1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey @melissa .... ., I’ve found Domestos really good for cleaning vinyl.
    A liberal squirt, let it sit and then scrub with a nail brush.....pays to have gloves on....
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Mark

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

A fresh look for Little Red, Melissa.
    I wish I had just some of your sewing capabilities. :cool:
    I will also be trying the Domestos on a few stubborn stains on Vera’s seats. Cheers Mark! :)

4. melissa

Thanks Chrissy. I had to make them so they were not a tight fit as the fabric does not have any stretch to it. Eventually they will be reupholstered by Volkstrim.

Debstar, Mr Beckstar and micklyan like this.
  5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa.
    Talking about cheap material, i was down at the Savers Shop a while ago {is like the Salvos recycling store}and besides selling clothing they also sell a range of household goods including kitchen ware and so on and on a rack in the back corner was a whole load curtains and drapes ,these were not the cheap and nasty types either. they were of a really good quality rubber backed as well . It was the price that interested me and convinced me to get them ,at $ 8 a pair it was a bargain i could not resist ,so i bought 2 pair, now that was some time ago and they are still sitting in the spare room waiting for me to put them in the van . so if any one looking for household bargains try these shops ,never know what you can pick up cheap.Seeing what you have done has just reminded me about those curtains .

Ninga, Syncro27, David H and 5 others like this.
  6. melissa

Good work Chris. Every Saturday I go to a place called Bid Barn https://www.bidbarn.com.au/ in Newcastle to check out what they have and meet up with other family members - its become a real habit! It's a silent auction type of place where people put things for sale with a reserve and you place your bid. When things have been there for 2 weeks without anyone bidding on them, they get marked with a yellow dot which means they have a zero reserve. If they still do not get a bid, and the owner does not want them back, sometimes they get put near the front door for 50 cents or $1. I picked up this roll of fabric with about 18 metres of fabric for $1. I picked up a few others as well. You never know what you will find there from week to week - I have bought some fabulous old eskys very cheaply and also some vintage picnic sets. I honestly think a lot of the stuff people have picked up from the side of the road during hard rubbish collection too.
    We went yesterday and I bid on an old guitar amp that Scott liked the look of, a Coronet 2 Channel amp - its reserve was $30 - I bid $52 and won it - you get an email Sunday evening with the results. He calls it the "sh#t centre" and doesn't come there very often with me but when he does there is always something that catches his eye. I even took Lorraine and Andy there last time they were down.

Syncro27, Debstar, Ninga and 7 others like this.
  7. chris taylor

Thats great Melissa.they r very addictive places.love agoodbarbain.

8. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Sounds like my kind of place! I wish there was one around here.

Ninga likes this.
  9. chris taylor

Hi TeeBee.
    You can see them in all suburbs over here and also in country towns ,if you are looking for anything unusual, the country towns are the best ,they have a lot of stuff from the old days especially old type tools and kitchen ware and such.always worth stopping to have a look.
    At one place i picked up i was in picked up 4 stainless steel electric stove ,element coverso_O, about 10 inches in diameter ,perfect size for home made Pizza for two:rolleyes:, worked a treat, cost me $3 for the 4, bargain,:D love home made Pizza., take pre made pizza when on a kombi trip slip them under griller when you stop for a break,wonderful. never really know what your going to find in a recycling shop.keep two in the bus and 2 at home.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Ninga and TeeBee like this.
  10. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

After installing a new distributor last weekend, I reset the points, reset the timing and regreased the rubbing block and lobes. Then took a run from Sawtell to woolgoolga for lunch. Runs much better now, cruised at 105 and ran it up to 120!
    Many thanks to all the Kombiclub members who offered advice on the process

11. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Taking Paladin to his favorite drinking hole so he can quench his thirst on Apco's finest 98 :D

12. chris taylor

Not every bodies choice Deeksy and somefolk like to keep every thing original, which is ok, but have ever considered electronic ignition,had mine changed over a few years ago , one of the better things i have done to improve the performance.Never have to worry about replacing and setting points again.
    Just a thought,
    Chris.

Mordred, oldman and TeeBee like this.
  13. chris taylor

Good servo Wattie ,been there a few times when up your way.always a lot cheaper than elsewhere to.

Wattie likes this.
  14. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Drove it, just like every other day.

oldman, melissa and OSF like this.
  15. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, can certainly understand the original concept. But after 45 years of 'modification' I am stuck more in the 'keep it going' rather than the 'keep it original' mode.
    It has had a pop top added, different seats added, a R&R bed added, tacho added, double din DVD/Radio/reverse camera added and saying nothing of the spagetti electrics under the dash. The roof and seats have been engineer approved, so all good.
    I do have a '57 eleven window as well, it will be as original as I can keep it, although it doesn't still have the original motor, I can count three different ones it has had in the past 20 years.

Cheers Steve

oldman and chris taylor like this.
  16. chris taylor

Like the way u think Steve, Im just happy enough to have it going and being reliable.
    Cheers

Debstar and deeksy62 like this.
  17. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Painted it.
    Well... not really just today. I finished today, but it took about a week all up. Big job, but Penny is no longer red!!
    CEA9DC35-5FB7-4DCD-931B-70B3CAAB066E.jpeg
    43E20927-44DB-4163-BCB6-07483A53348C.jpeg
    F5F0EABE-91B0-4BE5-9498-C4D2E0721A45.jpeg

18. Debstar

Debstar Well-Known Member

Aspudis likes this.
  19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Well done Aspudis :).No longer at the start of the rainbow tho;). LTC.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You did very well to nail the task in just a week! :rolleyes:

Aspudis likes this.