1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who remembers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bagman, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't have a pic, back in the dark ages I had a 45 rpm record player that worked much the same way as a modern cd unit, handling / storing the records was a pain and the stylus tracking pressure was quiet high in order to limit needle bounce and lost tracking, and yes it destroyed the records in quicktime.
    I had the unit installed in my Ford Prefect, one of the finest products of the British Motor Industry :eek: the Prince of darkness electrics (Lucas) was positive earth so I made a wooden box to house the negative earth player in.
    Some time later I fitted a brand new Lucas alternator (1965 ish) in place of the failed generator and yes you guessed it,I forgot about the record player and let the smoke out plus a host of other electrical effects :oops:.....................the beginnings of 45+ years in the engineering and electrical industries.
    I must have learned something cause I'm still here :)

Grantus and oldman like this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

And you had the Strip Maps for long trips up the coast or down or inland - NRMA used to give these out for free.

wirrah likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

There was also Neptune - they had a toy racing mini .....I got one @ the Neptune @ Tuggerah and then converted it into a slot car

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. KahunaKombi

Here you go - we had one

[​IMG]

drivesafe, David H and oldman like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

7. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Yes but was it the size of a fridge?

8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Totally off topic...

Esso was one of the many results of the anti-trust/monopoly break up for the Rockefellers' Standard Oil Company. "Ess" "O" = "SO" = Standard Oil. How do I know this? Keep up with me on this. An heiress Geraldine Rockefeller, married to the Mr. Dodge of the Remington Armaments manufacturer...

Keep up...

Geraldine was the most famous and influential ENGLISH COCKER SPANIEL breeder in the US (Giralda) in the 30s and 40s who was very much responsible for the recognition of the English Cocker as a separate breed in the US as opposed to the American Cocker.

Don't shoot me. I have 2 American Cocker rescues.

Anybody remember Neptune petrol stations?

TeeBee, David H and oldman like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Bert mentioned Neptune earlier.
    I have a vague recollection of the Trident used on their sign, but cannot honestly remember them...
    They were the days when there was competition between petrol stations........
    Cheers,
    Mark

bagman likes this.
  10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

The only Neptune service station I remember was on the corner of the Kingsway and Port Hacking Road in Caringbah in my long ago school days.

11. KahunaKombi

Mobil Petrol Stations used to be around the place but then went into hibernation ..... I see they are now supplying the 7eleven shops/servo's and Pacific Petroleum stations ..... in Qld if no where else :rolleyes:

12. oldman

Where I am, there is an independent distributor, Hill &Co. that retail Mobil fuel and products.....but no Mobil stations themselves.
    cheers,
    Mark

13. oldman

There’s something else I remember....Service Stations!
    A place where it was normal to pull up, have someone fill your tank, check your oil and tyres and wash your windscreen.
    I worked on the drive for Golden Fleece while I was at school.....it really was a service provider. There was even a spare parts shop as part of the site. Good times and lots of great memories.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

MAP77, KahunaKombi and Jethro like this.
  14. KahunaKombi

Some years back we ventured for a weekend away out @ Boonah ..... checked everything twice except for the petrol :confused: ...... pulled into a small village and it had old style fuel pumps - turn the knob to zero the last sale and then flick the lever which also held the trigger handle to start the pump and fill - owner was amazed I knew how to use it:eek:;) as he came out after I'd started it up and offered to take over and if he needed to check anything = no thanks just need the fuel. Wife needed a coffee and so enjoyed one in the cafe inside:D.

This was a Service Station with a few modern amenities inside.

oldman likes this.
  15. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Well if we are going to get nostalgic - anyone remember when they sold oil in cans- might have been cardboard with metal tops - you bought a metal plunger/spout which you shoved through the top and used it as a spout - threw the can away and kept the opener/spout for next time, or defrosters that were a mini electric radiator about 200mm long with suction caps that you stuck to the bottom inside of the windshield. or acrylic windscreens that you stuck to the outside of your windscreen to save it breaking and you were able to still use your wipers (at least once before it became too scratched), or finding pieces of shattered glass in weird places for years after you were unlucky enough to break a windscreen, and Holden introducing the revolutionary "zone toughened windscreen" which had a small area in front of the driver that you could see through if the rest of the windscreen shattered, or cross ply tyres, or............

jeeze Louise I must be getting old

Wayne murray, David H and oldman like this.
  16. oldman

Not only oil in a can......we used to refill the oil bottles at Golden Fleece, for the driveway.
    Came in 1/2 pint or pint glass with a screw on spout. Six to a wire crate and they sat between the bowsers.
    Recently, I’ve seen them as collector’s items in antique shops !
    Cheers,
    Mark

KahunaKombi likes this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

They fetch amazing dollars these days, and quite sort after.

If only we had the foresight, to fill a shed with all those ones being thrown away at the time......:rolleyes:

oldman likes this.
  18. oldman

Yup, I remember binning crates of those oil containers AND countless Sam the Ram Golden Fleece signs....the raised, 3. D ones.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus likes this.
  19. KahunaKombi

Metal beer cans you had to pierce with an opener :)

And 750ml cans of beer :confused: ..... Falls Creek & some of the ski lodges had admission fee of 1 x case of cans available down the road @ the shop - chilled by putting outside in a trough and filled with snow circa 1977 :eek:

oldman likes this.
  20. oldman

That would have been Snowlands Bert. We were Falls Creek regulars for many many many years . It was our Family holiday every year. When we first went, the only lifts were the Poma next to Cummings, the Summit T bar, Village T bar, Sun Valley T bar and the Gulley chairlift. We had a Family membership to Vikings on Parallel Street.
    Now THAT brings back great memories.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

KahunaKombi likes this.