What's the name of this piece of metal near the wheel arch?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by combiclaire, May 22, 2017.

1. combiclaire

combiclaire New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what this piece of metal near the interior wheel arch is called and hopefully some suggestions on where I can buy another for the other side. I'm extending my rock n roll seat to full width and want to rest both sides on these pieces of metal as they are stable.

Also, in my photo you'll notice that I'm using gaffa tape to seal up the small holes that are all over my kombi floor. I'm trying to stop fumes getting in the car and also about to Dynamat Xtreme the floor - but I'm wondering if the holes are supposed to be left open for drainage or something?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice I get from KombiClub members.

Claire

Attached Files:

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The galvanised folded metal is part of a rnr bed base.

Rubber plugs would be a step up from gaffer tape for the holes.
    Just in case water gets under tape n creates rust. Just being pedantic.
    You shouldn't be getting fumes thru them if your exhaust system is in good nick.
    Any smells are likely from rear door seal area or engine hatch not sealing.?

combiclaire and David H like this.
  3. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

To check your rear door seals get sudocream (baby nappy stuff from chemist - just get a small container for about $5) and rub it around the perimeter of the door frame. It's white so when you shut your door you'll clearly see where it is / isn't sealing once your re-open and see what part of the rubber may not be coated with the white sudocream. Talcum powder is what the manual says to use but that I think would be way messier and harder to use - white sudocream made much more sense to me.

The rear door seal is largely affected by the adjustment of the 4 hex head countersunk screws holding the door on at the top. If you're getting a poor seal you would likely be able to rectify by tweaking the alignment with these screws.

If nothing else, it's a quick check to ensure you're minimising noise (and fumes!) into the cabin which goes hand in hand with your dynamat install.

combiclaire and David H like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You shouldnt get a smell if your exhaust isnt leaking

Stick a tennis ball over your exhaust outlet and see if that kills your motor.

If it runs find your leak and repair that first.

Your motor will love you for it

Healthy exhaust
    Happy motor

combiclaire likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The other source of smell is from Heater boxes and via heating system

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Re ho;es in floor. Are they threaded? If so may be seat belt mounts. Were sealed with screw-in plastic plugs by VW.

7. combiclaire

combiclaire New Member

Thanks for that tip Steve - I'll try it. Though now you mention it and without looking, I'm pretty sure my seal is buggered and needs replacing.

8. combiclaire

combiclaire New Member

Oh. Ok. That sounds like a fun experiment to do with my kids :) Thanks.

9. combiclaire

combiclaire New Member

No = they are tiny holes maybe 3mm diameter. Probably around 15 or so dotted around the floor.

10. combiclaire

combiclaire New Member

YES! I don't even use the heating because of the smell. Any suggestions on what I can do about this?

I've also just today replaced the fuel breather T-piece which was falling apart so that may help fuel smells in the cabin.

Re the holes in the floor - where can I buy the rubber plugs from?

And thanks for the tip on the galvanised rnr bed metal. I'l have to see if I can make something up myself as I can't see them for sale anywhere.

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Block-out plugs of all shapes & sizes are available from Clark Rubber .....and cheap too.
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Can you post a better pic of the holes?
    Would like to see what they are meant to be

Can you post a pic of your motor so we can see if it is a type 1 or type 4

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sounds like screw holes ??
    Maybe some flooring was screwed down.
    To be fussy. You could weld each one if a welder avail then some primer. Or treat metal edge with some primer or rustproofing wax then a bung, rivet,short screw.
    Seal again.
    The tidier options that don't leave sharp projections are preferred and created a tidier kombi.
    A cap/ bung of mouldable epoxy ribbon over a cleaned surface then a spot of primer or rustproofing wax underneath would likely be better than screws.

First check for fuel smells is the source.
    Fuel lines. Weeping carbs. Fuel tank vapour lines.
    If there is a significant fuel smell its source needs to be found as it may present a potential safety issue.

http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/i/hpti/1/wimg/Shared/SlideShow/SlideShow.html?lang=en
    Check all the acessible joins

Check ratwells site for each issue.

Oil vapour smells usualy from oil leaks onto heater boxes.
    Attend to such leaks and degrease ,the heater boxes. Rinse well.
    Usual source is rocker cover gasket and,or push rod tubes.
    After degreasing in situ the h boxes will stink for quite a while
    Usualy heater boxes are rusted with holes which is why the fumes get into cabin air.
    People often disconnect the connecting tubes to stop the smell but being in Tassie you may need to sort the problem instead.
    Some repairs may be possible but replacement is usual and expensive.
    Silicone can be used to seal some gaps roughly.

Strong exhaust fumes inside cab that sting the eyes can be from exhaust pipes broken internally in heater box. Uncommon issue.

A process of elimination.
    Discern the smell type and follow sources and entry routes for each systematically.