1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is fair to pay for a T3 Respray?!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by BUS_TER, Jan 22, 2018.

1. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Looking for ball park figure to have my Caravelle resprayed here in Melbourne. I've had one quote at $17K and another at $15K. These seemed quite high to me and more to the point not something I would entertain spending.

Have considered buying a capable compressor + equipment and would consider doing it myself, been a very long time since Ive sprayed anything and Ive never done a car before so the finish wouldn't be perfect, not to mention I's struggle to spray the roof in my garage. I have heard of a bloke down in Seaford that would hire out his booth so that might be an option.

For all the bus resprays Ive seen on the road people are definitely getting the job done, but are they really spending that sort of money?!!

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I got mine resprayed for 6k minimal repairs, no seam rust. I stripped the van of all fittings and windows and put them all back on afterwards. No internal spray work done.

David H likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

drive in / drive out ? no prep by you?

Any rust being cut out? Panel damage repairs?

Colour change?
    Inside and out?
    Windows out?

Not too far off the pace - I have heard of people spending more

A bus is a BIG thing to paint

I spent $3k getting a "blow over" on my beetle with a bit of rust cut and that was probably 10 years ago

Today - anything under $5k for a bus I reckon would wash off in the first rain storm

JoshG and Wayne murray like this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Who did the work?

I’m considering sending mine off on a tilt tray, to a more willing firm.

5. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

It costs a lot more than you'd like to pay I suppose. However a good job will require excellent preparation and that will take time.

When I was a trimmer I'd talk to other car trade ppl and we would remark that if you did, for example, 40 hours, on a car, at $100 per hour = $4,000 you'd be considered a rip-off. But if you did the same hours, at same charges, on a house you're a bloody good bloke. Why??? Because houses go up and cars generally go down.

Having said that the prices on T3s in the US appear to be higher than here for roughly equivalent condition vans. This leads me to think that T3s will go up and reasonably soon as there is nowhere near as many in Australia as compared to the dominance that Splits and Bays were in their day.

Chidori and David H like this.
  6. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

I have a rust hole just under the sill of the back window on the sliding door and I have heard that is a common spot, so that would rather have that done by someone who knows what they are doing. Either that or replace the whole door as who knows how much cancer is on the inside cavity of said door.
    I am happy to prep the rest, pop windows and remove bars / lights / handles etc.

Does anyone have a Melbourne contact I could get in touch with that does Busses or VW's?

Cheers

7. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi BUS_TER,
    I'm sure Volks Home could steer you in the right direction when you talk to them next.

8. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Thanks Gerry. Poor bloke, Ill probably hammer him with a thousand questions.

David H likes this.
  9. surf bus

surf bus Active Member

Sent you a pm

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Was wondering if you'd find this thread ;):rolleyes:

11. SeanH

SeanH Member

You know what they say, a poor man always buys twice.

12. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

After some research and comprehension I'd say a dedicated man pays what he's comfortable with.