Which engine is the pick of the bunch?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by SuppsByJase, Dec 19, 2016.

1. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

Hey guys,

In my hunt for a Kombi, I am noticing alot of different engine sizes being offered over the years!

The 2.0l seems to be pretty common in the later models that I have been seeing. Is this the largest capacity offered as a factory option?

Is there a list of what models were offered in particular engines?

Thankyou

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Like all cars the engine engine capacity increased over time as did design.

Earlier Kombi's had a 1600 cc engine with dog house fan oil cooler & single carbie .... 1972 on the style changed to "pancake" or flat style and capacity increased to 1700 then 1800 then 2000, dual carbies then efi (1979 and maybe 1978).
    Some say the some of the engine components from the 1700 work better in the 2000 engine BUT finding the components isn't easy and you have to know what they are.
    If you increase the capacity of the engine from original and maintain the original tansaxle eg 1600 engine with 1600 transaxle is original but increase say to 1835 or bigger then you start making the engine rev higher to achieve the same speed SO make sure the transaxle is matched as close as possible to the engine capacity (revs to work on are 3000rpm (+ say 10%) @ 100 kph.

Answer to your question is yes the 2L was the largest capacity offered as a factory option ..... as for list :rolleyes:

StevieVW likes this.
  3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be very concerned with engine size in my hunt. They're all roughly on par. Slow that is.
    A reliable 1600 will be a much better option than a rough 2L
    I'd be looking for a solid body first and foremost. Don't get caught up with the engine size.

4. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I agree and engine parts are quite cheap and readily available, in old cars its always buy the best body you can as mechanicals can be replaced easily.

Barry and Aspro like this.
  5. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

How does changing the engine size but keeping the original transaxle make the engine run faster at a given speed?

The RPM will be the same for any given speed, but the larger engine will allow you to go faster and therefore give higher RPM - the 1600 gearbox has a different ratio which will give lower RPM for a given speed.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Blunderbus likes this.
  6. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Other way around MY, a 1600 gb with give higher rpm/speed than say an 1800 gb and a 2l gb will be lower again, but then a higher ratio (lower numerically) means getting off the line is harder in a small engine. so match the gb to the motor or give the motor more poke to compensate.

Mellow Yellow 74 likes this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

.....and please don't forget that kombis were never designed to be quick off the mark.
    Yes, they'll climb a brick wall but it'll be a slow climb ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

stusbus likes this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Scenario - 2.2litre Pobjoy type 1 engine hooked up to 1600 transaxle (ok standard 1600 gearbox etc = transaxle) @ 100kph it does 3800 rpms and at this constant higher than normal rpm the engine oil heats up quicker and without oil temp gauge you'll end up cooking it and what it's doing to the gearbox well some expert out there bound to know. RPM @ 100kph should be 3000/3200 rpm.

Configuration in above scenario I had in a Bay DC I owned and thus why I raised it PLUS Matt Berry who looked after it raised it with me when in for the 1st service he did on it after I took it too him following buying it in NSW.

People can do as they please, question asked and I've just posted 1st hand experience.

grumble likes this.
  9. tillis

tillis Active Member

heheh...the best engine for a vw is subaru...although the aircooled are fun if you enjoy museum pieces...which i do...currently own a 73 bay with VT holden 3.8 in it and an aircooled T3..the 2litre is the best of the kombis as is the 091 box and starter, flywheel clutch etc that go with it

10. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

If i buy one interstate I'm assuming it needs to be whatever was meant to he in it as I will need to get an ID check done to get it registered here in South Australia.

Was the EFI a more reliable set up or once the twin carbs are set up and tuned properly they do the job?

11. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

Is yours the blue one for sale at the moment with the Holden V6?

12. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Just be aware that the engine in a kombi might not be the one it is supposed to have. Some people like to get the 2L engine and the 2L "6rib" gear box and put them in their rebuilt something else. And the older engine & box are in a newer VW. A lot of things can happen over 40 years...

Have a read of this thread
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/engine-codes.7284/

13. Mellow Yellow 74

Yeah, true - I was actually thinking in terms of my KG which has a 1200 gearbox but a 1600 engine.

14. Mellow Yellow 74

I reckon this was more about wheel/tyre size than the engine size - if you have the same wheels/tyres and gearbox the flywheel will still spin at the same RPM at 100km/h irrespective of how big the engine is.

13bvw likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I think Bert was more likely indicating the need to match an engine( or its power band) to overall gearbox ratios.
    Obviously with engine swaps being not uncommon one needs to check that gearbox is correct for motor but the same principle applies to significantly modified engines ie match output to relevent overall ratios.

Obviously for first kombi , sticking to an unmodified is the best bet for chasing parts and getting someone to work on the bus without additional costs to rectify any dodgy mods.

I agree a near solid body first priority over engine size.
    EFI or carbs. Whichever you end up with, pay the money to get it in good condition and either will serve well.
    A good 2 litre is more relaxed driving if thats whats attached to a sound kombi in your price range.
    Type 1 engines are cheaper for stock rebuild.

peter drogi likes this.
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If you look at even later model Kombi's, you could enjoy the factory fitted 2.1 litre wasserboxer.......;)

grumble likes this.
  17. tillis

tillis Active Member

I know the one you mean but no mine is the one in my avatar and its not for sale...its going to cape york next year!

18. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

Good question, but what are you going to use your Kombi for?
    Could be horses for course!
    Although a lot of well informed comments above, I have had a 1600 in a low light years ago, ok for cruising around, but I found it a real task to drive long distances, maybe I was an impatient youth.
    Now have an 1800cc bay camper, much better for longer distances, 3500km's planned for the Christmas New Year break.
    Have been booked at 122kmh on the way to Old Bar, so it cruises quite well.

Back to my first question, what are you planning to do in your Kombi?

Steve

David H likes this.
  19. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

I don't know :p - yes they are good for cruising but can be surprisingly quick with the right combination and $

20. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Assuming you're buying a bay window, then the 1600 cc motor with single carburetor, twin port heads and dog box oil cooler is by far the best engine. Kombis, and the people who drive kombis, were never meant to go fast. And, with this engine, you can be rest assured you won't be going fast! But that's a good thing, as I will now explain.

I notice above there's talk of it being a chore to drive a 1600 on the freeway. And that's why, whenever I go cruising in the kombi, I do my best to avoid the freeway and instead choose winding country roads where 80 km/hour is the perfect kombi touring speed. When I plan a long trip in my daily drive, I plan to average about 100 km/hour (country) and allow enough time to complete the trip at that speed. In the kombi, I allow enough time to take the winding country roads averaging 60-70 km/hour. Yes, it will take twice as long to get there! But I don't care. I've worked out that the best part of driving a kombi is actually the journey and not the destination. Some of the things I've seen and done on these trips has been awesome. Whereas in my daily drive, it's a boring chore to simply cruise on a freeway for hours where everything looks the same, there are no discoveries, and the trip is just another trip like all the others.

So, the 1600 cc is the best motor because it forces you to think differently and that's a good thing :)