1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What thickness steel for repairs?

Discussion in 'Body' started by Dor Matt, Aug 9, 2016.

1. grumble

grumble Active Member

1mm ,incaneal is great, forms shape nicely,welds well and doesn't dust.

Grantus likes this.
  2. Campervanstu

Campervanstu Member

Hi Adam,

I realise this is an old post but did you share pics of those clamps you made. I looking to buy some but I’m sure you can make them for lass than $5 each

Cheers

Stu

3. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

This butt weld clamps aren’t very good - they are fiddly to use, they don’t have great clamping force so panels can slide out and they leave a gap of a couple of mm which makes it easier to blow through when welding.

A better way to do it is to use clecos or screws. You trial fit the new panel and use welding clamps to hold it in place and mark your cut line. Then instead of cutting along the whole length of the line you leave a little overlapping tab where you want each cleco/screw to go.

You then cleco/screw the panel in position and do your final adjustment then tack weld between the tabs. You can then remove the clecos/screws use and to cut the tabs off and then tack weld where the tabs were and plug wed the hole up.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/54-chevy-210-post-build.969489/page-2

Campervanstu likes this.
  4. Campervanstu

Campervanstu Member

That’s a great tip Mellow Yellow. Just ordered some new panels so I will give it a go.