What p*sses me off thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Apr 28, 2008.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Here is the rule from NSW Legislation.

(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless:
    (a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal, or

(b) the driver is overtaking,

How many here thought that you had to drive in the left lane if not overtaking?

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

That may be legislation for some types of road but the earlier post on motorways and some other roads is also correct. One needs to be very careful of legislation and ensure it is in context

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Please explain? That was for speed limits over 80 or where signposted. eg Motorways.

That was from the link that you sent me Phil.

4. Luckyphil

Thats the problem, you cant quote Legislation in isolation or extract small parts of a piece. The bit you posted didnt reference where it came from so we can understand the driving conditions it refers to. Is a road a two lane road where parking is allowed, does that change your quote?
    I have had to work within legislation for 46 years, 30 of which were with DMT/RTA/RMS. One thing is certain, its bloody complicated.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In full;

130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
    (1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:
    (a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour, or
    (b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.
    Note 1.
    Length of road and multi-lane road are defined in the Dictionary.
    Note 2.
    Part 3 deals with speed limits.(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless:
    (a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal, or
    (b) the driver is overtaking, or
    (c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left, or
    (d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159, or
    (e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction, or
    (f) the traffic in each other lane is congested, or
    (g) the traffic in every lane is congested, or
    (h) the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another provision of these Rules, is permitted to drive, or
    (i) there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.
    Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
    Note 1.
    Centre of the road, left traffic lane arrows, obstruction, overtake, right change of direction signal, special purpose lane, traffic, and U-turn are defined in the Dictionary.
    Note 2.
    Rule 159 deals with traffic signs that require a particular kind of vehicle to drive in the marked lane indicated by the signs.
    Note 3.
    Rule 329 deals with when a traffic control device applies to a marked lane.
    (3) A keep left unless overtaking sign on a multi-lane road applies to the length of road beginning at the sign and ending at the nearest of the following:
    (a) an end keep left unless overtaking sign on the road,
    (b) a traffic sign or road marking on the road that indicates that the road is no longer a multi-lane road,
    (c) if the road ends at a T-intersection or dead end—the end of the road.
    Note.
    Road marking, T-intersection and traffic sign are defined in the Dictionary.
    (4) In this rule:
    lane, for a driver, means a marked lane for vehicles travelling in the same direction as the driver, but does not include a special purpose lane in which the driver is not permitted to drive.
    Note 1.

Marked lane and special purpose lane are defined in the Dictionary.
    Note 2.
    Rule 95 deals with driving in emergency stopping lanes, and Division 6 of this Part deals with driving in other special purpose lanes.
    slow vehicle turn out lane means a marked lane, or the part of a marked lane, to which a slow vehicle turn out lane sign applies.
    Note.
    A slow vehicle turn out lane is designed for slow-moving vehicles to move into to allow faster vehicles to pass in an adjacent marked lane.
    Keep left unless overtaking sign[​IMG]
    End keep left unless overtaking sign[​IMG]
    Slow vehicle turn out lane sign[​IMG]

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that you need to read my original post to keep it in context.

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I wonder when the last infringement notice was issued to a driver for “not keeping left, unless overtaking”? :rolleyes:

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I saw some stupid girl on TV whinging about getting caught on Southern Cross Drive saying it's only a 90 zone.:mad:

9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Holding off on washing the car until its embarrassing to be seen in, only to have it rain the next day - but only rain a little bit so that the car looks dirty and spotty again ..grrr

Ninga, oldman and Grantus like this.
  10. Grantus

We could do with some rain....even spotty rain!

Maybe I should wash a car tomorrow.....:rolleyes:

11. Luckyphil

OK so I get it now. You asked a question in the original post, now you have posted the answers but not sure if you are still confused by the complexity of the answer :) A lot of things to consider but all solved by keeping the the overarching rule of Keep Left. Hog the right hand lane "just because" will more often than not cause you and others problems, some involving contributing to state revenue :)

David H and Grantus like this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

But what speed was she pinged for doing or was it because she decided to hog the right lane :confused:

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Why do morons who drive big 4WD (Landcruisers/Patrols) with bull bars and towbars + suspension on steriods think they can fit into a 4 metre gap between cars - had a stupid 8itch pull it on me yesterday just before an intersection and 50 metres further on a merging lane for roadworks :( karma got her as I turned left and she got into a line of traffic speed limited to 40kph for the next 2 klms :p

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

"Drive in right lane while not overtaking." Not speeding.

I have heard that they do a blitz on it on the Hume Hwy sometimes. They probably get a lot of drivers with "Y" number plates.

It's strange how the problem is different in different states. It seems to be more common in QLD and the ACT than NSW and VIC.

15. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

this is what our kids are being taught in the RMS rule book they have access to

DRIVING ON THE MOTORWAY
    Once on the motorway, stay in the left lane unless overtaking. If there are three lanes and the left lane has many vehicles travelling at a slower speed than you, stay in the middle lane. After you have passed them, you should return to the left lane. The right lane is generally reserved for overtaking so move out of it as soon as it is safe to do so.

There's something in that for all of us

David H and Grantus like this.
  16. David H

David H Well-Known Member

And yeh! Let's all understand what the right lane is for;). It's for 'old man' doddering & blocking overtaking:D.
    Sorry;):p:D.
    Cheers & Merry Christmas:p

17. Grantus

And yet “tail gating” is also illegal...o_O

But placing the bull bar close enough to the rear of a “road blocking” vehicle in the RH lane, is sometimes the only way to educate the clueless vegetable driver about the “keep left unless overtaking rule”, coz airhorns and high beam are generally frowned upon......;)

Go figure? :rolleyes:

18. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

Worse is ppl who give way to ants on the roundabout. Or at least l think that's what they are doing. Allied to ppl who give way to no cars, waiting, then pulling out in front of a car when they should be giving way to it.

19. Jurgen Grossmutter

Or giving way to a car, at the roundabout, whilst that car is giving way to another car at its anti-clockwise point. All the time not realising they (1st car) can go.

20. Jurgen Grossmutter

Rule of thumb: if 3 or more cars are all stopped at an intersection .... dont stop. It is always good to not take part in their confusion.