1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is 2nd gear?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Jenny Frappell, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Jenny Frappell

Jenny Frappell Active Member

I am finding 2nd gear to be very hit and miss. Is this a common thing? Can gear synchro be fixed?

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Have u always had a problem with 2nd or is it new ? Hows reverse ?

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Could be one of many moving parts or a combination of any.
    Start with the driver and work your way from the gear lever all the way to the clutch.
    Floor plate could have moved and linkages under the cab floor may be worn. Clutch and box would be the last things I would check.
    Good luck.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Chris... ^
    May have dropped on of the bolt/screws on the selector coupling in front of the gearbox.
    Check the shift plate position, then selector bush, then selector coupling.
    Rule these out before you worry about the gearbox ....
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thread title I could be smart with but won't :p

What Chris and Mark said - it is possible that the gear lever has been removed at some stage for gear rod bush replacement or some maintenance and the gear lever not being replaced properly - there is a ball at the bottom of the lever and a lug/tab thing which must sit fully into the gear rod front connector/coupling, there must also be a spring and plate - check this out http://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-gearbox-cv-joints.html

Jenny Frappell likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As above. If its only 2nd and its hard to find then crack the floor mounted selector plate bolts and tap the plate to left and rear a few mm and tighten bolts. Check if selection is easier and second engages fully . hopefuly that doesnt lose other gears. Continue till you find all gears. There are other ways but if its only one gear this should work if you adjust to allow deeper selection of the difficult gear. Mark around the perimiter of the plate before you start in case you move it too much. Improving the slop in the bush under the gearshift and rear joiner also gives improvements. We are assuming that other gears select ok. Ie clutch is adjusted correctly

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Is this a first experience driving a manual kombi? :rolleyes:

I only ask, because several (non kombi) people that borrow my T3, ALL have had problems finding 2nd gear, yet I've never had a problem, nor has any kombi driver that takes them for a cruise. o_O

It may just take some getting used too....;)

8. Jenny Frappell

Yes. It's a first for a kombi. I did learn to drive in an e20 Nissan mini-bus, and I did drive manuals for 20 years, autos for the last 10 years. I am ok with reverse. When it goes into 2nd there is a bit of a clunk.
    Thanks for all the advise.

9. Grantus

I owned an e20 Nissan 5 years before I owned a Kombi, (33 years ago)....:)

Very different gear change between the two....;)

10. Jenny Frappell

Reverse is fine. I have only had the bus for 8 weeks and 2nd has always been an issue. I am fully depressing the clutch.

11. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Can you find every gear easily when the engine is off? If you can it could be the clutch.

12. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

My '75 is the same Aspro, can't change a gear while mobile but can get gears while engine is not running. :(

13. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

My '75 is my first Kombi is my first time Grant, I've been driving 18 speed gearboxes all my adult life and if I have trouble with a 4 speed I'm not going to be impressed.:eek::D

14. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Shifting gears even in a brand new Kombi (anyone got one they stashed in a shed 40 years ago :rolleyes:) is a slower and 'feel' orientated shift. Modern car gearboxes are precise, tight and have short throws. They have much more complicated and efficient synchro systems. Kombis can never shift into gears like that - the main reason is the length of the shifting components and also the number of shifting components (from front to rear of vehicle). Longer shift rods, more joins or connections = more play, more vibration. When you combine that with a bit of wear in the system you get multiplied 'play' and less precision. As I said, even a brand new Kombi (standard factory) gearbox cannot be jammed quickly through the gears. Kombi technique is to 'gently feel' the gear stick into gear, especially 2nd. With 40 years of wear that may become 'coax' it into gear with a gear stick that feels like it's moving through soft butter.
    Reading the above posts, I'm sure wenmac and Jenny Frappell have plenty of experience changing manual gearboxes (including old cars) but I mention the above for understanding and clarification.
    The couple that bought my 15 window splitty were older and experienced drivers but not in Kombis. When they first drove it they were crunching gears/ not finding gears because they were trying to drive it like a modern, short throw gearbox - when I explained that she is an old girl and you need to 'feel' your way through the gears and not force the gear changes, they understood. And practice and patience makes perfect.
    Good luck with the 2nd gear issues and hopefully it doesn't require a rebuild.... :)

15. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A momentary pause in neutral helps too!
    Cheers,
    Mark

vwfreak03 and Jenny Frappell like this.
  16. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I thought all kombi's came with a 2nd gear that made you feel like you're stirring a bowl of porridge trying to find it :p

chenko and StevieVW like this.
  17. Jenny Frappell

I will check that. Thank you.

18. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

We had the same problem with 2nd and reverse.
    Turns out it was the clutch cable tubing had bent into an L shape (instead of a smooth U shape) which stopped the clutch being fully depressed when selecting those gears.
    Replaced the tube, all smooth now. Might be something to look at?

19. Grantus

I had a clutch issue that caused some "clunking" into gear.

Park on level ground, depress clutch all the way, find second gear, and see if the bus wants to move even with the clutch fully depressed, ie, clutch NOT disengaging engine fully.

How low is the pedal to the floor before it engages?

20. Jenny Frappell

That's very interesting. I will look into that.