1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Kombi today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BrianK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Did you soak the sintered bronze bush in oil before installing (I presume that is what you have replaced)?
    20210507_113929 small.jpg
    PR

2. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Yeah, and greased the inside as well as the shaft .... Maybe the bush needs to be deeper in and it's hitting up against the circlip retaining bush .... I sure the one I removed was flush with the housing but ......

T1 Terry

3. T1 Terry

I can't believe I started this "it shouldn't take too long" job last Friday. I only have to walk near Kombi now and the starter jumps out ......
    Wrong starter, for a 6 rib not a 5 rib ..... this jammed the shaft up into the bush and the case wrecking the bush and forcing the circlip retainer over the round circlip and jamming the pinion against the retainer when the solinoid pushed the pinion out. Took all that off, tied spacers get get the shaft back far enough not to jam in the housing .... still slow crank. Remembered the 6 rib gearbox I bought on KC a while back, punched the bush out of that and fitted it in place of the damaged bush. Still slow cranking, refit the old starter, just in case it was a worn bush allowing the commutator to bind against the body of the starter .... nothing ... well at least that hadn't changed. Strip down the old starter, brushes worn down and burnt commutator ..... but discovered it is a high torque starter with a planetary set .... so the bush was never the problem ..... pull the new starter apart being careful to take the motorhousing, com and brush plate all in one piece, save trying to get the brushes of the com. The retaining plate for the planetary set was in upside down and this was shorting against the commutator windings ..... clean it all up, regrease the planetary, assemble the new motor into the old starter planetary and pinion .... hey presto, only 5 days to do a 1 hr job and Kombi goes again .....

T1 Terry

David H, Alpal and Wayne murray like this.
  4. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

"only 5 days to do a 1 hr job and Kombi goes again ....."

Why did you expect anything less?
    PR

oldman likes this.
  5. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

....what ! .....this is what lock down does to you ......thinking I might paint the house now.. 9FCC09A0-C230-4108-9F5C-0D19FC5235C4.jpeg

Ninga, Alpal, David H and 7 others like this.
  6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Had a tachco fitted. Now can see what
    What the revs are at any given speed.
    Set the redline At 3500 but not sure what it should be

7. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice Chris but I'd never see over the top of that;).
    Cheers

chris taylor and oldman like this.
  9. T1 Terry

Around 5,500rpm, although the 1800 will spin faster than that because it has a shorter throw on the crank and thicker crank pins so the crank is less likely to flex.
    Love the shift light, I just can't imaging driving a kombi and holding out till the shift light flashed :lol: Having occasionally been off in another world on a long trip and suddenly dragged back with the scream of the engine begging for mercy at 110km/h and realised I was still in 3rd gear after leaving the built up area .... then try to figure out just how long I'd been torturing it like that .... a flashing light would have been good on those occasions :oops:
    The 2 ltr gearbox mounted up to the 1800 engine does give a few more km/h in each gear .... but 110km/h is getting a bit cruel ..... :rolleyes:

T1 Terry

10. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Ok new German seal is in snug and so far only adhesive required is on the bottom of seal ... but lid will not close resistance about 10 mm but not Enough for the latch to catch ... any ideas? 311DF715-5D7C-47E7-A82C-1461A6F48D91.jpeg

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Dumb question but it is in as far as it can?

where does the lid make first contact?

mid the “outer” of the seal flush with the body?

bagman likes this.
  12. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Hold on nasty gash on head from this protrusion ...orange has turned to blood orange.. back shortly., 0BF4F4AE-8194-46AD-B439-44C1B3BED6CA.jpeg

13. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Ok first contact is top of the seal ... but it’s in snug like the rest .. CFCE566C-6663-42B3-9F4B-772724BF3E86.jpeg

14. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Those bolts holding number plate will bite every time:eek:. Need them to be shorter and have a dome nut on them.:rolleyes:
    Can you take couple of photo's of the seal closer up to see if it's like Barry mentioned in far enough or correctly.(in a few different places) As in your last photo you see that the rubber is going in with the door instead of in the gap as you close the door. In the photo look along the gap you see the rubber change slightly inwards.

bagman likes this.
  15. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

16. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

What if I gave it a hot bath ?
    3D8E679E-962A-4964-AE95-94BC2C166F0A.jpeg

Wayne murray likes this.
  17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

....or massaged it in with a heat gun....?
    cheers,
    Mark

bagman likes this.
  18. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Would a hair dryer do the same ?

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You mean like this? ;)

92A4DA34-E524-465C-BAB3-8298A404E6B9.jpeg

bagman and Wayne murray like this.
  20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Should do....set it to its max temp and lowest airflow and go gently....remember that hot paint scratches easily......;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ninga likes this.