1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who remembers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bagman, Jun 28, 2020.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't really know how we survived these.... We had an old fibro shed in the back yard and on cracker night we'd stand on opposite sides of it and fire marbles through it, trying to guess where the next one would come through.... :eek:
    Kept us amused for ages...... and we all survived unscathed! (not really sure how though....)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Barry, Wayne murray and Grantus like this.
  2. oldman

Thunders were the go!
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Which was your favourite thunderbird ?
    10A7062E-9357-45CF-BF4F-91E26424DB66.jpeg

MAP77 and oldman like this.
  4. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Well-Known Member

Mine is def #2. He could do lots.

oldman likes this.
  5. oldman

Lady Penelope.........:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Jurgen Grossmutter likes this.
  6. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

Thunderbird 2 was the best. Virgil was a great pilot flying the rescue missions - "Thunderbirds are go"

Jurgen Grossmutter likes this.
  7. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

8. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

9. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Lanock motors camperdown NSW 3DE7FBAC-71E4-41FB-B2A3-F96164292C3A.jpeg

tintop, MAP77, Wayne murray and 2 others like this.
  10. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

Did you buy yours from there back in 79?

11. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Well I’m glad you asked @MAP77 -.......back in 1980 a long long time ago I remember getting off the bus here 3 stops before my normal stop and checking out all the kombis for sale. One day in the show room there was a brand new 79’ Marino yellow/white microbus , it was the last one in the state if I believed the sales guy , and probably was as they were already making the T3 on the production lines in Germany but not yet available down under until some time 1982.
    To cut a long story short , it was a manual 2lt FI with tan interior , the price was $9950 driveway and including pre delivery but no radio . As young 18 yr old I was rather short $4k but asked if a holding deposit could make do until the end of the month, - no deal ! . The one that got away . 6 months later and on the same road but 5 klm further a ‘ 79, no I mean ‘ 78 or is it a 77 [thats another short / long story] a Marino yellow /white Auto, 2Lt FI , black interior with 68,000 on the dial - purchase price after haggle $9500, and still no radio ...... however I do remember taking it to Lanock’s for Services and seeing all the other kombis in for service , and lots of 77- 79 dual cabs some by owned by LNC industries - every colour combo too ; where are they now :( - .... thanks for asking .
    DEA426AF-C3BA-42E2-9FF4-1A1D3F195D28.jpeg

MAP77, Wayne murray and tintop like this.
  12. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

I looked there in 79 ... their last one was white on orange(ish) ... I bought the last one (green) from the Blacktown dealership instead ... just under $10k

MAP77 and bagman like this.
  13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Just saw bagmans post. I was 19 and my dad spotted me the difference between my trade in (4x4 Subaru) and the new Kombi

MAP77 and bagman like this.
  14. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Fascinating, if you bought the last sage green in ‘79 then most likely the sales man was not pulling my leg early jan 1980..

15. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

My dad loaned be the short fall this time so I Would not miss out again . My father had a way with buying things, being a hard working new Australian , if he wanted to buy a washing machine , he would say I want that one and that one only , sales person would say we have a new one out back in a box , no he wanted that one, and when no one was looking he would sign his name behind the machine with a black marker , if it came with out his name... well any way he didn’t sign his name on the rear the kombi, but after agreeing to buy he made me cross the rd and buy a HB pencil and paper to write down the chassis no , engine and rego number ... I was happy to do that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    MAP77, Wayne murray and tintop like this.
  16. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

MAP77 and oldman like this.
  17. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

That was where I bought my '87 'Velle from. Had originally gone to their yard in Herbert St. St Leonards but they shortly closed it so back to Camperdown. The '84 was purchased new from Larke Hoskins, Miranda.

18. oldman

Which is why they were sooo damn hot !…….so you couldn’t taste them….;)
    Cheer,
    Mark

19. Ijam

Ijam Active Member

I did the water pipe, bent one end to resemble a pistol and used to fire from my bike.

20. oldman

….when garbos “ran the bins”……?
    I’ve just watched a very tech., quiet garbage truck with a single operator clear our street’s wheels bins in about 3 minutes flat.
    It doesn’t seem that long ago when there would have been a noisy truck, dripping hydraulic fluid, driven by an operator, supported by two (usually) footy players emptying galvanised bins in the back, frisbee-ing the lids on the lawn and chucking the bins back on the nature strip….it used to be quite a different operation!
    Aside from the reduced employment…….I prefer the new system……;)
    Cheers,
    Mark