1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by melissa, Jun 19, 2016.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Haha - it's the blue beetle that my son drives that had the sticky note - it's my new black beetle that got the plates ordered for it today :)

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Busy week with the cars :
    1. Last Saturday get in to go out for coffee - fzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ..... battery lost cranking power ..... got home and called RACQ who did their checks and agreed so shouted the CRv a new battery (3rd one - but then it does get started on average 8 times a day and mainly trips under 10klms).:confused:
    2.Tuesday - CRv put in for it's 6th year service - 54,500 klms on the clock :) ..... loan car a Civic with CVT :confused: man I dislike those transmissions.
    3. Friday - wife's Corolla put in for it 5.5year service - 9,333 (you read right nine thousand three hundred & thirty three:eek:) klms on the clock :D ..... oh and it's still on it's 1st battery which last Saturday was put on the cTek ..... loan car a new RAV4 or could have had a new Hybrid Corolla but they got a CVT :(

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why are they building cars with things that people do not want?

CVT. I don't know anyone that likes them.
    Stop start. Same again
    Push button starter. Well didn't pre 1950 cars have them?

I read an article recently that the journalist knocked the Amarok because it didn't have a push button start. What advantage is it? Oxygen thief journalists.

And my pet hate. Car radios that you cannot turn off. What idiot thought that one up?:mad:

Grantus and oldman like this.
  4. melissa

Went to Sydney with my mum and bought her another Beetle.

Syncro27, TeeBee, Wattie and 2 others like this.
  5. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Nothing better they say than getting back on the horse, or this time back in a Beetle, well done to your mum, cheers Greg

melissa likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hey Melissa ,
    The support we put into our parents;). Good on you! What colour beetle?
    Cheers

melissa likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

CVT - all to do with fuel efficiency :rolleyes: ...... supposedly ...... don't try to accelerate out of a situation when cruising:confused:

Stop Start - all to do with fuel efficiency :rolleyes: ...... supposedly ...... don't try to accelerate out of a situation at the lights when someone is paying attention to a mobile device:confused: instead of the stationary vehicle ahead of them. Have been informed by a VW Mechanic that this can be disabled. Wonder what the battery life is like with this fuel saving action.

8. melissa

Blue this time - went against my previous statement of getting the beige interior but its in very good condition inside with only 111,000kms on it and its a 2001. She drove it home too. We just missed out on a very nice white one as well that got sold before we could get down there.

David H likes this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Cheaper to manufacture.

Fuel/emissions saving for sales propaganda. No cost saving as batteries are expensive and starter motor wear increased.

It's a bit like wind generators. They are only green for the non thinkers. "They must be environmentally friendly as I can't see any overhead wires".:rolleyes:

oldman likes this.
  10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Wind generators.....? That should be in the WPMO thread .
    Cheers,
    Mark

syncro likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You guys scared that slowing the wind will reduce earth rotation and make the days longer ??:rolleyes:

Grantus likes this.
  12. oldman

Ha!
    That coming from someone who lives where Joe BP would not introduce daylight saving ‘cause he thought the sun shone out of his ar5e and he wasn’t going to get up an hour early for anyone....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

rstucke, Wayne murray, cbus and 2 others like this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It'll fade the curtains with all of that extra sunshine.

I've just thought of something! All this daylight saving around the world is the cause of global warming.:D

Grantus and oldman like this.
  14. oldman

.....and yeah, yeah before anyone says it,
    “back on track folks....”:p
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Spoilsport ;)

syncro and oldman like this.
  16. KahunaKombi

Had meant to mention that the RAV4 doors locked once you started moving and would not unlock until the drivers door was released/open ..... am not sure if this works on the outside but if not then I would say this is a bad move as if you're in an accident then the only way I quess to extract occupants is via the jaws of life ?????:rolleyes::eek: ..... other manufacturers besides Toyota also have this door lock activation :confused: ..... if you stop to drop of a passenger they can not open their doors until the driver opens his = how useless and additional wear on the door actuators ..... wonder which crash test dummy thought this up :(

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it’s standard across many manufacturers these days. SAAB, BMW & Jaguar def all have it as well.

It’s considered to be an “anti car-jacking” safety device.

18. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Our Mk 5 and current Mk6 VW Golfs have this feature but anyone can open their doors from the inside if the child safety lock is deactivated. I haven't tried this whilst the car is moving but I assume it only works if the car is stationary.

But nobody can use the outer door handles unless the door locking system is deactivated via a button on the drivers door, or the car is turned off and the key removed from the barrel.

Seems to work well.

melissa likes this.
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Put some wax/polish on the Golf Alltrack. Genuine VW of course.;)
    [​IMG]

Syncro27, melissa and Luckyphil like this.
  20. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

What is the part number :)

Grantus likes this.