1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. PICT

PICT Active Member

A few days ago I took my gearstick off to sort out the slop and found that someone in the past had made a makeshift shortshift kit, 3 thick washers on each bolt and a cheap aluminum cap on top of the ball that was a bit mangled, no wonder it felt like shit, now I have a slightly longer throw but it's nice to have a lot less slop in the stick!!

oldman, Grantus and chris taylor like this.
  2. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

I left Harry parked in his garage the last couple of days, away from the crazy storms!

chris taylor likes this.
  3. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

After having the windscreen wipers seize last week, I removed the glove box and instrument cluster to check things out. Ended up pulling the whole mechanism out, one of the spindles was binding quite badly. A bit of work removing, cleaning and lubricating both spindles and the pivot points and back in, now works a treat!!
    Very happy with the outcome, but then the radio/dvd/reverse camera didn't work!!!!!
    So rewired it back into the fusebox, all good.
    But then the wipers only work on the higher speed, so it is a switch problem, need some work there as well, maybe next weekend.
    This was after having the front and rear wheel bearings replaced, new rear drums and brake shoes fitted the week prior.
    The week before that it was an alternator rebuild.

Will this never end???

Steve

BrianK and PICT like this.
  4. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Probably not , but hey, think of the fun your having.:D

deeksy62 and David H like this.
  5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Better you doing it all Steve than me.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you Brian :D

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

No...............;)
    But then, you already know that........:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

deeksy62 and David H like this.
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Put some decorations in it......it is the festive season after all ....:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ninga likes this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Deeksy62,
    I find the wiper spindles need a WD40 drink every now & then (5 yrs) & a lot easier done by removing wipers & caps & giving a drink from the front;).
    Cheers

10. deeksy62

Been 9 years Brian and Cathy, still going strong, but the beach life is starting to play havoc with the body work!

chris taylor and BrianK like this.
  11. deeksy62

Cheers, now on the regular 'To Do' list!!

David H likes this.
  12. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Got my bus back from Mike yesterday after a wee bit of fiddling. Still running Haltec's previous generation ECU and now puts out 90 RWHP from 1970 cc's. Drives as smooth as silk too.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    evan&janine and TeeBee like this.
  13. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Sent my kombi to the mechanic today. I was hoping they could do something about the steering as I feel like I'm wandering all over the road. After driving it home, I think it now feels worse than before. :(

14. chris taylor

Look up the forum called …..Bay tech clinic.....then read down till you find the Subject on bay steering and brakes.
    Lots of imfo there from ALL of US that have much the same issues that your having..

But to start with it may help if you keep your front tyres at a lower pressure than the rears by about 5 psi or slightly lower than that. bay windows are noted for there wandering habits so a bit of experimenting on tyre pressures or extra weight on over the steer tyres might help. {Assuming off course that everything else is up to scratch}.

One other thing to remember is that after a while you do become used to these little quirks and tend not to notice them. You may also want to consider what type of tyres you are using . My preference is Light Trucks .But others like Radials ,its all a personal choice . there is a forum on these as well . Im sure others will offer some very helpful information as well . That's what is so special about this club.
    Regards Chris T

Wayne murray and TeeBee like this.
  15. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Chris, I'll check it out. There always was a bit of play in the steering (that I could live with), but I just had my wheels powder coated and now that the tyres/wheels have been put back on, (I've just realised) the 'wander' has got worse. It could very well be tyre pressure as the tyre place do seem to pump these things up to the maximum! I'm feeling hopeful that it will be that simple. :)

16. chris taylor

T B, I run my tyres at rear 40 psi and he front at about 35 ,but bearing in my tyres are light truck, but the same principle applies for radials. softer tyres on front will give more grip and that will lessen the wander . that's my theory any rate and that's what I have found . so just experiment , did you have your wheel alignment done by a professional {not a mech} if not could be worth doing before doing anything else. check ball joints for unwarranted movement. Step by Step till you get what your looking for .
    Cheers TB Hang in there mate , the best is yet to come ………………..

17. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it is down to personal feeling.
    I reckon Sam the T2 doesn't wander, rock solid straight.
    Louise the 23 year old asked "Why does he wander, and feel like he's going to tip over going around a corner?"
    A week of driving, and she is fine with him.
    Important not to over react to perceived wandering - relax, let the van do its' thing, only correct when absolutely necessary.
    One of my first work cars was a 1982 Toyota Troop Carrier. I used to drive it from Melbourne to Wangaratta Monday morning, back Friday afternoon.
    Huge play in the steering, I used to have to steer it left off the road, then take up the slack and nudge it right back up the crossfall.
    After a couple of trips, didn't notice it, but if anyone else hopped in the car they thought it was undrivable.
    It probably was.

18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I have heard that the powder coating can affect the wheel nut from being torqued up correctlyo_Oand that you can't have any powder coating under the nut seat.o_O:eek::( Whether this is true or not I don't know:confused:,but just a thought as you mentioned you have had the wheels powder coated and it is worse:eek:know.:(

19. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Geesh, I hope that's not true. If it is, I really know how to waste money! But then again, replacing the wheels would be better than having an undrivable bus.
    I have light truck tyres as well. I will check the pressure in them tomorrow (weather permitting). Fingers crossed for a good result...

drivesafe likes this.
  20. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Sounds like witchcraft.
    Sam's wheels have been powder coated, no difference between before and after

TeeBee likes this.