Which engine is the pick of the bunch?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by SuppsByJase, Dec 19, 2016.

1. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

Thankyou for the reply!

I have a SS Wagon for a daily driver and a 1000cc sportsbike for fun so speed isn't a high priority!

But i want to travel and do some road trips in the Kombi! I'm leaning towards the bigger 2.0l as it will rev lower and make more power easily!

2. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Scary guys.. C'mon, we're living in this century. I think you need to stick in whatever engine/gearbox/diff combo that's going to give you a comfortable 100k cruising speed or at least keep up with the traffic. If not, you're a sitting duck on the firing range waiting for an accident to happen.
    So, my vote is staying safe, not getting rear ended and upgrade to today's speed so you can preserve both your precious brick and your family.
    Oh, and Mr Beckstar, I love the romance of your thinking but most of our members probably don't have the luxury of time for the country lane.. too bad, as you say, it should all be about enjoying the journey there.

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Scary ?, I think not.
    Doubt anyone gets rear ended 'cause they're driving a kombi.....that's more about reckless driving by the numpty in the fast four.....A slower, predictable vehicle that maintains speed is not a risk compared to an erratic lead foot that drives in unpredictable bursts of speed....
    Keep up with the traffic....? Bah !:p
    I have found that cruising on 95 on the freeways has a lot of benefits.
    1. Modern cars just go around you
    2. The only vehicles you'll need to overtake will be trucks on hills
    3. Engine temp. stays within a comfortable range.
    4. Fuel economy is at its best at this (cruising) speed.
    5. I am rarely stressed about catching up with that slow vehicle up front.
    6. I have time to appreciate the view.
    etc. etc. etc.......
    Any original VW engine can cruise at these speeds if kept in optimum condition.
    I run a stock 2 ltr. and my son, a stock 1600....once up to speed we can cruise together all day.:cool:
    It's really only rapid acceleration that is lacking. If you want that, why drive a kombi in the first place? I know of twin turbo buses etc. that can do that but that type of build comes a great cost.
    Each to their own.
    Original, whatever capacity, in best possible condition with matched carb/s, dizzy etc. to engine will outlast tricky builds.......and you can diagnose/deal with any potential issues on the road yourself.
    Just my 2 Bob's worth.
    Cheers,
    Mark

bern, Maccas, Zombi and 5 others like this.
  4. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

What he said - unless you're after a serious asphalt burner that's capable of winning at LeMons.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

:D:pBuy a late bay with 1800 or 2l then you get a top engine hatch to work thru.

And dont have to make excuses about driving slow .

David H and oldman like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nothing slow (except long hills!) about my F/I 76 2litre. Nor does it run hot!
    What cbus says. You'll be happy. That's as good as kombi motoring gets!
    Cheers,
    David H

7. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

Just travelled 1500 kms in my 1800 kombi from Coffs Harbour to Mildura, cruised well at 100 kms (plus!) needed to reset the points at Balranald but no issues at all

oldman and Grantus like this.
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice :cool:
    Just how it should be.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I don't know if what engine you have really matters to a point .It is what you feel more comfortable with and it's more to do with the owner maintaining (looking after)it Servicing it. It's like picking a kombi what's better, The opinion will be widely debated ,with no real winner. You look after your kombis engine the Kombi will then look after you.The smile:D will travel on with you wherever you go.:cool:

David H, Blunderbus and Marlyn like this.
  10. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

You're right Wayne.. we all have different needs and comfort zones. Me.. I love having an old looking bus with modern day performance.. and thats does not mean lead foot performance and erratic driving.
    I get a buzz that my bus is a bit of a sleeper ( both in performance and it has a bed! ) and enjoy the fact I surprise few modern day cars when I go past in the 110 fast lane... And then when I get off the freeway my bus takes on another personality and just burble's along like and old VW should, with a couple a surfboards in the back.. thats my happy place.

David H, Wayne murray and MAP77 like this.
  11. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

Do they all have points? Or can you upgrade them to electronic ignition?

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jane,
    Always in the old buses unless they've been upgraded with electronic.

bern likes this.