1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Did that once to get a set of power mirrors :)

Grantus and David H like this.
  2. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Insert ‘wolf whistle.’ :cool:

David H likes this.
  3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Bought a '06 Prius with a plug in battery pack for similar reasons, plus it's just wonderful to drive on the long runs as well :lol: We just drive the 2.5km into town and 2.5km up hill to the workshop, plug it into the motorhome parked out front (no room at the house) and recharge the battery from the solar, then drive home at the end of the day. I think we are up around the 1500km now on the same 1/2 tank of fuel, it only holds 40 ltrs all up. Electric air con and heated seats, doesn't need the engine running summer or winter.

T1 Terry

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I will have to have a good chat to you about buying one of these newish beetles as Allanah seems very keen on it as she doesnt want to have one of the typical cars that all her mates are buying eg Corolla/ Mazda/ Suzuki etc and seemed to take a shining to one at Old Bar in the kombi line up.

David H likes this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Stay away from the 1600 engine.

Syncro27 and melissa like this.
  6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I meant to have a chat at Old Bar. I have some good tips ;)

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

A list of tips here would be good.

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I must pump your brain for tips about new VW / Audis as well sometime......... maybe over coffee. :rolleyes:

syncro likes this.
  9. Syncro27

Same issues as the Mk4 Golf.
    Its 1.6 engine auto combo was a disaster.
    I had a 1.8 20V manual and it was great - no issues!
    So a 2l auto should be OK.....

Grantus likes this.
  10. melissa

I have only driven 3 X 2L autos - big one is service history - must have had the timing belts services or else you get it really cheap and drive it straight to the mechanic to get it done.

The interiors and plastic parts let these cars down - they crack and break and most of the surfaces go sticky .

Avoid the beige interior - probably looked OK for the first 3 or 4 years but after that, they go yuck.

The roof linings have probably dropped by now - this is an easy job for a professional and cost me just under $300 a couple of years ago.

The airbag light - now this is one that can be a real pain in the bum - it can be caused by the passenger seat being slid back too far - the wire is just that tiny but too short and by someone who doesn't know (with long legs) jumps into the passenger seat and slides it as far back as they can, the little wire loses its contact and the airbag light gets set off - now this can be fixed pretty easily by someone who knows the pesky ins and outs (this is the same on T1 Touaregs) and it is reset easily after rejoining and by scanning - I think I paid someone about $125 for this - twice, until I threatened the kid driving it that if his friends moved the seat then they would be paying . This is also a failure for roadworthy so you may get one cheap by pointing that out.

Power windows - urgh - don't get much more frustrating than crappy power windows - again, plastic parts let them down - about $200 in parts and labour if you can't do it yourself and be really really careful taking that door card off.

Front headlights - one of the most stupid designs for removing the headlight and AGAIN - the plastic part is probably broken by now - I have one that is broken and one that isn't - I have not worked out how to get the broken one out yet. Youtube is a big help with a lot of videos on how to remove stuff.

The motor is pretty much a Mk4 Golf and parts are easy - I wouldn't say the 2L is cheap to run but they feel pretty solid.

I have been lucky as far as not having to worry about rust and the paint seems to be a step up from the Mk3 Golf.

I am sure there are lots of other things - these just come to mind right now.

This is for the early 2000's New Beetle - my daughter has the 2015 model and so far she has had no issues at all apart from trouble with Appleplay, but that was sorted.

Wayne murray, Syncro27, Ninga and 3 others like this.
  11. melissa

Thought of a couple more ...

Glove box handles break off - not too hard to still open without the clip though so not the end of the world.

The centre arm rest/console lid - the clips break off those easily - cheap replacements on ebay for less than $20.

Most of these things are cosmetic and don't make a car go of course but they bring down the value so there are bargains to be found if you are prepared to do a bit of tidying up - might be a project for a learner/first car.

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Syncro27

Thanks Melissa.

Sounds almost exactly the same as a Mk4 Golf with the issues and the stupid cream interior. That came with my 99 Golf so we went to a wrecker and got all black bits and swapped them over - ie seats and door cards/ dash trims etc.

The Mk4 Golf power windows and especially door locks were a pain in the ass but very cheap ebay repair kits and good U tube how to videos to fix yourself.

Dont really want another disaster so I might push for a small engined auto Japanese car. Save me more pain - already have 4 very needy VW's - love them but they can be painful at times. I'm sure we all know that.

Pisces, melissa and Luckyphil like this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Jap cars are crap to drive.

melissa likes this.
  14. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

My (year 2000) Rav4 is great to drive :) and has never let me down (...touch wood...).

melissa likes this.
  15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I bet a Tiguan is much better to drive. (I am only talking about driving. Not reliability.)

I have a Subaru Forester and a Golf Alltrack. The VW is far nicer to drive.

melissa likes this.
  16. melissa

Scott - I know you are probably paying for it but it’s better to get a car she likes and wants than one that she doesn’t - she will look after and care for a car she loves

Pisces, Wayne murray, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  17. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Melissa that sounds like a pain, perhaps you could put a couple of self drilling button screws in the back of the fixed tracks to limit how far they slide back and then you won't have the issue ever again, cheers Greg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    melissa and tintop like this.
  18. melissa

I stuck a post it note to the hand grip bar above the glovebox that said "DO NOT SLIDE THE SEAT BACK OR YOU WILL PAY THE $200 TO FIX IT" - that seems to have worked so far ;)

TeeBee, onetrackwonder and David H like this.
  19. melissa

I ordered new personalised plates for the beetle - the easier to remember the better!

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

“SSB-200”? :rolleyes:

Sliding Seat Back will cost you $200? ;)

TeeBee and Wayne murray like this.