What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Put in a second battery and a Redarc battery management system, re routed all interior lights, cigarette lighters and the raido to the second battery.
    upload_2017-12-2_23-40-3.png

Tangles likes this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That be a big job;)! Good work. How does that management system work/control things:confused:?
    Cheers

3. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

When the ignition system is off the starting battery is isolated and equipment etc will draw only from the second battery saving the starting battery for starting. Then when running it prioritises charging of the starting battery and charges it first then starts charging the second battery. Reasonably standard 4WD type set up. Just always nice to know you can start in the morning.

4. David H

Ain't that the truth. I generally need a jump start with coffee:p.
    Did somewhat the same 'insurance of start' with an isolating relay but ran most inside stuff off a second fuse panel off second battery. Where did you take that radio /lights etc to other than the second battery? I'm not understanding as it took me more than a day to re route my wiringo_O & some I couldn't take to second battery via fuse panel:(.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. drivesafe

drivesafe Member

Hi Jethro and sorry but they do not work that way.

Within seconds of you starting your motor, your alternator‘s voltage will rise above 13.4v and that isolator will then turn on and connect your auxiliary battery to your cranking battery, regardless of the state of charge of your cranking battery.

The way different companies “IMPLY” that your cranking battery will get priority charging is nothing more than advertising B/S.

Your cranking battery could be so low that you need to get a jump start to get your motor running.

With in seconds of the motor starting and with a flat cranking battery, as soon as the alternator voltage rises above 13.4v, that isolator ( and all other VSR type isolators ) will turn on and connect your auxiliary battery to your cranking battery.

Again, this claim of priority charging is an advertising myth.

Grantus and Jethro like this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Took the bus out for a work mission today in the rain.

Noticed water on the passenger floor and footwell. Looks like the lower corner of the screen is suffering the usual T3 issue. :(

Time for a 30 year all glass out, any missing metal repaired, and new rubbers fitted all round type makeover.

Of course, the above brief, will no doubt be extended as other things are found, and will probably end up being a full tidy up and total respray..... :D

After all, it is a Kombi! :p

Now to find the right professional to undertake the task..........o_O

Ninga likes this.
  7. David H

That can't happeno_O if the cranking battery started it:p as it's obviously not flat:).

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Jethro likes this.
  8. David H

Thankfully tax deductible:D. Just hurts cash flow:(.
    Cheers

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It can if you don't choose to ignore the preceding paragraph. :p

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

You are looking at him in the mirror :)

11. Grantus

Took me a minute.......:D, but NO!

Unlike the SC, I want a proper professional expert result this time! :p

12. Grantus

Same cash flow if I was making monthly lease payments on a new T6 workhorse......... but I’d rather keep the T3’s tidy for the same, (or probably less), money. ;)

Jethro and David H like this.
  13. David H

Your response hurt my head Cbus:(. Double negatives do that:rolleyes:. Guess if it needs a jump start the whole exercise was futile;) about isolating start battery & preserving it for just that...starting:p. Would wonder how start battery went dead with no load on it:D? Must have died a natural death in the time of camp.....as said I've jumped my starter terminals (had to take dead battery out of line;)) off my spare battery before!
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

15. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

David,

One beauty of these redarc isolators, is the have a wire coming out that if you connect it to the secondary battery, it will connect the batteries and thus you can start it off the secondary battery when the starting battery is dead (as I did last week). You can also wire this permanently via a switch on the dash if you get very keen.

Others ways to start a kombi with a dead battery are of course:
    - Jumper leads
    - And my favourite method - getting 27 volunteers to push start you when you cannot start and you are at the bus stop.

16. David H

17. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

All done, and what a difference! back to 4 cylinders, runs well, idles great, no changing down a gear (or two) to go up a small incline, will now creep along at 1200-1500 rpm and not fart and carry on. Oh the Christmas joy of a Kombi running right! HO HO HO!!!!!

Jethro and Grantus like this.
  18. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Turned on the Waeco, stocked up the tucker box, checked tyre pressures ready for Mannum :D

Jethro likes this.
  19. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Insulated the fridge. Using nothing other than cardboard boxes, corflute and most importantly of all, duct tape.
    Now 140w of solar powered, insulated, beer chilling goodness. FB_IMG_1512888563353.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    oldman and wombatventures like this.
  20. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

Don't you see enough grain in your job Brian without having it on your fridge as well!