What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Grantus ,Even dirty it looks great, built for that sort of work.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ah the 5 "P's" :eek: ....... seldom heard these days :confused: ...... although we use it regularly with the wife's sister :rolleyes:o_O

3. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

I made a gearbox cleaner, dismantled the final drive to replace the seal and discovered I had ordered the wrong ones ... but the gearbox is very clean. Thoughts on painting it? 2018-07-08 14.20.52_small.jpg

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

No thoughts on paint but I preferred your last avatar;)(seems you've moved from a happy new owner driving to a happy new owner renovating). Okay..paint (others will say what type & how but etch, prime, colour....now do you want to blend or make a statement with colour? My personal is I reckon it'd look cool as the same colour as the bus:D.
    Cheers

5. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Oh, I am still happy ... and the previous avatar was driving a mate of mine's so at least this one is in my domain. It will be updated with a happy driving one soon enough :D
    As to paint, I would probs only go as far as the semi-gloss black or aluminium that I am doing for the rest of the engine parts while everything is apart. Not thinking too long term , more just that as I have cleaned it all, would paint do anything to protect it ... or is it only cosmetic?

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Depends on type of paint but heat paint on gearbox be a waste of money IMO. If your gearbox needs specific paint to get rid of heat you need a new gearbox:eek:. If you're asking "Would paint protect the gearbox outer surface? " (why would you need/want to do that when it's so old & still good:confused: & looks so good after your clean:)) then I'll leave that one for cbus. Just do cosmetic to your choice of colour then :cool: or leave it as is:D.
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  7. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Hi Wayne, found those numbers - definitely an 091 gearbox that may have been made on 10 May 76 if I am reading correctly :cool:
    gearbox_serial_1.jpg gearbox_serial_2.jpg

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Are you going to paint the engine case :rolleyes: ....... if not then leave as is :cool:
    If not perfectly clean and prep'd you run the chance of the paint lifting and flaking off :confused:

Gordon D likes this.
  9. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

We actually took two out for a drive. It's really nice having more time now that we have moved off the property.

MAP77, oldman, Wayne murray and 3 others like this.
  10. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Did Rocky get to cruise too? :)

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Paint would only be cosmetic.
    Al forms an oxide that protects itself.

12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I replaced the dipstick boot.....a continuing source of oil leaks....it was dry and cracked, only noticeable when it was wiggled...have ordered some viton boots from the US via my son who is living there....short term fix is the common type, secured with zip ties......fiddly job but easily enough done....
    Also replaced all the lpg lines from the gas bottle to the stove and fridge. Something I’ve been meaning to do for ages as the originals have never been replaced since 1976 :rolleyes:. Once I’d stripped the old ones out, I found replacement lengths at a bbq outlet...needed 2x 1200 mm & 1 x 1800 mm....total cost $100.00. Something I should have done years ago ..... all fittings sealed with Teflon gas tape, charged it all up and everything is working perfectly ;) All good for Old Bar....
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. Aspudis

Aspudis New Member

New LED headlight globes. $19 for the pair. Huge improvement on the old halogens that came out. Now we can actually see!

D783DFCD-F2C2-4786-87B3-2F5F023E87AA.jpeg

Ninga, Syncro27 and melissa like this.
  14. chris taylor

Interesting ,the price sort of sounds to cheap ,but if they are ok well done.where did you get them from?
    Regards Chris.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    Ninga likes this.
  15. Aspudis

Aspudis New Member

Just off EBay. They WERE cheap mate but I thought at that price if the didn’t fit, didn’t work, or didn’t last very long it wasn’t a big risk. Turned out they were all good and I was pleasantly surprised! No doubt there’s better ones out there that cost a lot more though.

They needed a little bit of modifying to fit in the old headlight fittings but it wasn’t much and they’re all good.

David H likes this.
  16. chris taylor

Good stuff Aspudis and welcome to the club.

Aspudis likes this.