What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

After a week of digging around, splitting a 10 foot high pile of wood, moving crap out of the way and dragging with a block and tackle until I could get it on the trailer. I went for a drive to AdelaideYesterday morning with this...

HQ Moving.jpg HQ Moving 2.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. wombatventures

After some serious problems issues and crap the HQ was disposed of to a nice young fella who will make use of what he can and scrap the rest. His enthusiasm made my day much better than it had been.
    Next was a drive out to the Adelaide Hills where this little beauty (read diamond in the rough) was loaded for a trip north.... Buffy 001.jpg Buffy 002.jpg

I'm not one for naming cars...
    Buffy 008.jpg
    Bec called the Notch Frankie when she bought her.
    Now Frankie has met the Square we have decided to call her Buffy!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Terry, get Buffy mobile & registered and you'll love the versatility of the wagon ;)

4. wombatventures

Yep plans under way. She has a lot of rust but I have a plan.....
    Replace with metal then an interesting patch paint leaving the original respray paint intact. Found she turns over yesterday but will be giving the engine a service and checkup before putting fuel in and firing up. probably pay to put a muffler on as well!
    Any tips on an exhaust system?
    Digging out where the HQ was to extend my shed with a hard pack broken concrete floor and a carport. Big yard clean before Xmas... Free dump day next Sunday!
    Watch this space.

5. KahunaKombi

Terry,
    Exhaust choice is a toughie, I went the Vintage Speed but @ $800+ some may see it hard to justify and money spent better on other things :rolleyes: can't see anything on JKA (don't mean they don't have something) - Rod Penrose http://rodpenroseracing.com.au/301-extractor-with-muffler ..... a couple of options here OR VW Heritage - web site not playing the game at present :oops:

6. KahunaKombi

Now it's finally come up https://au.vwheritage.com/type3/type-3-exhaust/exhausts-standard-performance

You could try calling Vintage Vee Dub Supplies in Campsie NSW - they haven't got an online shop :confused:

Oh and the Over The Top that Rod Penrose has - effective, louder than most (the OTT that is), and the plumbing is interesting to say the least as I had one on Paddy but sold it when I put the Vintage Speed on.

7. wombatventures

Didn't pay $800 for Buffy!;)
    How much was your exhaust.... More than the car!:D
    Saying that I intend to make it a very reliable and slightly engineered driveline and that means only good bits. Want to spend money where it is worth while and can always be utilized on the Notch if the Square is not worth while.
    Have some interesting body plans as I mentioned before but want a mechanically sound car first and foremost.
    This one looks not bad... https://au.vwheritage.com/ac2511013-exhaust-system-type-3-tuck-away-single-quiet-pack-1-3-8
    Not sue if EMPI Quality is what it used to be... https://au.vwheritage.com/ac2513661-exhaust-sqp-type-3-empi
    This is the original old style which we have on the Notch. Works well enough... https://au.vwheritage.com/311251061falt-silencer-kit-complete-type-3-8-64

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

EMPI is crap. Period.
    Thin and rust very quickly.

9. KahunaKombi

VW Heritge tuck away is almost the same as the Over The Top that Rod has ...... just check the pics. Should have mentioned also that my OTT was a stainless system so quality was good compared to painted and expect sound would also differ based on metal used.

As Col said Empi is crap ..... qaulity used to be good but gone downhill in a big way ...... kombi system sold by many rusts quicker than you can keep the rust off it.

Last on is more the original style - muffler has heat deflector plate and could worth consideration BUT think you need to get a freight quote on it.

10. KahunaKombi

So today I spent 6+ hours on cleaning the CR-V ..... wash ...... vacuum ..... de-louse from dog even though there is a dog hammock and dried slobber marks ...... then it was some maquiars Always Black on the external plastic = WhyTF do car makers think an SUV needs freak'n black/grey plastic over wheel arches:mad: along the bottom of doors, front & rear bumpers (a total PO) = Subaru in the mid size with the Forrester have their $hit together on that one ... the black plastic oxidises (as a general term) and so goes lighter to shade down to white = morons.

And then the trusty Volta Red Devil vacuum decided to $hit itself and not work :eek: the hide of it after 20 years of faithful sucking :confused: ..... now to find a replacement that will suck as good and have the attachments needed :( ..... had to drag out the Bosch which has great suck but crap attachments to do a car with :oops:

11. KahunaKombi

Finally on Monday took the replacement spare steel rim to a sandblaster to clean it up in readiness for a quick spray of paint ..... picked it up this morning so tomorrow it's time for a coat or 2 of gloss black paint :rolleyes:

12. wombatventures

Had that impression about EMPI. Will skip that one for sure.
    Do Mick Motors or any of the Australian VW places do Exhausts. Might be a better way freight wise.

13. KahunaKombi

Mick Motors do Vintage Speed now as the Qld agent, Vintage Vee Dub Supplies (VVDS) in Campsie NSW also do and who I bought through ..... dealing with Oz business makes any issues easier to resolve - I went flange plates but VVDS sent me the wrong size that woule be used on J pipes but as on Paddy I'm running the standard system I needed the smaller flange plates so called and spoke to Boris - 2 days later I had them as it was what I asked for. Am sure they'd have other options but either place means a phone call as non existing on line shops.

http://www.mickmotors.com.au/contact_us.htm

http://www.vintageveedub.com.au/contact.html

14. KahunaKombi

Stell rim painted yesterday and drying today for tomorrow to get the spare tyre swap onto it :cool:

15. wombatventures

I've found Vintage is always easy to deal with. Will call them after Xmas

16. KahunaKombi

Thanks to Col - it came up pretty good after a sand blast & prime then a couple of couple of paint (left it black as it's the spare and against the chromies if needed who cares)

DSC01173.JPG

17. wombatventures

What's going on with Paddy Bert? :eek:o_O

18. KahunaKombi

Went to see Paddy today and do a couple of things :rolleyes: went for a kruize instead :eek: got my AirCooled fix :p:D:)

wombatventures likes this.
  19. wombatventures

Cruizin' s always good!

KahunaKombi likes this.
  20. KahunaKombi

The feeling of unleashing the power of all those ponies :confused: is amazing :eek:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    wombatventures likes this.