What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Too much barley is still never enough ......

Found the advertising in a shed at work. Was tempted to use all the old ABB (Australian Barley Board) logos, seeing as they haven't existed for over a decade, but went with the scenery option instead.

2. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Put some roof racks on the poptop for the surfboard, cant carry it inside with the tin lids in the back. Have looked at many options and settled on this one. Was obviously worried about uplift and only being restrained through the fibreglass. Put a rhino rail on the flat part of the sopru pop top where the sprung push bar attaches on the underside, put a 1050 long 32mm wide flat aluminium bar above the poptop support and bolted back through it then bolted the rack rail down at 6 points through the same flat bar so the rack rail, the poptop and the poptop support are all bolted together and loads are spread.
    Getting ready for the Christmas road trip!!
    upload_2017-12-10_22-17-46.png

upload_2017-12-10_22-18-37.png
    Wanted as low profile as possible but wont clear the hatch but some 25mm spacers will fix this,

chris taylor, Poptop and David H like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Looks smart:D. You've done a great job of securing the tracks & racks. Should be fool proof but ??? Now to just make sure the roof load doesn't provide more 'uplift' & load the VERY POOR original inside hold downs;). (if the inside hold downs [held by 8 rivets into fibreglass] 'let go' the entire upper fibreglass goes up quickly (pressure/motion thing...pop top becoming wing section;)) & provides inertia to the hinges that will not cope with the weight/departure & then it just relies on the canvas integrity & the upper fastening.) (Mine had new canvas when this happened last time:D & tore 9/10ths of the upper fastening off...weakest point obviously but old canvas weaker:(). Had difficulty understanding when my daughter said the roof had come off!!:rolleyes:. You can nose the board down on the pop top & you'd think that will hold it down but a strong crosswind doesn't care which way you're going! No easy or pc correct way in english to say this but "the pop top can suck off very easily:p" without better hold downs. Had my roof pop randomly many times but never lost the whole pop top thankfully:D. Many examples on this site:( of those less fortunate. Pressure waves around trucks being one that causes problems. Anything that changes air flow over the top will change pressures;). Seen too many examples of unsuspected 'lift' :mad: here & else where. Time to think of some outside fasteners Geoff.:cool: Hope this is helpful:rolleyes:.
    Oh... & another 25mm & bus will still make it into carport but def not with board on top:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Poptop and Jethro like this.
  4. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Thanks Dave, lots of food for thought there, appreciate the detailed response., some had crossed my mind but haven't done anything about it. Hold downs inside are still original ones!! Next research project, I haven't searched this site for solutions yet but will do......mmmm
    Cheers

5. David H

Ask Chris Taylor. He's on the same mission:).
    Solid timber available for the front mounts on the inside. Rear not so:oops:.
    To make it easy just put some 25mm screws into the front internal mounts after removing rivets.
    'If the front don't go up the back just floats' & doesn't need that much hold down. It's the leading edge of a wing that's most important;).
    It's all about the front of the 'wing' with these buses' roofs & you can see what happens at the rear of your wing. It's on the back panels;):D. Shows where the air flows;). So if you've got an oil leak it's on the back panels:eek: (if you do 100kph) (if it's slow work the oil is just on the ground) Air from over the top meets air from under about near the number plate to deposit oil leakage! Tells you what's happening without even looking in the engine bay:p;):D but do look & check there frequently:cool:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Jethro likes this.
  6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Not to sure about this conversation:confused: , but if you are thinking of using your pop top as an extra luggage carrier, be very careful, they may look strong enough to carry some weight but they are getting old and with age comes weakness :rolleyes:, i had my annex attached to the canopy and even though i had re enforced it , it still looked very dicey so removed it and bolted it to the body, also, any extra weight stops the canopy from extending correctly o_O.if you still want to go down that path ,use exterior tie down straps only a few dollars each , cheaper than replacing a roof. , dont rely on those interior straps to stop the top disappearing into the sunset,:( , if windows are down when semis are passing you from the opposite direction you could lose your roof :mad:, there is a lot of air pressure build up when they go past:eek:. real scary stuff.
    Wonder how much it cost to replace a canopy ?????

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    David H likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hope the radiator is on the back :p

Tangles likes this.
  8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Admired it in a delightful photo the government sent me. Unfortunately it seems i have to pay for the photo too!

First in the 5 years i have had her though.

Attached Files:

paul77, David H, Jethro and 1 other person like this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Do they send the photos automatically in Qld? In NSW you have to apply and pay more.

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Nope. Part of the infringement notice. I am thinking about asking for hi res image though.

Poptop and David H like this.
  11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Got one of those a few years back coming home from Action Day in Igor on the down north side of the gateway bridge around the sweeping "blind" corner just as the 80klm zone started - sucked it up o_O ...... and a crap photo to boot :confused:

12. David H

Do so;). Couldn't quite read your number plate in that one:D.
    Cheers

13. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Little Reds' safaris have had a failure - the glue has let go.
    Today being a bit cooler weather wise, I decided to give it a go and repair them.
    Went to Bunnings to get some glue remover called Goof Off - I scraped and soaked then used Araldite to attach the hinge back to the window. Letting it bond overnight and will screw back into place tomorrow.
    before.jpg after.jpg

David H, Grantus and MAP77 like this.
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Nice work Mel!

Interested to see if the Araldite lasts, as expoxy’s are strong, but quite brittle. The expansion and contraction of the metals, sun to night, can affect the brittle bond.

Sikaflex make a metal panel bonding adhesive, (also available at Bunnings), that is a flexible bond, to allow for movement. Just a suggestion, if it happens again. ;)

David H likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Seems a few windows suffered the same fate.
    In addition to Grants suggestion, good abrasion to key and devcon or a rubber reinforced epoxy are a step up.;)

16. melissa

Little Red got new curtains today.

17. chris taylor

There is a product on the market called polymer sealant but its more like a glue than a sealer,i use it for every thing, i have just installed a new centre consol in the van between the two front seats ,no screws just this polymer stuff ,{ gave up using no more nails }to hold it in place ,after 24 hrs rock solid wont move , now thats wood to metal , have also done metal to metal, carpet to wood , there is virtually nothing you cannot stick together with it , there are two brands that i have used and both are exceptional, maybe worth a try with glass to metal. will post photos shortly of this product.

18. chris taylor

This is the product Brand Name: Parfix :but Sellys also make the same type of stuff.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  19. chris taylor

Recarpeted the van at the back today, yesterday went down to a carpet place and got an offcut piece of carpet for $24. 2 metres x 1.6, metres.

melissa likes this.
  20. melissa

I will keep it in mind when I need to glue my safaris again.