What is this pipe in the Driver side front wheel arch?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Gordon D, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Hi guys, can anyone help identify what this pipe is in the driver's side front arch? I couldn't trace it back very well and it seemed to connect to the brake boost ... but that doesn't make sense ... and I am not sure what I am looking at to find it in my Bentleys.
    It appears to end flush to the inner guard but does not seem to be connected to anything there.

mystery_pipe_1.jpg
    mystery_pipe_2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Not familiar with this .....but if it is connected to the booster unit, it would be the "breather" that supplies air to the non-suction side of the diaphragm, within the booster unit itself.
    I'll take a peek at mine when it's light, tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Gordon D likes this.
  3. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

Most cars boosters breath clean air from under the dash. Not so for a bus as the booster is underneath. The pipe lets it breath from a void between panels which has relatively clean air. There is a special cap on the booster that connects to the pipe not found on other vehicles. One reason why just any boosters won't fit. I've seen a thread where a Commodore booster was fitted. Good luck with the time that it would last.

David H, Mordred and oldman like this.
  4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Bottom line is it is supposed to be there. I have seen a few rusted out but I would suspect it would be good in those cases to replace or patch it. Yours looks in pretty good nick for 40 years of exposure to water and mud.

Adrian

Gordon D likes this.
  5. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

My thoughts too - am keen to know what it is and how it operates so I can be sure it is doing it as effectively as it can :)

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just keep it clear/ unblocked and it'll do it's job ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred likes this.
  7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon D.It also looks like it isn't in correctly on the inside of the B pillar/wheel arch area .As yours is angled down towards the arch it should be straighter going into the body there should be a rubber grommet that it goes into and into the body up tight in the wheel arch and where the B pillar comes down.Another words the outer side of the pipe should go higher up .
    Wayne

8. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

This is what the connections should look like
    P8290031.jpg P8290032.jpg P8290033.jpg P8290034.jpg P8290035.jpg

Gordon D and David H like this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Just went & looked at mine. Same as rstucke's. So it's lee side of brake booster diaphragm to atmosphere inside B pillar? If that's the case German engineering gets a thumbs up;). Here 'ti's. Ricks is pristine....mine's dirty black! :( P1100992.jpg2.jpg

Just learnt something new about old boy:D.

Great question GordonD!
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  10. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Bloody champions @Wayne murray and @rstucke ... appreciate the extra info and supporting pics.

Agreed - though I think I have way more opportunities to learn something new than you at the moment :p

David H likes this.