1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Speedcafe had a poll on the winner - chose Lowndes/Richards - a heart feeling :rolleyes: ...... head on the other hand said Reynolds/Youlden :eek: ...... just shows even with the best car on the day the result can be in the bag until the unexpected :(

2. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Yep, joys of Bathurst. Not over till the checkered flag. Seen too many crazy finishes up there!

KahunaKombi likes this.
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I wonder what will happen when the VZ is no longer produced? I can't see GM (US) making a special model for Australia.

4. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Oh that's easy, our green tinted brethren will change Bathurst over to recyclable pedal cars...............:eek::D

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I thought they’d go into Prius’..... to retain the true past style of taxi racing. ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

They will go to American Cars Chev's and Mustangs:eek::eek::mad::(o_O

7. KahunaKombi

Booked it in for a service :)

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Mustangs yes, but Chevs? As far as I know there are no plans to rebadge any Chevs.

9. Nozza

Nozza Active Member

Walkinshaw have plans for a Camaro in 2020

Photo-1-10-18-10-29-40-am-630x420.jpg

10. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Bathurst should go back to production cars. Sadly that means it would almost look like the Super Touring of the late 90's but this whole control chassis and nothing being a production vehicle is like NASCAR and all of the other series that have become boring. For 30 years I never missed Bathurst, either going or watching and I'll honestly say that I went to a swap meet on Sunday without caring that it was on. I stopped at the pub for a beer before going home and in the 7 minutes I was there I saw the screen for about 30 seconds. It wasn't till Wednesday that I heard who'd won.

chris taylor, oldman, cbus and 3 others like this.
  11. KahunaKombi

Watched the 3 days of telecast of Bathurst o_O not glued to the TV but with it on loud enough to catch what was going on :eek:.
    Thing that gets me is the telecast crew shoving mic's in the face of drivers when they get out of the car before drawing a breath ...... instance with Murphy trying to get to Reynolds who was severely dehydrated before backing off to let the paramedics check him :confused:
    There's a lot of old Hardie Ferodo and 1000 clips on youtube & watching the old production cars is a gem ...... the track and pits brings back memories.
    Agree it'd be great to see production cars there again :D

12. wombatventures

I've saved a lot of old touring car rounds and clips to my hard drive. When I need a fix I just boot one up. I must be old now, nothing's as good as it used to be! :eek::oops::rolleyes::confused:o_O:(

13. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Have to agree Terry I can remember when all different classes raced together and they were production cars off a production line i worked for Chrysler when they tried to get the Charger into the super car circuit,we had to build 500 of them for sale to the public and they were not allowed to be modified either .that came after they were sold. I ,like a lot off people that i know quit watching when it was Holden Ford .....Ford holden ,so so boring .thought it was going to be a rebirth of good old times when other brands through their hat in the ring, but having said that ,you cant bloody well tell the difference between them as they all look the same, they are they are nothing like the production line cars of the old days anyrate ,just a cage with an engine 4 wheels , covered with fibre glass panels . You couldnt even get an engine like this off the production line let alone own one. what happened to Volvo, Toyota Mercs, Bring back originality thats what i reckon any rate thats my bitch for to day.
    Cheers all Chris.

Wayne murray and wombatventures like this.
  14. wombatventures

Were you at Tonsley Park Chris?

I enjoy the touring car masters. Real cars.

chris taylor likes this.
  15. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Ditto Chris & Terry, apart from Moto GP and historic Winton motor racing is now........... BORING..............the mantra used to be, win on race day buy on Monday ! what are ya gonna buy ?
    some blobby no name thingy clone ! ahh, but they do have the MOST important feature...................CONNECTIVITY :confused::confused::confused::confused:...............HUMBUG o_O

chris taylor likes this.
  16. wombatventures

And thus the old car scene is bigger than ever and the boring old HQ Kingswood, the Beetle and the Sigma are now collectable. And young kids turn their heads and wave when a Kombi goes by!
    :p:cool:

chris taylor likes this.
  17. chris taylor

Hi Terry yes i was at Tonsley ,in the paint shop, 20 yrs , started on wet and dry scuff line , then became an inspector then was made a foreman in the pre paint body wash ,EPD, Sealer ,and primer booth .

18. chris taylor

Your so right Geoff. just a clone ,
    Do you remember the days ,when at Bathhurst there were Minis Cortinas,even a Vauxall Viva at one time racing in the same race as the bigger cars ,hence ,all different classes in the one race .
    now that was exciting and all those drivers really put their lives on the line . And to to watch those Minis Coopers ,wow could they fly, Ahhhh those were the days. not boring then as is now .

19. chris taylor

Yes your right Terry, Real cars , Production line stuff, and in those days ,if you were in the market to buy a new car watching the race could sway your decision on what to get,but as Geoff rightly points out ,these days all we are watching are clones ,no where near the real thing.

20. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Have watched most Bathurst races, even saw the Armstrong 500 at Phillip Island on the cinema news (we didn't have telly then) when the Vauxhall Cresta won in 1960..........mmm, I was a Zephyr man :oops:

rstucke and wombatventures like this.