1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Colour Stop/Tail Light Connectors?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by GypsyWannabe, Dec 19, 2010.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Somehow, the female connector to my driver's side stop/tail light has broken off and I need to fit a new one. The little blue and the little red ones don't seem to fit although they look close to the right size. I think they are 6.3mm or 1/4 inch, which has me thinking that I might need closer to 7mm or 3/8 inch??? Does anybody know what colour connectors I have to get - Supercheap don't have anything in the right size - I will try Repco or Jaycar today but failing that, where do I go?

Also, I managed to break the male connector that protrudes from the reversing light - where can I get one of these?

Lastly, where can I find a little elf to do this job for me? This has to be the worst place to work in on a Kombi!!! :eek: :lol:

Thanks,

Baz

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

I think the original where just brass not coloured, ideal electrical should have them, bunnings only have the small brass speaker ones

PS, all the elfs are worked up helping Santa

3. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Mike.

I went to Jaycar and Repco and couldn't find an exact fit. It seems the colour on the insulation relates to the size of the wire, not the blade. :rolleyes: The old guy at Repxo (who has been there since the early 70s and does actually know a bit about Kombi parts) said they are all 6.3mm or 1/4 inch and "they've been that way for a million years"!

So, I tried again and they just wouldn't go on. So... I opened them up a bit with a screwdriver... voila! :D

Tail and stop lights work fine now. The blade for the r.h. reversing light is just sitting in there but I think it will be OK until I can find that piece (below), Any ideas where to get this brass insert?:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Baz

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Baz, always something eh...? As a temp. fix, maybe you could flatten the spade terminal & wedge in between, just above where the flat has broken off. You'll have to replace the spade,again, when you find a replacement part, but it should keep you lit up in the mean-time. Maybe try the "Wanted" section for spares..? Cheers, Mark

5. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Mark,

It's sitting in there at the moment OK but I might chop up a piggy back terminal and wedge that in to be sure. I will probably replace the entire tail light assemblies eventually as the plastic does seem to get a little britlte over 36 years! I was going to wait until respray time, though. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Baz

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

baz i got one of those things if you need it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. GypsyWannabe

Legend!

Can I grab it next year? :)

Cheers,

Baz