1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this and oil type question

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Klaus Schroeder, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Klaus Schroeder

Klaus Schroeder Member

From the attached photo can someone explain what is the purpose of this? I know it is not the oil strainer ? It does have a very very slow drip when the engine is warm then stops. From tech books it has 2 sealers ? But am confused. Also wish to change my own oil, went to several auto shops ,there is synthetic oils, mineral oils and so on ! Can some one recommend which oil type. brand and grade for my 2 litre motor.

Attached Files:

• kf2.JPG
      kf2.JPG
      File size:
      317.8 KB
      Views:
  2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

That's the taco plate
    useless, seal it and forget
    I run air cooled motor cycle oil (not everyone's cup of tea)
    Penrite 20/60 v twin Harley type oil
    when you think about it they have the same heat problem that vw's have
    and a shit load of zinc for the cams and lifters

cbus, oldman and Klaus Schroeder like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Castrol GTX for 40 yrs:). Each to their own;).
    Cheers

Klaus Schroeder likes this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Be guided on oil choice by a reputable engine builder or someone that knows how an air/oil cooled engine works.
    Poor oil choice will lead to shortened engine longevity. These engines deal with heat very differently to a water cooled donk.
    Any oil will lubricate........the best oil, as Rick suggested, will mean you’ll minimise potential issues long term.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Briggs and Stratton had a run of engine oil consumption problem along with Honda in their air cooled engines. It turned out the package some companies were using to get the "multi-grade" capability would become nitrites (think that's the term) when heated to air cooled oil temperatures and these were scrubbing the bores creating oil paths past the rings. They each released their own special oil for use in their motors and the problem went away. GTX with the SF rating was one of those oils ...... Worth looking at the specs when buying oil, especially when there is a significant difference in price.
    My poor Kombi runs on Gulf Western or what ever it is that Woolies etc sell and a magically cheap price, but it runs on LPG so the cyl/head temps are a bit lower. It had to get used to using that stuff when it was spilling it out side the engine at a horrific rate, and I still had quite a few 4ltr bottles of it laying around so that's what was used.
    Be aware, once a motor runs on a certain brand/grade oil, if you change to another grade or brand, be prepared for serious oil consumption till the motor builds up new deposits that seal up ring bypass. It doesn't always happen, but be on guard and check the oil level a lot more frequently till you establish an oil use problem. Be very careful with engines with a lot of miles on them, removing the junk that stopped the oil rushing past the rings may create such a flow rate that new deposits can't get a hold because the oil keeps washing them out. This can be a problem with many of the after market oil additives and changing from mineral based oil to synthetic oil ......

T1 Terry

6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

I've always used Castrol GTX 20w-50 in Kombis

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Klaus Schroeder and oldman like this.
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have been advised to use Penrite also.

Many years ago I used Castrol GTX (probably SE/SF rating) in my rally car. Once the oil had been hot it went like water. Although I could get it for free I never used it again.

Klaus Schroeder and oldman like this.
  9. Klaus Schroeder

Klaus Schroeder Member

Thanks for this info, I have taken onboard your comments