1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Excellent attention to detail Wayne, (as usual). :)

The extended lockdowns, would have been a perfect time to put a DC back together……….. o_O

Wayne murray likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Yes it would of been good. Might have to look for another project:rolleyes: to play with. Or hobby

melissa likes this.
  3. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

I had a set of rectangle navara’s on mine in the early 80’s for a few years. Something later then made go round Hella on the bull bar,... then I got rid of the bull bar ... now 06153469-5E75-4CBF-8BB8-694E3F1A4F93.jpeg

MAP77, Syncro27, Elsie 76 and 4 others like this.
  4. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

If I tried that with my shaky hands the graphic would spill over the edge and appear to be for a 10 speed + :oops:

BrianK, Ninga, oldman and 2 others like this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That would probably be ok for Paladin , Geoff ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

BrianK likes this.
  6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Finished the caravan in the workshop enough to drag it outside so we could push Kombi inside so I can change the starter motor .... kinda used up all the enthusiasm so now we're heading home :lol:
    Maybe tomorrow, but got a call from the Royal Adelaide Hospital a few days back that my freckle repair job has jumped the que because of a cancellation, so Tuesday it is, Monday will be set aside for that exciting stuff required before the op, like crapping out future food :lol:

T1 Terry

chris taylor likes this.
  7. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi T1 Terry.
    Fingers xd is all good for you mate,

8. T1 Terry

Thanks Chris, back home now, all good at the moment. Might be on the local Adelaide News tonight, had a "Man on the street"interview with a gaggle of reporters about an armed hold up at 5:30 this morning, saw off shot gun and all, real old gangster stuff.

T1 Terry

chris taylor likes this.
  9. chris taylor

Good to hear T1.

10. chris taylor

Sorry Terry I should have been a bit specific ,I meant to say that I'm pleased that your medical issue is successfully resolved.
    Cheers mate.;)

11. T1 Terry

The excitement of being the "man on the street" interview was a great addition, although my wife Margaret seemed to get on more of the news channels than I did :lol: Apparently we were both on The Project though .... haven't seen it yet so I'll have to watch it on 10play or something similar
    The minor op went well, although the Indian curry I had for dinner straight afterwards hasn't ventured through yet so ..... the paperwork did suggest my decision making could be impaired ..... downing a curry after a re-ring might be a fine example of hat sort of poor decision making :oops:

Back on topic, plan to install the starter in Kombi tomorrow if all goes well

T1 Terry

12. T1 Terry

Well, the starter is out, now to get the support bush out so I can replace that as well and find out why the smallest wire on the main positive post at the starter is fried and appears to have fried the wiring harness as well ....... Knew it wasn't going to be as easy as just swapping the starter, jobs on Kombi never are straight forward it seems :rolleyes:.....

T1 Terry

Wiz likes this.
  13. T1 Terry

The You tube video made this look like an easy job, maybe the bush wasn't worn enough to get the tap to bit into it easy .... I'll have to replace it now. Wish I had a hoist so I could do the grease and hydraulic removal process, impossible on jack stands .....

T1 Terry

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

This is why I prefer the bushless hi-torque starters

Grantus likes this.
  15. T1 Terry

I thought that was what I'd purchased from Righteous Kombis but I Googled Hi Torque and came up with one offered by Rod Penrose who I know personally, and the difference is clear .... bugga ... too late now.

T1 Terry

Grantus and Barry like this.
  16. T1 Terry

Finally found my ratchet tap driver so I could whack it with a hammer while turning it to get it to bite into the brass bush, then it came out easy. Whacked the new bush in using grease on a 1/4"drive socket to hold the bush, went in easy ..... now the starter motor won't go into the bush .... the "F" word might have slipped out a few times before I gave up for the day and went home to drown out the day .... will pull the starter out now and make sure it isn't pushing the bush in even further .... getting a reamer in there and keeping it square to the bush doesn't look like a fun job at all .... it's fighting me all the way, must want me to give up and do the conversion to electric ...... gotta say, the though has crossed my mind a few times ......

T1 Terry

17. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Here’s something I made earlier... 750F7372-EC0D-439D-B5F1-11F2D028E038.jpeg

Wayne murray likes this.
  18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That’s not big enough for a kombi owner that works on their bus…….:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

20. T1 Terry

Starter is in, battery recharged ... slow crank, put the starter boost charger on as well, made no difference to the cranking speed, yet it turns over easy enough using a spanner on the alternator ..... this is really p*ssing me off .... the time wasted could have been put towards the electric conversion ...... Maybe the bush is still too tight on the shaft, but it did sort of push into place so I could tighten the nuts .....

Another few notes added to the swear jar, I'd need a 44 gal drum if I was using coins :mad:

T1 Terry