1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the most suitable tyre size?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by darj4x, Nov 29, 2017.

1. darj4x

darj4x New Member

I currently have stock 14" wheels with 195/75/14 tyres on my 74 Bay. I have purchased new rims that are 15" x 5.5" . What size tyres should I fit so that the rolling circumference stays the same as my original wheels and tyres? Thanks for any help

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

KahunaKombi likes this.
  3. darj4x

darj4x New Member

David H likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that the maximum tyre size for a 5.5 is 195.

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Nah....... heapsof options for 205 65

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I mean legally. I think that 205 is too wide for a 5.5 rim.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  8. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Bear in mind standard tyres are 185R14 - which is a 185/80 14 = 650mm
    Your 197/75 14 are 648 = slightly smaller
    Your 205/65 15 are 647. I suggest no issue of a 205 on a 5.5" (Subject to ET)

I actually went to 205/70 15 at 668 mm - slightly higher and slightly "geared up". I am happy with my Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV (on 15 x 6.5") 96 load
    Do you know the offset or ET of your rims? This will impact width you can use.

When choosing your new tyre - you need to think about its load rating. There is other discussion on the forum on this matter. I had undertaken a be of research on 15" tyres, happy to give some thoughts

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  9. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

I think the other thing to think about is the extra load on the steering system and weight on the steering wheel of wider tyres. When we bought our SC it had 195s which I replaced (when they wore) with 185s. The different effort required to steer was dramatic (far easier).

I am always bemused when people go for wider tyres - on any vehicle but in particular the Kombi - its a light truck for goodness sake - its not designed to drift round corners with its tail hanging out. Same deal with larger diameter wheels with lower profile tyres to match the rolling dia - All that seems to be doing is making the ride harsher

Aspro likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I fitted lower profile and wider tyres, along with decent Koni shocks, and the difference in handling is remarkable.

No drifting needed, but the reduction in body roll through cornering and even slow speed roundabouts, is impressive. ;) (Tyre wall movement is reduced).

And each time I fit new tyres, it does indeed feel like you’ve done a power steering upgrade, as there’s always less friction with the new boots! :)

The wider contact patch from the vehicle to the bitumen, is also reassuring on a safety measure.

syncro likes this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Finally some common sense.

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Getting sick of dishonest people that just make things up.

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

My tyre guy who I've been using since I had my VT SS Commodore in 1998 is extremely cautious when it comes to what tyres legally fit - when I got them in June this year he even fitted two on the rims then checked them fitted on front and rear of the Fastback to make sure they did not rub or touch anywhere they shouldn't ..... if they had he would have then not fitted that size and gone back to the best fit.

They were also the closest match with the rolling dia with a variance of +0.37% = @ 100kph you're actually doing 100.37kph.

14. Grantus

Was this directed at me, or at Syncro, as it was his quoted post in your reply? o_O

15. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

With such a powerful motor in the T3 I needed to install a rear wing to provide some down force to counteract the wheel spin :)

16. Grantus

Hopefully works better than a feral cat.......:p

17. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Sorry Grantus, Syncro was the target - someone else must have agreed as I notice the post has gone:)

18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That is incorrect if you are referring to the original tyres supplied from Volkswagen Australia.

Luckyphil likes this.
  19. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Mine came from the VW dealer with Michelin XZX tyres & many are still sitting in the clam shell unused.

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

But that was supplied by Volkswagen AG.