1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What p*sses me off thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Thanks Bert. :)

But I think I’ll invite a friend over, who is a full time IT guy, to do the set up, transfer all the files from the old Mac, and make sure everything works as it should......... just so I don’t muff it up! :p

Luckyphil and AC-T3 like this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

No probs Grant ;) ....... it ain't a fun job :confused: ..... all the better if you can get someone to it :p

3. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Just how old are we talking about here? The email issue will be because the email client perhaps doesn't support TLS but that would have to be a pretty old email client...

So was it a Bondi Blue iMac? :rolleyes:

The iMac I'm using is about to have its 10th birthday. We will have a party. Any excuse for one anyway.

4. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

Hi Grant, I upgrade to newer Macs frequently and it is a very straightforward job to do.

To get an idea of how to transfer files and the like, try Googling and you will get some really helpful YouTube links.

Also, if you have not got it, download a program called LibreOffice.

This lets you transfer any PC document to and from your Mac.

It also allows you to open old Mac documents that otherwise can no longer be accessed from you new Mac operating system.

LibreOffice is Open Source and is free or they may ask for a small donation, but it is worth it.

Grantus likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

Apple ..... it's all about the $$$$$$ :oops: ..... been caught out with the software and battery life on phones :eek: who'd have thought they'd do that :confused: ...... agree the $2k would have been more fun spending on the T3's :D

syncro likes this.
  6. Grantus

Thanks all,

So I gave it a go.....slow process to transfer the stuff, and then download updates to the “new” computer, owing to our “string and can” internet speed, but happened eventually.

Final step was to download the $199 basic “Office” package, to get Word & Excel back up and running.

Set up an ID with Microsoft, all good..... then requested to type in the 25 character Product Key. Should be easy enough, it’s on one of the receipts. ;)

Try and read the poorly printed receipt. After several guesses trying, all apparently wrong.... I gave up.

The seller should not be able to charge the money, when their printer is working so poorly, surely? :mad:

I dropped by the seller, (30kms away), to ask for a clear reprint. “We can’t do that” was the reply, but the sales guy went and asked the IT guy. I watched the pair of them spend 4 minutes and even pulled out a magnifying glass, to try and guess what was printed. “He thinks it’s ‘BR’, but I reckon it’s ‘RR’. Try both, and any problems, give us a ring.” (Neither worked.)

So I’ve now sent an email, asking them to email me the 25 character Product Key printed on their receipt, and the pic........:rolleyes:

07D296B2-C007-4F24-A32B-AF614A33BD19.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:30 PM
  7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

8. Grantus

And is the previous 5, G9XRJ?

You would have thought computer selling people would have a clear working printer, wouldn’t you?

9. melissa

yes - they should not only print it but email it to you -
    DHXWR - YC9HT - G9XRJ - KKYHJ - CH73Z

Grantus likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Some products some times have the product code on a label on the box, not always but just a thought.:rolleyes:o_O

11. Grantus

It does have a code on the card, under a “scratchy” panel, (no flash box these days for $200), but that code is totally different to the badly printed one on the receipt! :mad:

12. Grantus

Well done Mel!

Tried that code, and it’s now downloading! ;)

But what about the others out there, that don’t have access to the wisdom of KC admin to help out? :eek:

Hour an half later: Success!

Still shouldn’t be that hard to read, especially from computer sellers! :mad:

$15 printed Car wash codes at BP are very clear....... ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 12:23 AM
    melissa likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

My Office 365 2016 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, One Note & Access) code was on the card - not impressed it's now a download with no media (Windows 2010 full version wouldn't load as Microsoft put an end to that) option and annual fee applies but then I didn't pay $200 for it and next version free upgrade :cool:

14. Grantus

The shopping exercise was a backwards one, ie “What don’t I need, or would never use”......:rolleyes:

So the computer didn’t need to be 27”....nor did it need to be a higher cost screen resolution, so the basic 21.5” will be adequate. (It’s used about 8 hours a month.)

Then the software - never use “Skype”, or Outlook, so the cost again reduces.

So how long will this investment last, before it’s still fully functioning, but no longer capable of dealing with the outside world? o_O

15. melissa

Probably about 6 years is my guess :)

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'm still using XP from about 18 years ago.

Why do you need to upgrade your computer? Can't you just upgrade the OS?

17. KahunaKombi

Depending on the model of computer generally 6 to 12 months before things technically change (generally CPU) :rolleyes: ..... manufacturers then generally continue support with updates to firmware & BIOS to keep them running :p for 7 years after end of production of a model.

The operating system life is treated in a similar manner but can go for up to 10 years supporting through update patches to the OS and Office Products ;)

18. KahunaKombi

Wouldn't expect there are many updates you receive from the computer manufacturer or OS (Microsoft) :oops:.

OS needs minimum CPU & RAM to operate so the specifications of your XP and Grant's iMac would not support a migration to a new OS and if it was able to be loaded then you'd have issues with free hard disk space for it to run efficiently if @ all :confused:.

19. KahunaKombi

Mine would have been similar except for the Mrs wanting Publisher (just in case she wants to use it again) :confused: ...... no need for a monitor as Samsung 22" works just fine ...... I only use Outlook for ease of email and calendar, word for any letters or documents to be typed formally & excel for spreadsheets for tax returns, super balances and a few other things = minimal use. Opted for something as basic as possible box wise as that's all I needed.

Backed up data was another issue as the WD external drive wouldn't recognise the new computer & said no data to recover (oh freak'n great) - I could see the data was there but had to dig down through 12 layers in it's file system to locate all the backed up emails - imported them ;) then pictures using same drilling and then documents :D ....... took more time than I care to say but everything back.

Reason I had to get a new one was because the old computer HDD failed and it was going to cost $2000.00 for the data to be retrieved and then I had to get another HDD to load it onto :eek: ....... luckily had old backup drive and it was same size and format and fitted in the computer so an NTFS full format of it and load up system recovery disk, then Office 2010 and I've now got a standby computer :p ..... picked up a good 19" LG monitor for $20.00 ....... need more bench space in the garage so it can be set up there permanently :rolleyes:

20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Just replaced my old HP lap top ,it got so slow I could bake a dozen pasties while waiting for it to log me in,went to the computer repair centre and bought a rebuilt desk top DELL: about a 24 inch screen {guessing} and what a difference it makes ,Cost me $650 and well worth the money, the only thing about it is, it is not wireless adaptable , it is Ethernet , but to me that's not an issue. :) I think it maybe an ex office comp, that has been refurbished.
    The old HP will be turned into a TV set for the Kombi using a TV stick {more about that latter } waste not want not,.