1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by glow-monkey, Jan 22, 2009.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

I will be posting this in tech as well, just thought more people might see it here.

I just went to do an oil change on Glomo before thew weekene trip to camp Keen, and because glomo had seemed to be running a little hot just the last week I decided it was time to fit a temp gauge as well, anyhow I pulled the scraper off and found these,

Any ideas, they are brittle as hell and crumble if you handle them too much, there seems to be enough pieces for three rings in total, they seem about the right width for valve guides however other than the slight feeling that the oil was hotter on the dipstick than usual I have noticed no difference to the way the engine runs and there is no smoke at start or when running, there is what seems like a rattly tappet noise when the engine is cold but it goes pretty quickly (I dont have hydraulic lifters so that isnt the noise)

Any ideas it looks like I will have the weekend to sort it out?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Not sure mate, trying to think back to building my engine, looks faniliar but I cant remember what, will keep thinking.

Good luck

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Could possibly be O-rings for the tappet assembly that have fallen off when the tappets have been removed from the heads at some stage - think there is 2 on each side. Not necessary to ahve them on there (hard to find replacement part as far as I am aware).

Strange though that they have come from the sump but then things can find there way into strange places.

Some one else may have another / better idea of what they are.