1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I don't think the problem is as bad as I made out it to be but just removing the paint around the ball seat where the nut sits is all that is needed,I've done a set in powder coating but haven't used the wheels yet to find out. Can any one else confirm powder coating can cause problems with wheels?
    Could be like old wife's tail,stories you hear from other people that have had problems.

TeeBee likes this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Can’t see that it would affect the steering very much, but anytime my wheels have been removed for maintenance, after 30 -50kms of driving, I do re torque the wheel nuts and bolts.

You may only find one or two, that are not as tight as the others, but I feel it’s worth doing. ;)

TeeBee likes this.
  3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Never heard of that before ,bare in mind,when you torque up wheel nuts you are doing so on the threads , if worst comes to the worst just sand back that area of the wheel nut seats and that should then give the nuts plenty of grip.
    What you can do is tighten them really hard then release them ,do this a few times before driving that should give them a good bed to tighten them up on.
    Also just keep a check on them ,every 50 or so kls stop and check them.
    happy days mate

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Any paint or coating in the stud hole will wear just from the nut/bolt binding against it :rolleyes: if torqued correctly they shouldn't need checking.

chris taylor likes this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

i had a wheel with excessive runout once - when it was on the front the car wandered - okay when on the back (but eventually i chucked it)

6. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

@tintop , you'll have to forgive me for not being fully versed with the lingo yet... what does "excessive runout" mean?

7. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Well, I went and checked the tyre pressures. Set them to 40psi (rear) and 35psi (front) as per @chris taylor 's recommendation. And the difference is noticeable! I went for a bit of a drive and the steering seems to be back to the same amount of 'wander' as I've grown accustomed to. Thank goodness for that! I should have mentioned this to you lot before wasting money with my mechanic. ;) Also, there was a lovely old man at the service station who came over for a chat. He used to own a '75 poptop camper and he had the biggest smile on his face looking at my bus. Happy days. :)

chris taylor and David H like this.
  8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

when they powdercoated your wheels they probably didn't go back onto the same corners....so your pressures could easily have been mixed up from what you were used to.

i bought a car with one wheel with excessive lateral runout and replaced many suspension and steering components (might have been necessary anyway) before i rotated the wheels and everything tightened up nicely. i swapped them back to double check

here's a blurb on runout...

• Radial runout is where the radius of the tire is not consistent from the wheel midpoint to any point on the rim. Too much radial runout can cause up and down vibrations which means there will be up and down hopping when it spins. Radial run out as well as other wheel and tire malformations can be a cause of bumpy rides and sometimes even collisions.
    • Lateral runout is the amount of sideways motion or the amount of “wobble” in a wheel or tire as it rotates which feels like dynamic imbalance problem.

TeeBee and Wayne murray like this.
  9. Wayne murray

All Good Chris I will find out soon enough when they go onto the double cab when it's finished.

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Had a sh*tty pair of tyres once (lateral runout) that were crap on the front but fine on the rear. Very glad to wear the tread off them after mechanic swapped to rear;). No problems on the rear but I guess that's due to more weight at that end. ( & a lack of steering components:p).
    Cheers

chris taylor and TeeBee like this.
  11. chris taylor

That's it ,doesn't matter what you do you will never stop it , so don't fight it just go with it ,after a while it becomes natural to just adjust your driving habits to suit the situation.
    Look at it this way if you will, when driving a kombi YOU ARE IN CHARGE :) your are calling the shots, you are saying which way to go, unlike most modern cars that go forward , stop , park , all while your reading the paper. :rolleyes:, looking forward it will probably do that for you too...:eek:, struth, thank god for old cars,:D for us that's old enough to remember ,driving cars used to be fun, and that's why we own Kombis:cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Ninga, paul77, Wayne murray and 2 others like this.
  12. Wayne murray

Best thing ever said x 2 your comments.

chris taylor likes this.
  13. PICT

PICT Active Member

Arranged to buy a 5 rib gearbox for my '72 1600, going to be increasing the engine size so thought I might as well get a better box, have also arranged to get some new front seats, Merry Christmas van ;)

TeeBee likes this.
  14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Chris? Are you after the David H emoticon award for BS 2019?:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

David H likes this.
  15. chris taylor

Geez ,no mate . im leaving that award for you, im not greedy. hahahahao_O1:)2:rolleyes:3:)4:)5:eek:6:)7:).8..you win

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    David H and paul77 like this.
  16. chris taylor

Hey Paul, if u r going to Malacoota will look forward to catching up.

17. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Replaced the perished gaiters protecting the air bags on the adjustable rear shocks also the lower spring pads..........all's good.
    Old and new gaiters (1) R.jpg Old and new gaiters (2) R.jpg

Wayne murray likes this.
  18. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Went to replace the engine air filter ( left hand taillight box ) and found a problem I didn't know I had, when I modified that area many years ago to accommodate the air cleaner and remote Z9 engine oil filter I omitted to put in a drain back in with the result a build-up of mud ! luckily after a good clean-up no damage or rust :oops:
    Drilled and tapped a 3/8 bsp x 5/8 hose tail with a bit of old heater hose piped to the outside.
    Rework Oil System (1) R.jpg PC160101 R.jpg PC160100 R.jpg

chris taylor likes this.
  19. chris taylor

Not like you Wattie to miss something as critical as that, but alls well that ends well,
    Hope you and Irene have a great xmas .
    Chris.

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Gave it a clean, vacuum and converted it back to the original 8 seater for transporting people over Christmas. ;)

BEB96BCB-D7FC-4AF6-8693-B1B5666AF12E.jpeg

EE2BF79D-9EC0-47D5-8C92-4C998730B146.jpeg

So while in the “Kombi Play Time” mode, I got around to fitting a gear stick sleeve which was a very kind Christmas present from a KC T3 brother.

Before:

9B2D48B4-1BBB-4D06-9DD2-83E8A36FCB77.jpeg

After: :)

536B3D2C-CEFA-4953-A01B-CA56E3319CCB.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    chris taylor, Ninga, TeeBee and 7 others like this.