1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What got you into VW's?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Mid West Dubber, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mid West Dubber

Mid West Dubber Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I thought I would start a thread on 'What got you into VW's?' I'll start, well my uncle bought a really nice 58 beetle a few years back, that basically got me started, after that I started searching photos of VW's on the Internet, not long after that I realised I was hooked.
    Rusty

2. scotty*85

scotty*85 New Member

the first car i ever spent to much money on, couldnt let it go. somethings dont change ay!!!

and i always liked how simple they are + iv always needed a van of some sort for work and fun :)

3. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

My uncle surfed his way around oz in the 70's in a bay window camper as i grew up I promised myself that I would get into vw's and do the same trip one day. Plus there's plenty of room in the back for all my boards and other toys

4. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I thank my Mum and Dad for getting me into VW's,when i was growing up they had a Beetle and a Squareback.I later got my license in the Squareback.

5. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

I love camping. . . my first experience in a kombi, (the one i've owned for 12 years) was for sale on the side of the road, I popped the top, I could stand up, (i'm 6ft 5 inches) SOLD!! The rest they say, is history.

6. Vanessa92

Vanessa92 Member

One turned up on my doorstep on the back of a trailer with dad saying "This is your first car" as a joke... I fell in love that day <3

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Needed a workhorse, and had had enough of the poor quality Japanese alternatives.

Bought a Kombi Caravelle new back in 1988, and 23 years later, still have it.....:eek:

8. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

My families 2nd car was a 76 golf when I was in my teens

Learn't to drive in it and eventually it became my first car.

9. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

At 23 I had a 900 Kawasaki bike to go fast, a Rover 2000 to go out in a bit of luxury, and a 62 beetle, surfing at that age, that beetle did anything and went anywhere you wanted it to. Geat car, left it to my mate when overseas to work, her rolled it, but didn't get a scratch on him. Later did a trip arccoss Aussie in a 2L Kombi of my mate, magic never missed a beat.
    My daughters first car was a 72 beetle, I'm back to a Kombi now.

10. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I'm not into VWs, especially. There, I said it.

It's Kombis I love. Why? Well it was for groovy holidays and good laughs. It's increasingly about the people.

But all that said, the first things I buy if I move back to Australia are a pizza oven and a Razor. And I was thinking about getting some wheels here in BKK and I don't have the testes or garage for a Kombi, so I test drove a Scirocco (among others). Liked it. Decided to save my dollars for said Razor instead and keep bikin' it. As long as I'm single, bikin' it works fine. That's right, ladeez.

11. OberonViking

OberonViking Well-Known Member

My dad was fixing up a Eureka (beetle- chassised kit car) when I was 15 or so, and so I learnt a bit about beetles that way. It inspired me to build (or rebuild or restore) my own car one day.
    Then one day my wife said, we need an eight seat vehicle, how about a kombi. So I offered to restore one for her.
    Now I really want one for myself. I've been awake in bed for a few hours thinking about it...

12. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

I had a great 67 Beetle but that didn't influence my love of Kombis - that passion was driven by the desire to hit the open road, enjoy some adventure and have an old school classic vehicle. Kombis ticked all the boxes! Put it off for years as a pipe dream and then finally bit the bullet 6 or 7 years ago and havent looked back for a moment!

13. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

I woke up one morning and decided that I wanted a Kombi. As soon as a got my "L's" I went out and bought one :D. After two and a bit years, I now love all VW's.

14. CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN Member

I did notice the time of your post.....It is definitely Kombi time again for you:lol:

15. OberonViking

OberonViking Well-Known Member

Yes, well...
    I've got a baja to complete and register, then I'll sell it and use the money for another bay. :cool:

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Same here.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I just started with a '63 Beetle because it came along. Then I got keen and modified it to do some rallying.

[​IMG]

I then needed another car to drive, so along came a brand new '74 Sopru Adventurer.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately after about 4 years I needed the money to buy a house so the camper had to go and be replaced by something cheaper.

[​IMG]

18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

A few years later I bought a 1977 Golf, a 1976 Golf, a 1978 Golf and a 1986 1.3 litre sunroof Golf C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few unreliable experiences with a Range Rover, Steve Muller talked the wife into getting a new syncro which I still have.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

After enjoying Golfs so much I tried something a bit faster and bought an Audi A3 turbo.

[​IMG]

That was so much fun that I bought something quicker.

[​IMG]

With a bit of concern for speeding fines and a loss of licence if caught doing anything silly I decided that the quattro had to go.

As I wanted something to put the bikes in, it was decided that another Transporter was required and so the Doka was purchased.

[​IMG]

20. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

I was run over by a beetle when I was about 5yr old. I bounced - luckily.

Then, when I was about 17, I rang my parents from the pub, rather drunk, asking if I could borrow money to buy this really neat orange kombi camper that had just pulled up full of german back packers who were due to go back home in a couple of days - it was so cheap! My parents pointed out to me that a) I didn't have a drivers license and b) I was drunk and refused to loan me the money.