When do you get back out on the road?

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Chidori, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Hi fellow Victorians!
    Today's beautiful winter weather has made me wonder - when do you get back out there and start camping again?
    I'm sure there's those of you who are crazy enough to camp throughout the colder months. But for those of us who don't like to wake up with hypothermia, when do you take the Kombi out and start camping?
    As this will be our first spring / summer with our Kombi, we weren't sure when we should start planning trips for.
    At a guess, i'm thinking October might be starting to be slightly warmer throughout the night?

2. skat66

skat66 Member

3. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Ya gotta be kidding, after Skenes Creek I'm not getting out of bed until reVOLKS !!!!!!!!!

4. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

As long as your kombi is as watertight as possible you can make it nice and comfy. I know it's up North for you Mexicans but Camping at Valla was awesome. We did get good weather and a few ales always help. I say get out as soon as you can and enjoy :)

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

6. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

When you can feel the heater working.
    We had snow here in Canberra last week, but I drove the kombi to work :)
    Try a run tomOcean Grove, always a nice day trip.

7. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

If you wake up with hypothermia, you packed the wrong bedding. ;)

Forget sleeping bags; take 2 (or 3) pillows, sheets, doona, blanket and hot water bottle. Make it a proper bed and snuggle in with a book. These are luxury homes-away-from-home that we enjoy. :D

8. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Winter is the best time for camping IMO as there are few other campers, campfires are particularly enjoyable and it is just a nice time to get away as everything is greener, waterfalls have water, deserts have flowers etc etc.

Alice and I are hoping to have two or three private trips in the next couple of months before summer, as we now prefer to camp alone. Our next big trip though will be next Easter, when we head up to the Gold Coast for the Bus Stop - we will take a week to get up there (we could do it in two or three days, but we want a slow crawl), and then three or four weeks afterwards heading north or north west and back on one of our usual random trips.

I think kombis are an all-year thing, and winter perhaps is the best time as the free campsites are normally empty. It is always warm inside the tin tent.

9. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

I agree with Woz and Fekkinel With the correct bedding winter is smug n snugley , pop the wheat bag in the microwave or fill the hot water bottle warm the bed and argue who gets up first to boil the billy in the morning !
    Mark

10. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

All good advice!
    So, with all that in mind, does anybody have some really good preferred winter camp spots?
    Somewhere that allows campfires and would be suitable for a weekend getaway from Melbourne. I'm thinking that the couple of places that I know on the great ocean road that allow fires are either closed (skenes) for winter or would just be too cold on the ocean!!
    Maybe I also need to man up. ;)

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Can't give any advice on places around Melbourne but up this way there are a few. We camp all year around. I agree with the earlier posts. If you take the correct bedding it is a great time of year. Around Canberra is probably a little cooler than down that way.

Ian

12. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

By 'correct bedding' do you mean electric blanket?? :)

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Hot water bottle!!

14. Kombi Dad

No. My battery wont stand up to that, so I have to depend on the doona.

Ian

15. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

I thought it was pretty warm once the fire got going!! Mind you, Kat did some terrible wailing about having her butt in the breeze overnight:umm: Molly and I hogged the rest of the bed:lol:

16. xerxes

xerxes Member

My first camping trip was down Venus Bay way dead of winter first night I froze second night I remembered I had the hot water bottle - woke up cold at 4am reheated the water and slept till 9.30 by then the sun was up (granted it was winter victoria sun) so cozy and hearing the ocean while you're snuggled up in the back of the kombi ..bliss (and seriously I HATE the winter) just got back from Valla with no heater in kombi that was an experience of cold travel not in a hurry to remember (I had a quilt on driving glad it was mostly freeway cause the blankets were so heavy I could barely lift my leg to change gears) but you can't wait for summer to camp not in Victoria - it might not come :D

17. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Weather is looking a bit better here in Melbourne, although still very cold overnight. Thinking an adventure won't be far off!

18. Kombi Dad

We are camping this weekend. Local up here can be down to -6 overnight. The days are great getting up to the high teens. A good campfire and plenty of doona should do the trick.

Ian