1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What p*sses me off thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Apr 28, 2008.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh it's non discriminatory ...... it works with mobile phones as well :eek:

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Microsoft software....:mad:

Forced to buy a new puter recently, so also forced to buy the latest version of Microsoft Office, to make the thing useful, I now find not all the transferred files from the previous computer are actually openable. o_O

I try to open a Word document, and the screen message says: “The file cannot be opened, as the Word version that created the file, is too old.”

ALL the files were created on Microsoft Word, from previous fully paid for Office packages of various years........ so now they can just claim it’s too old to open??? :confused:

I thought being a Luddite was a disadvantage, but now it turns out, by keeping a complete paper file system for the past 35 years of business, (as I was always suspicious about the idea of being “paperless”, and just keep it all on a hard drive or backup), means that although I can no longer open the document electronically on the latest computer............ I can still open the physical ring binder folder from the bookshelf, and access the document. ;)

Still annoyed that the Microsoft computer functions no longer allow that simple task, from THEIR previously purchased software!

old grey, Buggergary and David H like this.
  3. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Having the same problem here but with phones. :mad: We have had windows phones and love them but now microsoft has decided to not support them anymore and a lot of apps are failing and are no linger available to download any more. So far messenger and facebook are gone so it looks like we will have to learn another language now ether android or apple :( not sure which way to go.

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

There is a "Compatability Mode" or something :rolleyes: similarly called in Office which I used 12 months ago to restore our old files after having to get a new computer and having to recover all files from a backup drive ...... that was an exercise in itself :confused:

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That be a 'rock or hard place decision'!
    Good luck;).
    Cheers

Buggergary likes this.
  6. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Definitely Android. So much more logical than Apple/iPhone. :D

Buggergary likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've done the same. Don't buy another Nokia though. I bought an Android Nokia and only used it for a few months. Also I have found out that there are different types of Android and not everything is compatible.

Buggergary likes this.
  8. David H

My iPhone 4s works great so long as my youngest daughter is around;).
    Cheers

Buggergary, TeeBee and drivesafe like this.
  9. Grantus

Virgin Australia let me down this morning. :(

Booked and paid for the first 6am flight out this morning to Sydney, to have plenty of time to transfer and check in on the 10.05am international flight.

Got a text and 4.05 am to say, that flights been cancelled, and we’ve been moved to an 8.00am flight, that would arrive too late to check in for the next flight:mad:.

Tried Qantas, but flight too late.......tried Murrays Coaches, but no seats left till the 11 am bus.

Tried Hertz and Avis for a one way rental - both don’t open till 7am.

Hopped in the car and just drove the 300kms to Sydney airport, through Sydney morning peak hour traffic, and then parked in the airport parking lot. $62 per every 24 hours. :eek:

Probably didn’t help that I was up until 2am watching the Italian F1GP, and the post race show, thinking: I’ve got 2 flights to catch up on sleep with.

Talked my brother into getting a Murrays Coach to Sydney tomorrow, and collecting the car, and driving it back to Canberra.

Manage to get the flight OS, but Def NOT the perfect start to a holiday, been a very long day.....o_O

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    TeeBee likes this.
  10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Can only get better Grant.

Grantus likes this.
  11. David H

S**t start:mad:. Bintang soon should help:D.
    Cheers

Grantus and micklyan like this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You will need a holiday after that start, enjoy it.

Grantus likes this.
  13. Grantus

Seems the owners of Sydney airport parking never miss out.:confused:

Parked at 8.15am on Monday, removed at 12.15pm on Tuesday - total time parked 28 hours.

Parking fee...... $124.00 = 2 x 24 hours parking, or part thereof!!!! :mad:

At least I’ve freed up the space for the balance 20 hours I’ve paid, so they can charge others even more money to use that parking space. :eek:

Luckily, the serene private pool, and the cold Bintangs, are making it a blurry stress free memory....;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    oldman likes this.
  14. David H

Ahhh:). That's the way to make misery a distant memory:D. Well done!
    Cheers

15. Grantus

Of course! :)

Written off the not used Virgin airfares......car is now back in Canberra, so I can still utilise the Qantas flight for the return leg, without having to face the morning drive home, after an overnight flight.

Just a 1st world problem......... life is still Ok. ;)

16. David H

Must be that 6th beer that fixed the problem;). Enjoy your holiday:). Gave up that Virgin stuff many years ago:p.
    Cheers

17. Grantus

We all actually need Virgin to survive, to keep Qantas honest with their pricing, which is why I try and support their business where possible.

When Ansett folded, and Qantas were the only carriers, their prices nearly doubled overnight, and everyone had no choice but to pay it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    David H likes this.
  18. David H

I do like the way Virgin staff have such fun with the way they do the cabin job. Makes it amusing & whiles away the flight time;). Given the amount of money Virgin has lost in the last 10 years I can only say their bankers are more tolerant than mine:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

19. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Plenty of reason to be P’d off Grant!
    Glad things have improved. Enjoy your holiday.

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

QANTAS .

Qantas Sucks. I will avoid flying with this third world airline. Just after boarding for a 14 hour flight (QF47 San Francisco-Sydney) they announced that the entertainment system would not be working. Then the safety instructions had to be done ad-lib (very poorly with mistakes). After a while i noticed the toilet occupied light was still on. Yes another defect. The light remained on for the 14 hours. The crew offered the passengers some free magazines which would have been OK but the reading lights were not working. Adjusting the seat to recline was OK but to return it to the upright position required two people.

Now these are just the defects that I saw. Imagine the problems with other poorly maintained equipment? How safe does that make you feel?

I paid premium economy for this.