Me and Chuck plan to do this rally next year so any tips appreciated.

Cheers,

7. JayBone

JayBone Member

Sorry for the late reply Scott, been really busy sorting the bus out.

Heres an update.

Couple of weeks ago, we spent a weekend giving the bus a proper deep clean, it now smells habitable and should be fairly hygienic. Took lots of cleaning fluids and elbow grease, the pop top lining had to go, there was no way the urine smell was coming out of that!

Spent the following weekend at Ian (Tinbits) place with Col, where we installed a bit of high quality split screen metal into the necessaries, who wouldve thought? A split screen used to repair a bay window! :) built to last those split screens!

Then, this weekend replaced the brake master cylinder, after ruling out every other possible reason for the brakes 'fading' which has solved the issue now, very happy! :) and an impromptu repair on a leaking carb in order to drive it round to Terris (Terbear) so her son and friend could give the shitbox a 'Wolf Creek Taxi Co' paint job! very cool

We have nearly reached our fundraising goal, just over $200 to go, and.........A Shipping company from Chinchilla has offered to ship the shitbox to Adelaide for free! Massive WIN!

I have just ordered a box full of spares for the journey which arrive tomorrow, and had a puncture repaired today, so.......I Think we are all set. Oh and Ken has made us a taxi roof sign!

The Shitbox sets off to Adelaide on Friday :D

Pictures coming

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. JayBone

JayBone Member

9. JayBone

JayBone Member

10. JayBone

JayBone Member

11. JayBone

JayBone Member

12. JayBone

JayBone Member

13. JayBone

JayBone Member

14. JayBone

JayBone Member

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

15. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

One word sums up this car and what you guys are doing... AWESOME!!!

16. Dannyred

Dannyred Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x 1000

17. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Hey Jon,

Looks great with all the art on the Bus and thanks for the pics. Please keep us posted along the trip and have a great time.
    Had a good day in my shed cutting welding and chatting, oh and a drink to wash the dust down.
    Thanks.

Ian.

18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Wow guys, you have done so much work - well done!!!

19. JayBone

JayBone Member

Thanks alot Nath!! :D it's been a lot of hard work thus far, but really enjoyable doing it with ya mates! The generosity of people has been AMAZING! Time, money, parts, advise, support, you name it, people have donated it!

20. JayBone

JayBone Member

Big thanks to you Ian also! I have LOADS more pictures of the weekend at yours but had to keep it to a few other wise this thread will never open on a slow computer!

Will be ale to keep this thread updated on the rally but don't think I will be able to post pictures, as photobucket is a pain on a smart phone! I will put a link to my Facebook album and that will be updated :) (you don't need a Facebook account to access it)