1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What p*sses me off thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Apr 28, 2008.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Outrageous but thanks to the tourists for keeping our economy afloat :p. Cheers

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The actual French speeding fine, is way less than the $114 parking fine I got recently, when I returned to my SC, 12 minutes after my clearly displayed paid parking ticket had expired, even though I purchased 40 minutes of parking time, with all the loose change I had, and didn’t exceed the 2 hour max parking time allowed in that zone.....:(

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not optional. It just comes out of your credit card.

Grantus likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's taking zero tolerance to a new level :eek: with the speeding fine.

Jurgen Grossmutter likes this.
  5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

like Jurgen ,i wouldnt pay it either , if they want it that bad let them come and get it ,dont think we have an extradition treaty with France , probably wasnt yours anyway ,and if they get pushy demand photo proof that it was you that was driving the vehicle at the specific time stated , if they cant supply that then they dont have a case.

6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

They cant do that Unless you have given them direct permission to withdraw. Go to your bank and put a LOCK ON YOUR CARD or you could find your self out of pocket big time. Never ever let anyone have direct access to your,,,,, credit cards ,,,,,bank details.
    Make sure you are not being scammed as well .Seems odd to me that they waited so long .

7. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Sorry Chris but it does not work that way.

As syncro posted, it is not an option because you agree to allow them to deduct any additional costs, when you sign up to rent their vehicle.

oldman likes this.
  8. Grantus

Just to clarify some points.........

No, it’s not a scam. It was def me driving, at that time, date & place.

The delay in receiving it, is that Avis has a legal timeframe, to submit the form to declare the driver in charge of the vehicle, at the time of the offence, and the authorities also take their time, to re issue the fine in the drivers name.

As already pointed out, when I signed the rental agreement, one of the clauses I agreed to, was the future use of my credit card, for any costs incurred, caused by me.

The fine is officially 91 kph in a 90 kph zone, as a result of a fixed camera detection at 96 kph. With fixed cameras, they deduct 5% of the speed, (5kph in this case), to end up with the official speed for the fine.

If I pay within 45 days, it’s 45 Euro. If I leave it more than 45 days, but less than 76 days, it becomes 98 Euro. If I leave it past 76 days, it becomes a 180 Euro fine.

Now, as I can’t rule out being sent to France again, or needing to rent a car there again......... I will of course be paying it.

Just thought this thread was the appropriate place to have a whinge about it.....:p

Wayne murray, syncro and oldman like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

So really, you were 6 kph over the limit ? :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. Grantus

Who knows?o_O

All I know it that the fixed camera really took a pic, and I can only guess their 5% deduction is to allow for any calibration errors, so that you can’t argue the point. ;)

Sad thing is, that was on the first day of arrival........yet to see what other future mail brings me, for the rest of the time there....:rolleyes:

11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

At least no Demerit Points lost :)

Grantus likes this.
  12. oldman

Too used to driving the Blue Blur methinks.....:p
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  13. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

Last speeding fine i ‘nearly’ got in a kombi i asked the cop how he could possibly justify telling everyone else he worked with that he was going to book an old kombi for speeding. As we were discussing it a commodore flew past and he promptly gave me a warning and then chased the other guy down. A few ks up the road they were both pulled over and the commy driver looked p’d off.
    Guess the same logic i applied didnt work for him.
    Yes i was speeding, just threw my thoughts out there and it worked. One for the good guys i reckon.

onetrackwonder and Grantus like this.
  14. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Well worth the whinge, as it’s been an interesting read.

oldman and Grantus like this.
  15. Grantus

Glad you paid for the beer that day Mark! ;)

The parking fine was on the SC, after I caught up with you and Sue, that Friday.

16. oldman

Oh bugger !
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I hope I don't get any surprises when we return from the US!! Haha

18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

While the cat is away :D the mice will play:p;)

19. oldman

A certain Production company that was filming at Palm Beach today.....
    I took Kirra up for a run n surf check, only to find 85% of the car park roped off with surly “security” persons patrolling....ended up parking waaaaay down the beach but we were going for a walk, so didn’t give it too much thought.
    Returned a couple of hours later, for a surf, to find the same set up but no film crew/associated crew. I asked one of the fluro clad folks why they needed so much area.....stern reply, “you cannot park here”. no explanation.....
    So, I called our local council to find out if they had a permit to film and how much parking space they were entitled to cordon off. Instant response was that Council had had numerous complaints and a ranger was heading up to sort it all out.
    So, I parked where I normally do, pulling down part of the tape . A stern looking person bristling with walking talkies and clip boards told me I couldn’t park there. I said, sorry buddy I’m staying......then I asked to see the permit showing the footprint that they are authorised to occupy.....he told me that if I wanted to see it, I would have to park 500 m down the beach, walk back and ask at the production van. I cordially reminded him that it was their onus to prove approval, not mine to chase it.....he started to get full of self importance and bluster when the ranger turned up and told him to pull down 50% of what had been cordoned off and that I was entitled to stay where I was........
    (No, it wasn’t Home and Away......their crew treats locals well.)
    Just a totally unnecessary inflated sense of self importance by the fella I spoke to......nice to see him deflated accordingly!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Luckyphil, cbus, OSF and 5 others like this.
  20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I used to work with film crews often and thought that the days of this bs were long gone. Many years ago they just used to be arrogant pigs that took over but nowadays the ones that I have dealt with were very polite and compliant. Good on you for standing your ground.

melissa and oldman like this.