What's the most suitable tyre size?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by darj4x, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

And your point is???

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Would you not regard tyres with 6/8 ply rating,
    C . Reinforced. XL rated as being in the light truck genre.?

Tangles likes this.
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

1974 Kombi 185x14 Uniroyal Steel Cats. Nothing about LT.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have seen one sticker with similar but it was the exception so assumed a misprint.
    If 185.14 it would have been 185R14 ?
    Which would be LT, or rated somehow. C or reinforced.?

Technically a sticker is legal but all written material has a rating of some type.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why would that be LT?

6. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

c means cross ply as apposed to R radial
    interestingly I had a Heidenau (150 70 B 17 a bias ply tire) tire on the back of my bike when I rode the Birdsville track last year and the punishment that the tire took would easily put it in the light truck category.

radial = soft side walls
    bias and cross = stiff side walls and weight carrying capacity.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

All tyres with that nomenclature are 82 profile and light truck rated as far as I'm aware.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

In this case as the reference in Bently is C is in load rating I assume it may be referring to American load rating by letter (something like our ply equivalent ) rather than euro metric C =van.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Anyhow there is no legal requirement for a Kombi or Microbus to have LT tyres. There are standards for load index, size and performance ratings that are required. I don't know what the Kombi Club forum LT fetish is all about.

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agree they are not legally required.
    But placard is a legal indicator and all ( with one possible exception) that I have seen indicate a higher rated tyre as I indicated above.
    Design rules for mods require a passenger construction tyre replacing a Lt tyre to be upgraded by 10%.
    Load rating being 94 and the extra 10% brings requirement up to 97 in a non rated passenger tyre.

As discussed in previous threads, one reason to buy wider passenger tyres is an improvement in choice of better compound tyres.
    There is also an improvement in road manners going from 185 to 205.

11. Weekender

Weekender Active Member

Yep - I should not have used the term LT. As a passing comment, I don't have a fetish about LT. My original comment was to draw attention to matters of load rating and offset. The original poster asked a question about sizes, but I thought it useful to raise matters of load and ET. My 1978 instruction manual says tyres - all models: 185 R 14 C 6 PR . Lots of commentary on the net about what the C stands for.

paul77 and David H like this.
  12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Cranky:D or correct;).

13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Current on Old Boy is Hancook 195/75/14. Very happy. Close as I can get to Bridgestone 102's (185/78/14) that I ran for years.
    At least with the profile change I've got less chance of being booked for speeding:D. Criticism welcome but I can't do that to the tyres! Agree the steering is lighter when tyres have tread & also the closer to original is best. If you're in a kombi & want more 'handling' put on a thicker sway bar;) to the front. Get a wheel in the air & see if you've got the right set up;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017