What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

A lot of us own other VW's and I have a few.

The MK3 Golf has been pushing it's luck lately. Power windows are a known problem with these and after having the drivers rear and passengers front fixed, along with an oil leak from the motor from a pressure switch, I made the decision to get rid of it - no one was really driving it and it was costing me $$$ in rego and insurance. Fitted a full set of new tyres. Within 2 days of getting it back from the mechanic, the drivers window decided to go down and not come back up - GRRR!!! So I waited for the mechanic to get the part and it went to him on Friday. Fixed and it is now getting sold - to my brother (who actually bought and still has my last Mk3).

My Touareg has been getting a bit of love too. I had a noise under the bonnet which we thought was the alternator - turned out it was a bearing in the airconditoner compressor - which joins on the the alternator. Got that fixed, had the drive shaft bearing and boot replaced - the bearing had already been done by previous owner but they hacked the boot and for those that don't know, the drive shaft bearing is a common problem that can put you off the road suddenly and we can't risk that - we are off to Uluru this week in it. Now today I went to the shops and with the headlights in this car set to automatic, I suddenly get a warning - one of my headlights has blown. Oh well - just something that needs to be done before Wednesday.

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

I scratched my head and wondered about the consistent but apparently usual rear oil seal leak in my VX V8, the car I've clocked up 35k in since September. Going through 5 lts of oil every 5k.
    Common problem with these LS1 v8 Holden engines. 165k on clock when I purchased and now nearly 200k. Around 1000-1500 to replace.
    It makes us our money so I need to fix it....after my 69 ute is in better order.
    Otherwise it loves 1000ks a week it endures.

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A VX ain't a VW ! :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

old grey likes this.
  4. melissa

Fixed the title - don't want to discriminate ;)

5. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

...q r s t u V W X y z.

C'mon, the letters are bloody close.

And for a change my kombi dosnt leak oil anymore but now my Holden does.!!???!!.

6. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Built myself a firewood trailer. Does that count?

old grey and Grantus like this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I reckon it counts! :)

Pics? :rolleyes:

8. melissa

Of course it does Stevie!!

9. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

When i get the floor installed i could post some up.

10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Used it to drag a tip truck out of the mud in the paddock next door. Made me realise how useful the Landrover is. Oh, sorry, "to" it, not "with" it. Apologies ;)

11. melissa

Replaced the globe in the headlight on the Touareg before our trip tomorrow.

Handed the Mk3 Golf over to my brother - that's one less on the driveway.

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

Enjoyed driving my VW Amarok ute to work

melissa likes this.
  13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

The high beam on our new Hyundai is soooooo pathetic the car cannot be safely driven on a country road at night :mad: Hyundai's response, fit stronger globes ! so I said go ahead and do it, under warranty of course, their reply, NO :mad:.
    I like the car apart from the headlights so I caved in and ordered a HID headlight conversion kit to suit, :( I'm old school and of course the new lights didn't work properly :mad: found you have to fit a warning cancelling piece of electronic cocky droppings into the circuit, the kit I purchased was supposed to be CANBUS friendly. :confused: After fitting the next lot of bits did the lights work ? NO :mad: now only one high beam works, the other starts then turns off straight away.
    I "love" computer cars :eek: I swopped the ballasts over, same problem, however if you turn on high beam without the engine running they both come on and stay on !!!!!!! go figure ?
    Looks like night driving out our way will have to be done in our magic HID equipped T3, with big lights and big brakes (Subaru/Audi) I can see and have avoided Roo's and Emu's (of which we have plenty) in the past but you don't have a ghost of a chance in the myopic Hyundai. :confused:

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Best of luck on your trip to Ayres Rock.

Thats definitely on my to do list. :D

melissa likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

So , a bit of moisture and cold winds for the inland.
    Its not old bar.
    Rain isnt a requirement

16. melissa

Touareg has performed beautifully today - arrived at Broken Hill 12 hours after leaving Newcastle this morning. Lots of water around so that means lots of grass beside the road - plenty of feral goats out here, a few roos and some emus but nothing that came too close. Tomorrow we should get to Port Augusta then on to Coober Pedy.
    It's a bit strange not being able to stay in the kombi.

17. Grantus

Travelling like the rest of the population - Kombiless...:p

18. melissa

Someone in a Landcruiser did comment about the KombiClub sticker on the back and said "That looks like an expensive kombi - how does it go?" Scott replied "Goes great, it goes better than our 3 kombis at home"

Debstar, evan&janine, nip and 3 others like this.
  19. Grantus

:D

Sad....but true. :(

20. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Did a head gasket replacement on my diesel discovery on the weekend, watching it like a hawk while to/from work but so far so good.

melissa likes this.