1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Went for a drive to Brisbane to pick my wife up on her return from OS. Did 900km the first day and averaged 8.5 km/l. Called into Geoff Scott’s at Maryborough to fit an electronic ignition, found a problem with one of the front brake shoes so ended up swapping out the original drum brakes for discs. A bit of a difference. Went on to Brisbane and picked my wife up then off to an early start home for a 1300km day, had an intermittent miss just out of Brisbane, got over the range at Toowoomba and it gradually got worse by Dalby it was running on 3 cylinders and I was starting to think I should of left the points in. After a bit of investigating found number one lead off the plug ,started up and purred like kitten the rest of the way home. Ended up pushing her a bit from Morven to Blackall, 110k’s gps , had a bit of a head wind and the outside temp was 32-34c ended up with the oil temp up to 90c on a couple of long up hill pulls. Used about a match stick width of oil on the dip stick for the entire 3200km trip, all in all an enjoyable run

Aspudis, BargeArse, Ninga and 5 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Very impressive run! Well done. :)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Replaced the washer hoses that go from the washers to the T piece under the dash. The old hoses had perish. It's not the easiest job due to location of everything in the way like wiper arms etc.

IMG_20190915_112028.jpg

Syncro27, Ninga, Elsie 76 and 4 others like this.
  4. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Replaced the cracked distributor cap, oil change and service ready for Old Bar. :)

Syncro27, Aspudis, Ninga and 4 others like this.
  5. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Fitted a Tyre Pressure Monitor System, its battery powered and solar charged and HEY it actually works !:)
    TPM1 R.jpg TPM2 R.jpg

Syncro27, Ninga, BrianK and 6 others like this.
  6. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Paladin got 5 new shoes today........215/70R16C 108T SUPERCAT (generic Bridgestone) I was looking for a Tyre that had closed shoulders, after years of rotating wheels and tires on wheels
    and even though the wheel alignment is correct T3 has always worn the shoulder off the front left hand steer Tyre .............must be a Mildura roundabout thing ?
    New Shoes R.jpg
    New Shoes q R.jpg

7. Wayne murray

Has more to do with the camber of the road than the set up of your car.

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I reckon it's a bit of both;). Had a bogey trailer once that slid the front axle left due to all the RH turns. Loosened shackles & drove round the end of a street in a LH turn until it pulled back in & then tightened shackles:). LH front cops camber, all the RH turns & more of the bumps. 2 sway bars broke on LHS:(.
    Cheers

9. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Finally figured out what was constantly flattening my lithium battery in the back of Kombi. Some where along the line the original lead acid battery in the normal battery position had its terminals reconnected. The thing died yrs ago and I've just never bothered to remove it because it's such a pain to get it out. It appears as though it now has such a serious internal short it drains the lithium battery in the left hand side over night. looks like I'll have to finally drag the crook lea acid battery out and put a lithium battery in that side as well. Just hope I haven't seriously damaged yet another cell in my built up from scrap 12v lithium battery and have enough not quite scrap cells left to build a second 4 cell battery for the drivers side battery tray.

T1 Terry

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Replaced the tailpipe.....and what a ba5tard of a job it turned out to be....
    All three bolts were firmly rusted in place. I cut off the two lower heads with a thin cut off wheel in a grinder and the top one finally yielded with a Dremel and metal disc in place...I really didn’t want to remove the bumper and tow bar but would have, if necessary.
    I love my Dremel !
    The stubs of the bolts were easy enough to remove after a soak in WD. Problem solved.......or so I thought.....
    I applied copper grease to all faces and went to bolt everything up only to find that the holes in the tailpipe were offset to the muffler by half a bolt width ! aaarrrghhhhh.....both are Ernst and SHOULD have mated perfectly......but they didn’t.
    So, a bit of “massaging” of the holes in the tailpipe finally saw everything mated up.
    So, always.....always ....dry fit your bits before applying grease etc., it’ll save you a heap of angst.....and mess!One more thing ticked of the list.
    Oh, and the bolts are 8mm x 1.25 pitch thread.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Quombi, Syncro27, Aspudis and 3 others like this.
  11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Big couple of weekends getting 2 buses (Kombi womble's and mine) ready for the Revolks expedition. New shocks in 2 vehicles, which has brought the handling up immensely with one having the original shocks after 170.000 km and 45+ years. Change gear oil in both. New windscreen in mine after a rock a few km from home after 4000km easter trip. Oil change and filter in mine. Gear shift coupler and steering coupling as well as a fuel pump pushrod which had worn 2mm and couldnt keep up the fuel flow on long hills(took a while to diagnose as I had in my head it was supposed to be 137.5mm long instead of 139.5mm ) in hers as well as a proper sized battery. Still a few little jobs to do on mine before a couple of day running to work to see if I have missed anything. Then the final pack up and set off on Wednesday. Been looking forward to this trip for a long time.

Adrian

12. oldman

Started packing for Old Bar....yeeeeewww !
    leaving tomorrow morning.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Kai and milly like this.
  13. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

think its time that devised auto braking systems on shopping trolleys.
    20191002_115224.jpg 20191002_133132.jpg

Ninga, Syncro27, TeeBee and 5 others like this.
  14. Aspudis

Aspudis Well-Known Member

Fitted the TV antenna mount to the poptop and wired it all up to the 12v. Changed the oil and filter. Checked points gap, timing and valve clearances. All set for Old Bar!!!

Syncro27, TeeBee, melissa and 2 others like this.
  15. David H

Dragged Old Boy out & did some clean & polish ready for Old Bar:D. Did a headlight alignment after swapping out the LED's. Was so far out on the RHS. Obviously panel beater did not do a headlight alignment after fitting the new front clip:mad:. Fitted some new stainless headlight surrounds that don't fit:( but will stay on. All set for Old Bar!
    Bring it on:cool:.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar, Aspudis and melissa like this.
  16. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Happy Bathurst Day, so race is on in the shed. Trying to work out idle problem on the ‘Express’. Motor still needs to come back out due to oil tube crack. ***sigh**** B931532F-2887-47F9-9129-963648B1C5AA.jpeg

Syncro27, Ninga, TeeBee and 3 others like this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Have you bought a sticker for your rear window to warn other traffic? :rolleyes:

84615C9D-29C9-419A-896D-8B347E5AFB12.png

Ninga, TeeBee, onetrackwonder and 4 others like this.
  18. Wayne murray

Stop it Grantus:eek: still laughing at that one, please don't on core:D:D

19. oldman

Gave the bus a really good , inside clean.....now sparkling....ready for work tomorrow.....bleaaghhh....:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. David H

Started cleaning up the donated @rstucke gas bottle cover:). You lose just one part & then you're tagged with 'David the parts loser' :(.
    Cheers