1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s this beading/seal around the pop top roof called?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by New2this, Jul 25, 2018.

1. New2this

New2this New Member

Good morning from lovely SA.
    After a long wait our new Kombi (1974 poptop camper) has arrived. I’ve never owned one so will now start bombarding the forum with most likely obvious questions lol.
    First up I think I will need to “reseal” the poptop bit, there’s some sort of beading, like a plastic/ fibreglass type thing that has come away, it’s gone hard and brittle. (It runs around the entire underside of the fibreglass lid that lifts up) What’s that stuff called, where do I get it and is it something I can fit? And how?
    Also it has the standard rims on it, look like from 1974 when it was first made! Are there any Volkswagen mag type wheels from later model volksys I can buy and fit straight on? I don’t want to worry about machining, offsets etc, if that makes sense? Just want to dress it up a bit.

2. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Pinchweld, Bunnings, easy to fit...

micklyan likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Pay to lift roof base and check for rust.
    Very common and needs early attention.

You will need to pay attention to ofsets etc to avoid issues.
    Stock rim is 5x112 pattern with 14mm ball nuts.
    Quite likely you will need longer studs.
    Legally the nut face must be flush (at least) with stud end observed from outer of van.
    Factory engages about 19mm of thread.
    Most factory nuts and studs engage about 12mm with many mags fitted.
    Torque to min 95ft lb.
    ET. 37.
    Think centre hole 66.5mm
    14" dia x 5.5" wide.
    Tyre loading 94 minimum by weight of vehicle. ( more discussion avail on that)
    Tyre width for a that width rim 185R 185/80.14. 195/75.14. 205/70.14.

If you stick to mags no wider than 6" it simplifies width and offset issues.
    Off top of head with those sizes ET 28 to 44 should be fine as long as not lowered.
    This gives some options but possibly limited design choices.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Chidori and Wayne murray like this.