1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your Christmas disaster......?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Dec 26, 2017.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, we’ve just survived another Christmas gathering but not without (the usual) disaster....
    About 1/2 an hour before our guests were to arrive, I managed to tip over the Christmas tree sending smashed glass decorations - mostly kombi ones- across the floor.....of course, the water that was in the tree base then soaked into the remaining presents etc. etc. etc.
    What a muppet !
    So, who else managed to create mayhem on the big day ? :rolleyes:
    Probably don’t need to hear about drunk, disfunctional relatives, as I’d like to keep this light-hearted and would recognise the klutzes- like me- out there.
    Hope everyone recovers well.........
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

No issues to report, just a nice relaxing day of over eating :)

melissa and oldman like this.
  3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

No disasters :) , just mum and me ,spent the morning in the garden tending 30 odd roses bushes and other assorted plants, no visitors this year no broken cups ,plates ,glasses nothing spilt, nothing destroyed,actually quite peaceful. o_O

wombatventures, melissa and oldman like this.
  4. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

With just the two of us our Christmas lunch has always been baked beans on toast and a cuppa. :)

nils, chris taylor and oldman like this.
  5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

My personal disaster of losing a very special pet bunny on Christmas Eve morning but then having lunch with Lorraine and Andy who were down visiting relatives in the area which was a lovely distraction but on Christmas Day everything at our house went quite smoothly for lunch. Dinner at my mums is another story - there are always some "mystery guest" there - my parents are very generous and they travel a lot around Australia (they also prospect for sapphires and gold) quite often , so someone they have met along the way is likely to drop in or be in the area. Scott takes great pleasure in saying before we get there (if he is not working himself) "Wonder who the mystery guest will be this year? Swedish backpackers with hairy armpits again?" (Yes that actually did happen one year!!!) - well last night it was the crazy neighbour who only needs one glass of wine to become argumentative and decides to tell Scott she doesn't like him - but only because of his job - he was not happy because all he wanted to do was chat to his father in law but she just wouldn't give up - she put a downer on the whole day.

Wish I had a funny story to add to your "klutziness" Mark but it just wasn't a sparkly Christmas for me this year.

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

So sorry to hear that Mel.
    Better days ahead.
    Mark’n’Sue

melissa likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

No disasters well if you count 10 for breakfast and 2.6kg of ham (1/4 leg of pure meat) sliced and asked if that will be enough - spare 2.2kg ham in esky just in case ...... someone decides to cook up a couple of kg of bacon ...... we end up bring a fair part of ham home as ends up 3 won't eat it so swing past SiL's and drop half on her ...... asked all along how much ham will each person eat 250g's or less - answered my own question ~ not as much as others think = 1 quarter leg was more than enough :oops::p:confused:

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A wonderful day with family which started poorly as my mum traveled to ours so we could all troop up to eldest daughters for an 18 person get together and an outrageous secret santa:D.
    P1110154.jpg2.jpg
    Not all my 88 yr old mums fault but she's okay & just a bit sore today.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  9. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

Oh what a feeling

10. KahunaKombi

David, hope your mum didn't have far to drive with it like that :confused:

11. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

No disasters for us Xmas day. Great day with the family. Kids and grandkids came over from Perth. The son had to stay home and fly back to work yesterday.

Disaster struck today with backyard cricket. It seems son in law bustered a toe.

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I drove it to ours (Just 5 mins away) whilst the fan chewed the radiator cowling off. Fan won as it got quieter the closer I got to home as plastic departed:). LH front wheel ground thru the inner guard to make some room so that got quieter also;). Almost back to new by the time I got home:D. It's a gonner:(. Oh what a feeling!
    Cheers

Grantus likes this.
  13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

New description in that post, for “I drove it into the ground”.....:eek:

End of vehicle’s usable life.........:(

ruby6689 and David H like this.
  14. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I can empathise. Some years ago, at a relative's Christmas do, we were harangued about where we worked. We managed to put a lid on it but I refuse to attend any future event if the same person attends.

Fast forward to 2017 we set off to Woronora on the 24th only to take 30 minutes to cover a 2 minute stretch of the M1 around West Wallsend... Fortunately we had left an hour earlier than intended.

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Bad news at anytime Mel, and for some reason, somewhat worse at Xmas......:(

melissa likes this.
  16. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Thankfully a very quiet year this year.

Had a scary one the year before last year though. My elderly mother decided to "approach" and park a "little differently" out the front of our house. Missed the neighbour's fence by a few cm, missed our tree by a similar amount, but then went on and managed to clean up our gas main. Hearing the crunch and running out the front to see my Mum's car on top of a bent over gas main, with gas pissing out and her trying to drive off it, I think we were very very lucky something didn't go BANG!

Fortunately I was able to shut the gas off pretty quickly as whilst everything was a bit mangled, the pipe that had been ripped open was on our side of the mains valve. A foot to the left though and I think it would have been a mass evacuation.

Thankfully also the cooking had already been completed, so not only did 20 guests manage to leave with their lives, but they got a feed as well.

P.S. We picked Mum up the following year, but she insisted on driving again this year. That's ok though as lunch was at my sister's house this year.

David H likes this.
  17. KahunaKombi

Just looking at the picture it looked a write off :confused: what you can see was bad enough but the damage to what you can't see would be a fair bit :eek:

18. chris taylor

For some reason or other im starting to think we could be better off not having a xmas:(. Or sneak it in when bad luck is not looking.LOL :rolleyes:

19. chris taylor

Melissa, so sad to lose a pet you love so much , and more so at xmas .:( .

20. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Watties beans by any chance ? :p

chris taylor and melissa like this.