1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get Seatbelts

Discussion in 'Interior' started by OSF, Jul 11, 2018.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Where is the best place to get new seatbelts. I need to get a full new set for my DC reasonably urgently and lots of the usual suspects seem to be out of them.

Obviously I'm looking for a quality and Aus. compliant product.

Any recommendations?

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Go direct to Hemco. My rep back in the day was Wayne. You can choose colour and lengths to suit your particular install.
    For 8 of them it cost me about $600 4 years ago.

Poptop likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I got new front seat ones for the Type3 from https://www.seatsafe.com.au/ ........ very helpful and a variety of colours + ADR approved unlike some sold by VW shops that they say are ISO (QA Standard) :rolleyes:.
    Though think they may have been made by Hemco as Brad has posted ;)

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Just spoke with Borris (VVDS). Sounds like he has what I need and he's only 40min away. A full set is going to cost me $1k. I'll have a look at those others though (and any other places people suggest), as I was kinda hoping I cold get something for a bit less than this. That will be 6 belts though so I suppose it's fair enough. Not sure what brand etc Borris is selling.

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

x 2 68 BUS comments .I go direct to Hemco as well .Wayne been great help with me before.

7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I got mine off the site KahunaKombi recommended
    Seatsafe
    They have listings for t2's

8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Thanks all
    Gave VVDS a call back to check the details and they had some Black Hemco ones in stock, so I took a drive over to suss them out. They let me swap out the rigid stalk buckles with a soft (belt) ones where required (front passenger and each side at the rear) and the total price was $827.20, so I grabbed them. I might have got them a bit cheaper if I had gone to Hemco direct, but I was in one of those impatient "I want/need it now moods", so I'm very happy I got this sorted.

Along with the learning of "do your research", this resto has also taught me is "if it's what you want and it's there in front of you, just get it now".

IMAG4368 (800x478) (1024x498).jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

My purchase of the Hemco seatbelts from Borris was a little rushed as I thought I was going to be installing them this weekend and needed them asap. Anyway my DC wasn't ready for the seatbelts this weekend, but I did manage to have a good look at them and compare and contrast the Hemco Universal ones to my original ones.

The verdict
    I'm very happy with the quality of the Hemco ones but not so happy with some of the minor details of the actual ones I purchased. Some of the anchor plates are angled slightly differently and I'm also not so happy they don't have a left and right version of the Static and Inertia Lap/Sash belt (not having this doesn't make sense to me /// as they don't remain symmetrical when swapped around). So I've measured up exactly what I want (complete with buckle anchor details) and I'll now have to go back to Borris and or Hemco to get it sorted. If Borris has what I need then all good and I'll swap them out, but if not I'll have to go back to Hemco and perhaps even get some of them modified.

It never works for me when I rush things .... Arrrhhhhhhh!!!

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

To do the front inertia belts you need the brackets that you can get from bustop, and they are left and right to suit. The belts are the same but the brackets angle them tso the work in the same plane on each side. You might already have noted this.

Adrain

11. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah. Noted. I've got my old brackets that will fit.