What have I gotten into and my poor wallet!!

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by BUS_TER, Jan 17, 2018.

1. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Howdy,

I'm new to the forum scene but am looking for direction and some advice. A year ago I bought an 89' Caravelle. I bloody loved this van instantly even if the Lil lady threw many looks of concern and disapproval.

It was mechanically ok and had some rust here and there but he is now off the road. I am having the engine rebuilt in the next few weeks and will now start to poor some money into turning "Buster" into a solid piece of touring adventure machinary.

So I will have many questions and hope to pick everyone's brains as it looks like there is a wealth of experience / knowledge here.

My first question is two pronged,
    • Firstly can I change over from Chrome grooved window seals to normal window seals without the chrome insert?
    • Secondly is that just forbidden in the Caravelle arena?
    I rang a bloke from Just Kampers and he said $460.00 for a bundle kit of seals. Does this sound about right.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

To answer your two pronged question:

Yes, the chrome insert seals were supplied with Caravelles, and the non chrome rubbers for Transporters. Both are interchangeable and will fit either.

Forbidden? Nah......it’s your Kombi, do what you want to it. ;)

We all love pics here..... so a thread in “members rides” with some pics, when you get time.

Enjoy the ride........

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Consider a suby engine. Some happy customers of a guy in eastern suburbs on here.

Only serious indiscretion is to paint a vee front on your kombi.

Others will add but it usually pays to compare quality and price between a few usual suppliers.
    Suppliers may be better on some parts but dearer in others.
    Obviously oranges with oranges.
    And it can be challenging to find oranges rather than lemons.

Cheers
    Col

Wayne murray and Syncro27 like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Caravelle C's didn't have chrome strips.

Oh ........ G'day and welcome

5. Grantus

Thanks Barry,

So top end Caravelles & Carats had chrome strips, as does my Transporter Single Cab now.....

As to the rubber seals, common comment is only buy the German rubber.

But it’s difficult to ascertain which seller is actually selling German rubber........ no matter what the seller tells you.

syncro likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome BUS_TER,
    All mods to your kombi will be what you decide & want for yourself & the van. No hierarchy for inclusion or exclusion for your choices here. Hey..they even talk to me with a T2:). You may occasionally get divergent opinions tho':D.
    I also think you got the "poor some money into" comment right. VW=poor:(.
    Lots of great advice & repartee here:rolleyes:.
    Cheers & welcome:cool:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Chuffed to get some responses, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I have the guys at Volkshome in Thomastown doing the rebuild, had looked at the Suburu option but have decided to go with sound over power. Will definitely upload some pics in the member's ride thread.
    Thanks heaps!! :)

David H likes this.
  8. Grantus

And just posted in another thread a link to the seller I bought my last lot of rubber from for the SC, and about to buy another lot for the Velle:

https://www.vwbusshop.de/en_GB

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Ha! The number of times someone has asked me if my T3 as a V8 or V6 on board I've lost count! Just a plain VW boxer... (well except the time it had a sticky lifter and someone commented it sounded like a proper VW)

Welcome!

David H likes this.
  10. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy the ride. I am particularly impressed with my '89 Syncro Caravelle but sadly it is off the road at present for an engine rebuild. I am sticking with the original engine.

Ian

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Welcome again.

Kai advised me that the drivers side and passenger side rubbers they sell are the same part number and hence size. On late T3s the sliding door window is a fair bit smaller than the drivers side middle window and hence I bought rubbers from Van CAfe in the USA.

These are different rubbers and actually fit correctly as they are proper German made rubbers. The back windows should be OK but I know Lucky Phil has had mixed results with the front windows.

As Col says - do whatever you want with the van as long as you dont paint a big "V"on the front to resemble a splitty - that is punishable by death :D:eek:.

Post up some photos!

12. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

One other mortal sin, more relevant to bay window models, Don't Ever fit "elephant ears" (plastic shrouds that are supposed to scoop more air) to the rear engine vents. They look stupid, show your ignorance as to the way the van was designed, and if it makes any difference to cooling there is something wrong with your cooling system and you are masking the real issue.

My 2 bits

Adrian

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Or at least buy the clear ones.:D
    Not cut down 4 lite ice cream buckets. :eek:

Mordred likes this.
  14. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Thanks Adrian, good to know as I am a man of class, style and taste. Haven't seen them but they sound like they would look Sh*thouse!!

Mordred likes this.
  15. Grantus

Also REALLY pointless as your T3 is water cooled anyway!:p

;)

BUS_TER likes this.
  16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Another of the VW myths and legends.

Mordred likes this.
  17. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

18. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

First thing I did when Harry arrived home was remove the elephant ears :cool:

Mordred and syncro like this.
  19. Grantus

But is it OK to remove factory plain rubber, to replace with factory chrome strip numbers? :rolleyes:

20. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

From what I've seen so far it seems it's do what you want mate! So today I have been exploring the option of making the rear side windows push out. Has anyone seen this done? Idea being that the window has fly screen inside and push out exterior. Like a caravan I guess.