1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

[​IMG]

Replaced number 24 today. It seems to have missed a few fuel line changes because I could snap it clean in half when bent. Glad I did it.

thumbnail_20190720_125014.jpg

2. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Good stuff mate .Good find and satisfying repair job.

SUTTO likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bugger of a job and much easier if engine is out ;) so you can get the ones behind the firewall from the tank connectors the red one is really done by feel :confused:.
    They just dry out and once done should have it smelling like new :D

Aspudis and SUTTO like this.
  4. Dredhead

Dredhead Active Member

Cut out the windscreen, ready to repair the rust underneath. Once I cleaned out the track most wasnt too bad but I will have to weld in some patches.
    Mick Motors quoted $156 for the 2 piece patch repair kit, so I've ordered through JK @ $80, though its now on backorder so might be a couple of weeks
    to get the pieces to me.
    IMG_2939.jpg IMG_2966.jpg IMG_2971-1.jpg IMG_2974-1-1.jpg IMG_2975.jpg

5. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Not my Kombi but a friends car that I keep on the road for the love of Kombi's and for the fact that this is Tony's only form of transportation and he is not flushed with funds as he is on a disability pension, not that it does that many miles now but Tony also has difficulty walking so it is well needed, Tony brought it around last Saturday week as it had an issue with the air flow meter and a new one was sourced from here thanks to one of our members, when I opened the engine lid to swap out the AFM I could see that the coolant was pissing out from the seam in the centre of the overflow bottle so this week I bought a new one and he came back again Saturday morning for the next repair, I sat him in the sun while I done the work, when finished he pulls a glass cup with water out of the car and its full of fresh flowers which he presents to Katherine as thanks, special man, anyway others wanted to see the T3 so I got some pics this time, cheers Greg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And off into the sunset he goes until the next time, cheers Greg

[​IMG]

Barry, Syncro27, Wayne murray and 7 others like this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg! :)

Looks different without the gates. Are they missing, or his choice to remove them?

Good onya for lending assistance. ;)

7. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Grant the first time I helped him he had pulled one drive axle off to re grease and couldn't get the other off, he had also driven it off the edge of the ramps and it was stuck on one ramp, he had butchered all the bolt heads using the wrong tool and also couldn't get the cv joints back together or the other drive shaft back out, I had never seen it with the gates on and when I got to his place there they were in his back yard under the trees, while doing the make good to his drive shafts I made him clean them and put them in his shed, they are in surprisingly good condition, the ute is getting a few new dents each time I see it and it looks worse than it is as it lives under trees but it is what it is, I keep using a can of lanox under and around it each time it comes over, he has had a brain injury where one part of his brain exploded not long after coming in from having a surf, it doesn't affect his ability to drive but he has no sense of right or wrong and is totally care free, and very child like, he could go and mow his lawns at 4am and wouldn't see the problem, the care free aspect is what I think has kept him alive for so long as he has no issues stress wise, cheers Greg

cbus, Syncro27, Wayne murray and 4 others like this.
  8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

A true Kombi driver! :D

micklyan, melissa and onetrackwonder like this.
  9. Dredhead

Dredhead Active Member

So this weekend I learned how to take out fuel injectors, and that petrol stings open cuts a little bit..
    New fuel pump, filter and hoses went in.

The old pump had spade connectors, so had to attach ring connectors to the wiring.

3 Spade Connectors.JPG

7 Fuel Tap.JPG

Turned off fuel line tap

8 Hooked up.JPG

Hooked up 7mm from tank, 12mm between filter and pump, and 7mm rest of the way.

9 Cracked hose to injector.JPG

Scary cracked hose

Remove fuel rail

11 Remove rail.JPG

Undo 10mm nut

13 remove 10mm nut.JPG

After struggling with the first 35mm piece in situ, using stanley knife, pliers and a lot of swearing to remove the bad hose I discovered that it was easier to just remove the Injector by undoing the 10mm nut and taking it straight out. Then removing the hose is a lot easier.

Next addition will be the cold start valve I bought from Van Again in the States. When I bought it I also bought new injector seals that went back in.
    One of the injectors looks pretty black but I don't know if this is normal.

14 Black injector end.JPG

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Syncro27 and David H like this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hey Wazza,
    Got a direct link to 'Van Again'. I need a spare cold start valve;).
    Injectors black at the base not normal:(. On my 3rd set of injectors ....none look like that? Explore further why that may have happened. It's black & grungy. How are the rest looking?
    How many km's?
    Cheers
    PS. Heater no worky heh?

11. Dredhead

Dredhead Active Member

Hi David,
    What heater?? Lol, nah it’s all been removed by PO’s.
    Van Again email link sales@vanagain.com
    Website http://www.vanagain.com/
    The guys name is Ken pretty easy to do business with. All CSV’s are 2nd hand as you know Bosch don’t make these ones any more.

Still to do drivers side but only one injector #4 on psngr side was black. Where to start is the question to find the cause.
    Think I’m gonna go new injectors all round anyway tho.
    Happy days
    Wazza

David H likes this.
  12. David H

Thanks for the link:).
    How many km's on injectors/bus?
    That's what I do every 200,k. Last ones from https://www.jbugs.com/category/1976-vw-bus-parts.html but a bit hard to deal with as they don't ship outside America:(. Had to ship to my brother in the States & get him to forward.
    I've got old spares here that could be ultrasounded to clean up if you want them. PM if interested.
    Cheers

13. Dredhead

Dredhead Active Member

Cheers mate.
    PMing now!

14. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Pulling plugs after a couple of thousand kilometres. I think Harry is running a bit lean. Plugs are NGK B6ES.

7ACAABF7-D77C-4E46-99D2-2910A586E0EF.jpeg

David H, Aspudis, Dredhead and 2 others like this.
  15. David H

4 looks good:). 1 looks bad:(. 3 hot & lean must add to the heat problem:mad:. Odd to see this on a newly built motor.
    Not Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Replaced the dipstick bellows with a nice new viton one...
    Fitted up new heater pods and adjusted the levers.....
    Found a corroded power wire on the fuse side of the heater blower....new terminal and all is as it should be.
    All this as a follow up to yesterday when my mech. installed two new ceramic coated heater boxes......now that was something I could not have done at home, on my back in the driveway !
    A good day with a number of niggly jobs now crossed off the list.:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

Kai, Grantus, chris taylor and 6 others like this.
  17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

The 75 went for its first spin since July last year - it has just sat in the garage being used as storage for the odd surfboard - the battery got charged overnight, some new fuel added and she got taken for a drive by my son and grand daughter. It will get serviced on Monday and will be coming to Old Bar. We should get Spotty back on Monday too - he has been away since Easter.

Dredhead, TeeBee, SUTTO and 5 others like this.
  18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Spotty came home this week. Motor got a full rebuild. Tomorrow he is going to Sydney to deliver some furniture for one of our kids that have moved out of home. The 75 also got serviced and is running great again.
    Our poor mechanic - he has had Spotty since Easter then in the last week he has had my brothers Mk3 that broke down (crank angle sensor) which swapped over to my mums new beetle (needed a service and some work on the front end with tie rod and steering arm bushes) as well as the 75 since last Friday and my sons Passat -he actually gives me a fleet discount!!

SUTTO, chris taylor, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  19. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Replaced the front disc rotors and bearings & pads, running & braking very smoothly :)

Dredhead, Kai, TeeBee and 4 others like this.
  20. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Just an update on my door handles from VVDS they lasted the best part of 8 months and one has broken:(. So I tried on the XW,XY door handles which I brought 8 months ago after I was told they fit. Well they do fit, You need a longer counter sunk metal thread M5 x 16,which I have used but I was going to see if a M5 x 20 use as well,(see if there is enough thread in the winding mechanism)but don't have any. The handle depth is bigger then a vw handle therefore the metal thread needs to be longer.There is a metal plate to cover the screw as well,but wasn't going to worry about that.
    The handle bottoms out onto the winding mechanism splines base area,the splines on the handle are much longer so there is a gap from the inside of the handle to the start of the winding mechanism threaded section,but seems to all work ok.
    IMG_20190828_150920.jpg

Syncro27, MAP77, David H and 3 others like this.