1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What p*sses me off thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What is the height and trunk girth rule for maximum size to be able to be removed without a permit in NSW? o_O

It was less than 12m in height in the ACT, but may have changed..... :rolleyes:

Of course, all these rules, seem to not be needed to be conformed to, if the vegetation is on government owned land.. :mad:

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Each local council is different. Our council is 6m high and girth 500mm. Bankstown was 5m high.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    oldman likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Councils do as they please - delight in appeasing a minority of the community to shut them up ...... try doing the same on your own property to protect the house, car, family & pets through the right channel and you have to jump through hoops :eek:

Seeing acre blocks of land being decimated of vegetation around the area and they them subdivide into 300/400m2 housing blocks .... the wildlife have no rights and then have to find somewhere else to live :mad: - alas some do not survive as evidenced on the side of roads :(

4. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I seem to recall a PrimeMinister from the labor party announcing a project to plant 10000000 trees around Australia if they got into power ,well they did ,now it seems that these figures are now in reverse thanks to councils , goverment depts and anyone else who wants to chop one down ,no wonder we have global warming and reduced wildlife habitat.

TeeBee and Ninga like this.
  5. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

That’s a very worthy WPMO! Such beautiful trees too.
    I also find it terribly depressing when trees are unnecessarily removed and think about all the beautiful little creatures that have lost their homes. :(

oldman likes this.
  6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What about the electricity authorities butchering trees? I had a native Cabbage Tree palm in my front yard in Sydney and they took one side of it off. Don't the idiots know that palms don't grow out? Once a branch(?) is out it doesn't get any bigger. It certainly annoyed the possum that lived in it.

oldman and Ninga like this.
  7. chris taylor

They dont give a possum poop about the environment or wild life. One day when its no longer there ,then they may get the message. Maybe they should watch and take notice of that kids cartoon movie called Wallee

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Ninga and old grey like this.
  8. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

I have been working for tafe since the start of the year and seen so much waste its not funny. Not garbage waste but stuff that could be sold, reused or repurposed. Useful machinery, equiptment and lots of old/antique irreplacable measuring and calibration devices for all sorts of applications tossed in a big waste bin. When i asked about it i was told that all this great gear was not allowed to be salvaged, taken or sold as any liability issues in its use ‘could’ be detrimental to tafe. ‘Safer’ to just bin it.
    I save what i can but i cant help but think of the resale value, even at a small % of what its really worth, could go back into the system and so much cool and unique stuff could be around for the next generations to learn from.
    Just disappointed really. Wish i had a bigger shed...

oldman, KahunaKombi, Ninga and 4 others like this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

These people are training our future. Scary!

10. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

one of the reasons I retired

11. rstucke

I could tell of some horror stories concerning TAFE waste

chris taylor and old grey like this.
  12. chris taylor

Old Grey ,you sound a bit like me, the bigger the shed the better it is ,you can fill it up with stuff you may never use ,But look at it this way ,its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it,

old grey likes this.
  13. chris taylor

Im all ears rstucke , please do tell.

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

......and that is being repeated everywhere.....
    I’m still in the system and am regularly disillusioned by management decisions.
    Our college recently lost over 20 established trees....see the WPMO thread......now we have had perfectly good furniture, and quality stuff at that, being replaced with plastic 5hit. I’m talking about substantial, expensive outdoor bench seats and tables made of powder-coated steel and hardwood.......nothing wrong with it.....being thrown out. Perfectly good external aluminium doors have also been replaced, along with various handrails around the college.
    I’ve since learned that there was money left in the Operations budget, that had to be spent, or lost.....some muppet decided, without consultation, that the money could be easily and quickly spent by cutting down healthy, non threatening trees and buying new furniture etc. the quality......bad word to use here......of the replacement stuff is atrocious.
    All this despite classroom equipment being outdated and Teachers left to make excuses to students about lack of current resource.
    Reality is that those responsible for these decisions are myopic and cannot/ will not do anything other than appease their managers......stuff the rest of us that have to deal with the students.
    I know many are critical of the TAFE system........so am I but please spare a thought for those remaining, dedicated teachers that care about learning and their students.......there are still a few of us left.
    I was going to stay out of this, but I’ve had a gut full.

15. chris taylor

Mark ,I have heard of this situation before within government depts, so assuming that if Tafe is part of that system one does not have to be a rocket scientist to work out what is going on , if the college budgeted amount is not spent by the due date then they lose it and then the following year the budget is reduced accordingly, so those responsible will do what it ever it takes to prevent further loses of the colleges budgeted $,
    I can understand how those,who are dedicated enough to try and teach students the real meaning of sustainability , commonsense ,and integrity ,whatever their following maybe, must feel, it must be difficult for you to and others to a find a meaning for your efforts .
    I may be out of line here Mark , but i have to have my two bobs worth. Dont give in mate the world needs more people like you,
    Regards Chris

16. oldman

Hi Chris......I agree in principle, however after years of petitioning/meetings & walk-throughs with our "revolving doors" of Managers, our College is in dire need of the basics.
    Classroom equipment, computers that take less than 5 min. to start up are not heard of here, clean/working toilets, audio visual speakers & screens that work, proper desks & chairs for our students have been asked for EVERY year but never provided.
    Spend the $$ where it is NEEDED...don't wait until June 14 and panic.
    I was taught, as a manger, that planning was paramount to the success of any business.
    The Admin. section/front of house of the college is state of the art....very impressive and gets folks through the doors.
    The director's unit and associated facilities have been refurbished a number of times since I started here.
    My frustration is seeing (my and other's) taxpayer's money being wasted on "unnecessaries" rather than improving the conditions for our students........ again.

Thanks for your support.
    Cheers,
    Mark

old grey and chris taylor like this.
  17. rstucke

I could not do justice to my experiences of TAFE in this forum for both GOOD and BAD in my 33 years
    Needless to say there has been so much good in the past and right now, it is really wrong to knock everything about the best vocational ed system in the country.
    So many times have we pulled private providers out of the sh#t.

Unfortunately in the late 80's we were taken out of the public service and tied to political whim.
    The public service used to get on with the tafe job no matter who ran the country (yes minister stuff)
    Promotion was by seniority. Corruption was rife. I know of a head teacher driving an old VB commodore into a college and drive out with a new VL that had been donated to the section. Donated Leyland parts sold through wreckers who were associated to the Sydney underworld to benefit individuals.
    So I understand why there needed to be a big change.
    But we also had the best voc ed system in the world when it came to training our young for industry.
    Every change to the Tafe system since has reduced our ability to do a good job at the coal face.
    When you look at your managers ask where they came from, many not form the educational area. Now that we have promotion by merit we have people who have no trouble pushing the detonate button (teachers know what I'm talking about).
    Most (not all) self paced learning is crap. Slack teachers see it as easy work, conscientious teachers tear their hair out trying to make sure every student comprehends the information for the competencies they are attempting. There can be an overwhelming number of competencies in one class that the teacher needs to control (doesn't work).
    Now I believe there is a subset for teacher, a trainer on low hourly rate and not required to do any preparation for the class work they are about to be involved in. How the f#ck does that work.
    The trade has a bigger input to student outcomes. My experience as the senior head teacher of the largest auto section out side the Sydney area saw me dealing with employers who didn't know what they wanted apart from keeping their apprentice at work making money. After negotiations (they would have to ensure apprentices had exposure to certain types of work and experience) the whole thing would fall apart when all the apprentice was exposed to was sweeping and getting parts and lunches.

In the old system resources were distributed by needs. Sections would overspend by 15% to ensure an increase in funding in the next financial year, obviously unsustainable but still practiced by some idiots in those positions.
    Now the work to validate major expenditure is huge. Money is earmarked in categories and must be spent in that area or returned to consolidated revenue. So money for ground maintenance if not used to cut perfectly healthy trees down (because nothing else in that area has a need) cannot be used to replace classroom equipment or for extra part time teachers to help with over populated classes.
    The whole system is being governed by people who don't know and don't have the balls to find out and do what they know is right (all the way up to the minister for industry and trade, that's right we're not part of the education system and we're charged with making revenue for the state).

At this point I used my long term disability to retire (a few years ago). I truly believe we're past the point of no return. I think the long term future for tafe is to set parts of it into schools and privatise the rest back to industry.

I could write a book about the real Tafe
    I have to stop now because I'm starting to cry.

old grey, oldman, AC-T3 and 1 other person like this.
  18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And we all know how successful the privatisation experiment went.:rolleyes:

Money in the pockets of providers ( read friends or spouses of politicians.
    Cert 1V passes on the basis of filling out a year 6 workbook.
    Reducing apprenticeship timeframe because there's a shortage .
    ( Who cares if the newly "qualified" person is a danger to themselves and others.)

oldman and AC-T3 like this.
  19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And after our chat over brunch before Easter, I also realise that of the remaining dedicated teachers, some of them, like you, also go above and beyond the required call of duty.

Full credit to you! :)

chris taylor and oldman like this.
  20. oldman

Definately on the same page Rick.
    My tenure is just over 20 years and the system has spiralled downwards since the introduction of the Open Training Market. Competing for funded places with private RTO’s that offer nothing more than a qualification for a price has driven student costs/fees up and delivery hours down..... along with teacher morale.
    I’m glad that I’ll be out in a few years....planned retirement.....or sooner if it really goes to 5hit and I cannot deal with it.
    As long as I’m turning lights on in young heads, that’ll do me.....at the end of the day THAT is what I took the job on for.
    A discussion best saved for a good fire and suitable libations....;)
    .....just found out today that we are about to inherit 3 years worth of Trade students from yet another private rto that has gone broke...... sigh......
    Cheers,
    Mark

old grey and chris taylor like this.