1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which exhaust?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by grapeape, Jan 28, 2010.

1. grapeape

grapeape Member

My old school brain says go with the original, it will provide the back pressure and VW whistle the way the factory intended....

My 'other' brain says go the Empi extractors, get a better exhaust note, a bit more power and possibly better fuel economy....

"Help me Obi-wan-KombiClub, your my only hope!"

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what you want to achieve - do you really hear the exhaust ???

If your ride is original specs (or close enough to) then stay original but if modified then go the empi.

3. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

I'm likin' the quiet pack I just fitted to Gypsy's Lowlight.

Ray & da Boyz

4. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I just put on a dual tip empi exhaust. A little louder than the stock exhaust it replaced but not excessively so. Looks the bees-knees though.

5. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

my empi twin tip has gone very rusty in 18 mont. undercover. they sound ok, but IMO are not excellent quality. ymmv. the muffler part can be painted pot belly black, but the Chrome is pretty average as well.

all reports i've heard of do not point to better performance.

6. Carter

Carter Member

Personally I wouldn't go Empi. I got a thunderbird extractor for my 1600cc... Changed the note a little...but I think that was cause the old muffler was buggered anyways. It still goes along fine..Performance wise, didn't notice too much difference. Maybe running a little cooler but i'm not 100% sure on that... They make Thunderbird extractors for 1600 and 17 18 and 20.

7. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I painted mine in pot belly black about a year ago and only just got around to putting them on.

8. tar76

tar76 New Member

Go the extractors, then go buy a real muffler somthing like a ultra flow and you won't look back. I'm not a big believer in needing back pressure!

9. Carter

Carter Member

Extractor Then muffler is a good idea. Might have to pay a bit e tra for the zorst shop to match it up. How's the hills go with no back pressure tar76? Haha