What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

Buffed the roof of the "other make/ holiday" car. I keep it in Hobart, which I visit each Christmas. When it hit 20yo a few years ago I decided the metallic paint on the roof had gone well beyond any further cutting or polishing, so set about hand-sanding and rattle can spraying, as the car isn't worth the cost of a professional paint job. Each holiday I do a bit more, but only being able to work in a windy carport has made progress slow. Reckon I probably should have done another coat of colour and a couple more of clear, but that can be next Christmas' job.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Here’s a true story that amused me the other night over dinner.

This lovely friend of ours, told me what happened when she decided to try some basic car maintenance:

She removed the dipstick to check the oil, and assessed that the level was low and needed a top up.

She bought some oil, but then was posed with the problem of putting the oil into the engine......... she decided the only way was to buy a squeeze bottle with a nozzle small enough to fit into the dipstick tube! :D:D:confused:

She managed to get the oil level to a position she was satisfied with, but admits it did take a while. ;)

David H likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Old mate used to run a servo & this guy comes in with a small diesel truck from just around the corner & refuels & checks dip stick. Oil low so added....no movement....so added... no movement etc. Ends up full to top of rocker with oil & then asks mate what's wrong:confused:. They took the sump plug out & no oil ran out:oops:. Being diesel & scrubbing so much it had turned to jello:p! Had to heat sump with oxy to drain it;).
    Me thinks he should have changed his oil more frequently:p.
    Cheers

4. David H

Found an answer to her problem:D. Ingenious:).
    Cheers

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Small amount of knowledge can be dangerous ;)

Hope she had the car level.
    FWD in particular can be very sensitive.

Years ago ,when a teenager, there was a thing called driveway service.
    Someone actually filled your tank and checked the oil.
    Often done by juniors who now work maccas.
    I was driving s triumph herald running a cortina motor with twin barrel weber. No air filter.
    Genius driveway attendant was just about to pour a half quart of oil down carb when I noticed and
    ' politely' told him to refrain.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

She is blonde.......but she’s not stupid!

Very astute small business operator / book keeper / accountant, and practical person...... just car maintenance is not really her thing. ;)

7. David H

VERY practical & she'll get the hang of car maintenace;).
    One of my favourite stories is "The boy who comes to his dad to say his pet frog is stuck down in the drain. Dad comes to help using combinations of chewing gum & little lassoo's on the end of a long stick but realises he can't rescue the frog & gives up. 10 mins later son comes in with frog & dad asks how he did it? Boy replies that "I used that long stick to stuff some paper in the drain & then put in the hose & floated the frog up". Father was worried about creating another problem (blocked drain) so could not find the answer. Boy was just about solving his problem:D." The older we get using the old information we used last time, that worked, the more unlikely we can find a new answer:rolleyes:;):D.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't call the Naked Chef (Jamie Oliver) stupid either - he overfilled his Samba's engine after deciding the oil needed a top up :confused: ....... left it those mechanically minded after that ooops :p

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Or the less likely we are to cause a big problem by fixing a small one and leaving the crap for others to fix.

10. David H

Oh Cbus:(!

I guess the paper turned to mulch in time & the weight of the water got rid of it:D. Problem solved:p. No clean up required by others;).

I'm very interested in what people do:rolleyes:?

I'm more interested in why they do that;)?

Why all the posts & help over the years?

Takes time & is unpaid:rolleyes:?

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

Young lad , (friend of my girlfriend at the time) had a flat tyre on a UC Torana... before mobile phones. He walks 2 km to a shop and uses the payphone to call his dad... doesn't know how to change a tyre. Old man drives 30km and shows him. Gets home, takes the keys off him and tells him you can have the keys back once you've rotated all the tyres on the car, learned where to put the oil and coolant and cleaned the car inside and out.
    Took two weeks before we saw him driving again, but his cars have always been clean and well maintained since. :rolleyes:
    Always believed breakdown and maintenance should be part of learning to drive.

oldman and Wattie like this.
  12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Todays effort. Looking at putting Little Red onto Historic rego at the end of the month but I didn't want to lose my plates that I have had since the T4 in 2004. Went to RMS and swapped the plates from the Touareg over to Little Red - paid the $58 for the trouble. Plates.jpg

Jethro, Borgey, Grantus and 1 other person like this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not mine but the Nephew dropped around to show off his new 18" rims Matt black rims with chrome studs and red centre - on a Pure White White Golf GTI 40 Years :) nice car and he likes the look which is his preference all because the standard rims also were put on the Golf 7.5 GTI Performancebut I prefer the 19" standard rims which have some polished bling with gloss black ;)